• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How is Donkey Kong's performance in the elements of Brawl?

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
Okay first off, please read this:

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=199108

Second of all, the reason I am posting this here is because I don't have set-out summaries of Donkey Kong's performance in the elements of Brawl. So, I was wondering if you guys could do it, considering how you guys are the authorities on your own character.

Use this thread to discuss it, and then please post your results in the "Element of Brawl" thread linked above, using this format:

ZONING
  • On the ground
  • In the air
  • Off-stage

SPACING
  • Extreme long distance
  • Long distance
  • Medium distance
  • Short distance

KILLING
  • Killing power
  • Gimping potential

Thanks a bunch.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
ZONING

[*]On the ground: DK uses his amazing tilts to knock his opponents around. DK's ground pound is also something to be feared, it has the most reach of any ground move in the game. Not only are DK's smashes good too they are rediculously goos at killing but they are powerful and very hard to punish. Don't even get me started on grounded up b, or DK punch. over all AMAZING!

[*]In the air : DK has 1 answer to everything, bair. this attack is the most important attack for any DK player. hit box length, power, speed, it has it all. Uair is the second most useful aerial but not used nearly as much. Fair, dair, and nair are decent at best. not to be spammed often at all because of risk. over all ABOVE AVERAGE

[*]Off-stage: DK is too good off stage . Fair, dair, and nair all come into use here. DK has every attack in his arsenal to use. Fair, and Dair both spike and are powerful. over all. ABOVE AVERAGE

SPACING

[*]Extreme long distance: DK has absolutely no projectiles. over all TERRIBLE

[*]Long distance: like I said before, no projectile TERRIBLE

[*]Medium distance. DK has 2 options for mid range and they would be ground pound and forward tilt but these are good. AVERAGE

[*]Short distance: DK has every move that he can use on the ground at his disposal including bair. AMAZING

KILLING

[*]Killing power: DK can kill with bair, uair, fair, DK punch, and all the smashes. AMAZING

[*]Gimping potential : The only true gimp that DK has besides a wall of Pain is the cargo stage spike, however. it can be teched. another option is to cargo throw them away from the stage for a kill, this is highly effective on about half the cast depending on whether you throw them away or under the stage. For an effective CSS the opponent needs to be at least at 50% ABOVE AVERAGE

theres my opinion

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
I agree with Ripple on everything but gimping potential. I think it's definitely above average. Cargo down throw sets up for spikes and edge guards really well. Also falling cargo down throw away from the stage on some characters is a free stock. If you grab someone after they've used their double jump the number of people this move gimps increases. And don't forget about WoP to upb kills. those are sexy. And DK's upb has really good horizontal recovery so you can chase your prey really far out there.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
actually i don't like dk as amazing at short distance. at that point quicker attackers can kind of have their way with him. i would think dk likes to keep opponents at optimum range for ftilt/dtilt/bair.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
idk, i'd say at long distance DK isnt terrible
for his size and build he can close space pretty fast, he is definitely one of the fastest runners of the heavy crew

also another important part of his game is the amount of moves he can pull off in a small amount of time
so awesome

Tujex

Smash Ace
I also agree that DK isn't (terrible) at long range. Not only can his tilts and jobs stop a high number of projectiles, Grounded UpB has Super Armor that can tear through anything shot at him while he approaches (Well...it tears through Samus Charged Shot....depending on if you want to take the risk of the damage%). That, and Bair can also cancel out a lot of projectiles while you approach.

He should be at least Moderate, slightly below average...but not terrible.

His killing power is God-Tier, since the slightest slip up in your opponents game and they're missing a stock. One slip, and they're Dair, Fair, SideB, or CSS fodder.

But everything else is pretty much spot on.

Skink

Smash Apprentice
I'd say DK is better at medium range than close, myself. At medium you can bair, f or dtilt, ground pound, upB, or monkay punch without much fear of counter attack. At close, you're at risk for fast, hard hitting attacks such as luigi's smash A or something weird. DK is still good at close, and can still use most of his arsenal, (maybe not bair or ground pound) but I'd say he really excels at medium.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
actually i don't like dk as amazing at short distance. at that point quicker attackers can kind of have their way with him. i would think dk likes to keep opponents at optimum range for ftilt/dtilt/bair.
Yes I agree.

Medium distance: 9.5/10
Short distance: 7/10

All of his tilts seem medium distance to me, as do most of his smashes, and his Up+b.

Mith_

Smash Champion
ZONING

[*]Off-stage: DK is too good off stage . Fair, dair, and nair all come into use here. DK has every attack in his arsenal to use. Fair, and Dair both spike and are powerful. over all. ABOVE AVERAGE

he also has a Bair wall of pain. i'd like to compare it to wario's Fair wall of pain but im not very familiar with wario. dk can fight far out because of his great horizontal recovery.

SPACING

[*]Medium distance. DK has 2 options for mid range and they would be ground pound and forward tilt but these are good. AVERAGE

he also has dtilt and utilt (if you are facing away from the opponent). they have very long range that is sometimes underestimated.
my 2 cents in red.

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
'Allo 'allo gentlemen.

Ok, two things. One, I will be putting in Ripple's entry into the main post save for a few ratings changes just to go along with the proper nomenclature. So:

ZONING

[*]On the ground: DK uses his amazing tilts to knock his opponents around. DK's ground pound is also something to be feared, it has the most reach of any ground move in the game. Not only are DK's smashes good too they are rediculously goos at killing but they are powerful and very hard to punish. Don't even get me started on grounded up b, or DK punch. over all AMAZING!

[*]In the air : DK has 1 answer to everything, bair. this attack is the most important attack for any DK player. hit box length, power, speed, it has it all. Uair is the second most useful aerial but not used nearly as much. Fair, dair, and nair are decent at best. not to be spammed often at all because of risk. over all ABOVE AVERAGE

SPACING

[*]Extreme long distance: DK has absolutely no projectiles. over all Uncomfortable

[*]Long distance: like I said before, no projectile Uncomfortable

[*]Medium distance. DK has 2 options for mid range and they would be ground pound and forward tilt but these are good. Bearable

[*]Short distance: DK has every move that he can use on the ground at his disposal including bair. Comfortable

KILLING

[*]Killing power: DK can kill with bair, uair, fair, DK punch, and all the smashes. AMAZING

[*]Gimping potential : The only true gimp that DK has besides a wall of Pain is the cargo stage spike, however. it can be teched. another option is to cargo throw them away from the stage for a kill, this is highly effective on about half the cast depending on whether you throw them away or under the stage. For an effective CSS the opponent needs to be at least at 50% ABOVE AVERAGE

theres my opinion
Thar ya go. Also, I have decided to add a "Survivability" section to the original post, and here's what I came up with for DK:

Donkey Kong
  • Recovery: Donkey Kong has always had great lateral recovery. However, he's also always had terrible vertical recovery, and that's still his problem in this game. However, his Donkey Copter has significantly more priority than before and has a much smaller windows for gimping. To counteract that, if he missed the ledge and lands on the ground, he sort of just slams in the floor, leaving him open. His side+B is an interesting stall: because it lets him stall for so long, he can use it to recover from stages like Norfair and Brinstar by simply waiting until the lava/acid comes up and hits him, giving his jump back. Rating: Intermediate
  • Staying Power: DK is very heavy and his spacing options are ridiculously good. He's gonna stick around for a while. Rating: Easy

Whatcha think? Terrible? Spot-on? Tea? Coffee? Boysenberry jam? Name it and I'll take it.

By the way, as it stands, this gives Donkey Kong and score of 34.

Uncle

Novus Ordo Seclorum
DRaGZ, I agree with your recovery and staying power critiques. The side+B stall really does have it's place in a DK player's arsenal and should not be ignored. As for the Up+B, the priority really has improved. DK's opponents had better watch out or they'll be grinded for some significant damage. DK may be a huge target but with the weight and spacing he won't be KO'd that easily.

Top Bottom