• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How in the damn world can I double laser from Short Hop?

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I know how it's done, but I cannot seem to move my fingers fast enough to make it happen.
I've got close to all his other tools under my belt, but this one eludes me and I would love to add blaster pressure to my game, because it will force my opponents to come in.
What can I do to practice making my thumb faster?

tauKhan

Smash Lord
Use tip of your thumb to hit downcorner of y and slide to b, you can even press the b with middle of thumb, so you need shorter slide. Repeat it over and over doing it as fast as you can, and you should get fast enough pretty quickly.

I don't think shdls are useful in many matchups though.

Unwavering_Canadian

Smash Apprentice
Ya, use the sliding motion from Y to double tap B. It's the same method for multi-shining. Once you get it, try multishining with the same technique (but instead, Y to single tap B). Four frames to multishine with fox, six frames to multishine with falco.

Last edited:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Hm. Idk if you guys have ever heard this john before, but my hands are literally too small to do this. My thumb simply doesn't cover the amount of area and a really uncomfortable stretch has to be made to get the slide to happen. I've been able to do it about 3/10 by sliding my thumb straight over top of the A button (because Fox is still preparing to jump) before Fox aerials, but that makes short hopping less consistent.

Idk, tap jumping the short hop has been easiest so far, so I'll probably practice it that way.

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Hm. Idk if you guys have ever heard this john before, but my hands are literally too small to do this. My thumb simply doesn't cover the amount of area and a really uncomfortable stretch has to be made to get the slide to happen. I've been able to do it about 3/10 by sliding my thumb straight over top of the A button (because Fox is still preparing to jump) before Fox aerials, but that makes short hopping less consistent.

Idk, tap jumping the short hop has been easiest so far, so I'll probably practice it that way.
sliding from Y to B isn't very hard once you figure it out and I think it's the most simple method. if your controller is loose/stiff enough people like to SHDL with tapping UP and pushing B twice.

I do the slide. try it out. start with your thumb on Y push/slide down to B. basically you push Y and B from one motion. you push Y all the way down but you're pushing kind of "down" towards the B button and the motion ends on B. so then all you have to do is push B again.

Y->B one motion, then hit B again
one push should hit both buttons (B slightly after Y, I don't know a better way to describe it rather than sliding from Y to B and hitting them both in one slide/pushing motion)

you don't need big fingers or fast fingers to do this really, you just have to get the feel for it

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Grab your controller but without actually playing the game press X then B twice, do it slowly and with extreme focus. Repeat this 200 times every day.

Do the real thing on weekends, but for no more then 15 minutes straight.

After a month you should see significant progress.

Last edited:

BTmoney

a l l b e c o m e $
Grab your controller but without actually playing the game press X then B twice, do it slowly and with extreme focus. Repeat this 200 times every day.

Do the real thing on weekends, but for no more then 15 minutes straight.

After a month you should see significant progress.
I do not mean to be rude but I highly recommend you, drodeka, do not learn how to shdl with X. that sounds 10x harder to me and I don't think there is an advantage to learning it that way. I think the best methods are sliding, using up on the control stick, or having fast enough fingers in the first place to just tap the three buttons using Y/B (in order of difficulty)

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
I use "Y" to jump, and is there any picture you could make in paint to help me along in understanding what the motion you're talking about is? I just can't seem to grasp it really.

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Ya, use the sliding motion from Y to double tap B. It's the same method for multi-shining. Once you get it, try multishining with the same technique (but instead, Y to single tap B). Four frames to multishine with fox, six frames to multishine with falco.
I can multishine pretty consistently using up to jump.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I do not mean to be rude but I highly recommend you, drodeka, do not learn how to shdl with X. that sounds 10x harder to me and I don't think there is an advantage to learning it that way. I think the best methods are sliding, using up on the control stick, or having fast enough fingers in the first place to just tap the three buttons using Y/B (in order of difficulty)
Woops, I should have said you could use either X or Y, w.e you prefer, I do everything with X except multishining with fox.

I can do shdl like m2k, I think he does it with X as well, im not sure, sometimes it looks like he flicks the control stick up.

Here take a look

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxKYoBTWcAE

Also, I would not look for an specific way for moving your thumb like this and that, instead focus on what best works for YOU and only YOU, and then just be patient and practice. I suggest you learn the motion without playing the game to build finger speed, once you have repeated the motion many times, your body will adapt and your thumb will get faster.

Something I like to do is repeat a certain motion for about 50 to 100 times and try to go faster and faster, for instance the first 20 or so I would do it slowly then I'll increase the speed for the next 20, when I'm about to finish the 100 repetitions I'll do it as fast as I can even if I loose a bit of control here and there. This tells your body (after some time) that it needs to get FASTER. After doing this I'll play the game and see if I had gotten any better, most of the times I can notice some progress but after a week or so the difference is huge.

Been doing this recently to perfect some techniques like moonwalking, and I've been very successfully, took me a couple of days. But you have to be consistent.

Last edited:

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
Tap jumping, for me personally, is how I SHDL. I use Y for everything else except multishines and shines OoS

Siro

Smash Cadet
Hold Shield - C Stick Up - Quickly Tap B twice

Last edited:

Doser

Smash Ace
Since your mobility is cut down while doing a double laser, you can always use your left thumb to press b while your right thumb is pressing y. You just need to be able to switch the position of your hands very quickly so you do not get punished for this.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
I've always jumped with X so l had to learn the hard way. What helped me do it was noticing that l waited for Fox to be airborne before pressing B. So then l started to mash B before Fox left the ground.

Last edited:

SamSun

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3823-8695-2370
Woops, I should have said you could use either X or Y, w.e you prefer, I do everything with X except multishining with fox.

I can do shdl like m2k, I think he does it with X as well, im not sure, sometimes it looks like he flicks the control stick up.

Here take a look

Also, I would not look for an specific way for moving your thumb like this and that, instead focus on what best works for YOU and only YOU, and then just be patient and practice. I suggest you learn the motion without playing the game to build finger speed, once you have repeated the motion many times, your body will adapt and your thumb will get faster.

Something I like to do is repeat a certain motion for about 50 to 100 times and try to go faster and faster, for instance the first 20 or so I would do it slowly then I'll increase the speed for the next 20, when I'm about to finish the 100 repetitions I'll do it as fast as I can even if I loose a bit of control here and there. This tells your body (after some time) that it needs to get FASTER. After doing this I'll play the game and see if I had gotten any better, most of the times I can notice some progress but after a week or so the difference is huge.

Been doing this recently to perfect some techniques like moonwalking, and I've been very successfully, took me a couple of days. But you have to be consistent.
This worked like magic for me.
for a week, every free moment I'd get, I would grab my controller and drill out as many SHDL's as I could.
And when it came to the weekend, I was fast enough to SHDL consistently!! (with X!!!)

Thanks Oskurito! didn't think I'd be able to get this trick without switching to Y, or something janky.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
This worked like magic for me.
for a week, every free moment I'd get, I would grab my controller and drill out as many SHDL's as I could.
And when it came to the weekend, I was fast enough to SHDL consistently!! (with X!!!)

Thanks Oskurito! didn't think I'd be able to get this trick without switching to Y, or something janky.
Glad it helped you, hopefully more people will see and learn this way too.

However, I would like to point out that this way of practicing usually only works for techniques where speed is what matters the most, for things like wavedashing for example, this may not work as good. The reason for this is that you don't really need speed but timing, specially because the timing at where you have to airdodge after the jump depends on the character, so you really need to practice with the TV on to get the timing of the wavedash correctly. Then again, it may be useful to practice like I said if your goal is to be able to wavedash many times (this implies that you're going to need fast fingers to repeat the sequence jump + airdodge) to better your mobility.

Magnawolf

Smash Apprentice
I can confirm that M2K does in fact use X to short hop double laser. I talked to him about it at Kings of Cali 4.

He said it's one of the harder methods and I agree.

Last edited:

imrai

Smash Apprentice
I don't agree with people telling those having trouble to use X. Flicking from the corner of Y to B and double tapping (or double flicking, if you want to be more consistent) B is the easiest way I've found. Tap jumping means you will have to position your hand in such a way that you will likely be slower to DI (or possibly DI incorrectly), making SH.DLing even more dangerous than it can already be, and therefore less useful. Honestly, my advice would be if you feel like you can SHFFLaser and your fingers aren't fast enough for SH.DLs, just use the fast falled single laser variant to train your finger speed (do it literally as fast as you can over and over). Also, having a good controller is (or was for me) rather important for this one. On my newer white controller I was able to short hop double laser literally the day I got it. The second or third day I started getting really consistent (even with running SH.DLs). Now I'm weaving them in with drillshines, waveshines, and everything. It's all about having an accurate controller, having good posture and "hand discipline," and practicing more and faster.

In the end though, don't learn methods of SH.DLing that are going to compromise your ability to play safe and fundamentally sound (missing DI etc), as the whole point of SH.DL is a safe way to get ahead in a campy neutral game without getting caught or punished.

Last edited:

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I don't agree with people telling those having trouble to use X. Flicking from the corner of Y to B and double tapping (or double flicking, if you want to be more consistent) B is the easiest way I've found. Tap jumping means you will have to position your hand in such a way that you will likely be slower to DI (or possibly DI incorrectly), making SH.DLing even more dangerous than it can already be, and therefore less useful.
I master it to the point that is at easy has regular SHL so I don't see what the problem is, my left hand is completely free to DI or do any movement. The RSHDL is still pretty hard but I rarely ever do it, I just single laser instead or simply don't do any laser.

I think my method of learning techskill with work really well for a lot of people, but then again you're entitled to your own opinion.

LL87

Smash Rookie
I just couldn't do it with y. I later figured out it was because my fingers were too fast when sliding, and too slow when not sliding. I now do shdl with xbb, sliding over the a button in less than 3 frames, which means it doesn't nair. It's actually great, since if you miss, you either jab or FH nair, which isn't that bad, and shouldn't often happen anyway. So, for me, as for now, it is the easiest tech skill, by far. I miss like 1 out of 50, whereas with y, i miss a lot.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Obviously Y is closer than X, but you could try X. Your thumb has to move so fast that it doesn't matter if you press the A button while going over it, you will still be mid-jump animation and A won't do anything. M2K does it this way.

imrai

Smash Apprentice
I master it to the point that is at easy has regular SHL so I don't see what the problem is, my left hand is completely free to DI or do any movement. The RSHDL is still pretty hard but I rarely ever do it, I just single laser instead or simply don't do any laser.

I think my method of learning techskill with work really well for a lot of people, but then again you're entitled to your own opinion.
If you can't RSHDL or Turnaround SHDL then it's not really that practical in a game though.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
I personally don't use it a lot anymore, just another way to camp from distance, so standing double laser is enough.

Top Bottom