• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U How lame would it be to buy a Wii U just for Smash?

Amide

Smash Lord
Because that's probably what's going to happen, and I'm wondering how much I'll hate myself for that. Anyone else in this situation?

PlayerXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShailsPT
3DS FC
3652-1682-9410
At the start, I was gonna buy the Wii U just for Smash. Then came Pikmin, Zelda, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, etc. It isn't lame by any means - I bought a Wii just for Brawl now that is lame.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Yeah, because the WiiU totally has just Smash Bros.

You sound like those assholes still convinced that the Wii has no games

Hello.

Smash Cadet
Buying a Wii U just for Smash isn't lame. It depends on what you think.

Some people bought a Wii just for Brawl and overtime came to see there was more the Wii offered, notably the Galaxy games, for one. There's nothing really wrong with it.

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
I will get my Wii U so I can try to get more online play(incase 3ds' competitive play wanes).

And yes, I will get my Wii U for the sake of smash.

StupendousMike

Smash Ace
I know plenty of people who bought consoles for just one game. I bought the original Xbox just for Shenmue II, but once you actually have the thing you end up exploring the rest of the library. Smash will probably be what I end up buckling down and getting a Wii U for, but by then I'll also have Tropical Freeze, Super Mario 3D Land, Wind Waker HD, Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Mario Kart 8 and more to pick up afterwards.

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
No reason to have this mindset since the Wii U has plenty of other quality titles that will be coming soon/are already out such as: Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, DK Tropical Freeze, Wind Waker HD, Mario Kart Wii U, Zelda Wii U, etc.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
I bought a Gamecube just for Melee (well, asked my parents for a Gamecube just for Melee). Amazing purchase, one of my favorite consoles of all time.

Then I bought a Wii just for Brawl, and... Yeah.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
This mindset says you probably called the Wii "Lame" before you even experienced its amazing library of original and fresh games...it was a console full of quality games, fortunately unblemished by the likes of EA.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
This mindset says you probably called the Wii "Lame" before you even experienced its amazing library of original and fresh games...it was a console full of quality games, fortunately unblemished by the likes of EA.
Most of the games required the use of the Wii remote, which is incredibly unwieldy for me. That and while there were some wonderful games like Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy, they were few and far between. I don't regret buying a Wii simply because I was able to experience games like Super Metroid and Chrono Trigger for the first time, which quickly became some of my favorites.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I bought a Gamecube just for Melee. I bought a Wii just for Brawl. But over time I got a lot of other games that I enjoyed, especially on the Wii. So while I'm primarily going to buy a Wii U for Smash Bros, I'm still going to enjoy a bunch of other different games.

If you love Smash, there's bound to be other games on the console you'll like.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I bought a wii mostly for Brawl.

At least it was around the time Brawl came out

Of course, I had a lot more games I played just as often

Mario Galaxy, Mario Kart, New Super Mario Bros. I actually really liked Mario Kart Wii

-TAG-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuprSmashKing16
Why do I have the feeling that most people in the Smashboards buys a console for just one freakin game? Buying a Wii to play only Brawl? Buying a Wii-U and letting it sit there up until Smash 4's release? And yet there are people that want Shulk in Smash 4 or Little Mac to be in Smash 4 as well. I bought a Wii-U for its other great games, like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, spent over 400 hours on that game. I don't know that's just my thought on this situation.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
I'll end up buying a Wii U for Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem; SSB4 would only be icing on the cake. Though, very delicious, awesome icing made of dreams, rainbows, and sparkles, but icing nonetheless.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Well, I am still looking to get a Wii U at some point. Smash is definitely one of the reasons why I want to purchase the Wii U, but then again, there are other Wii U titles that have caught my interest which includes Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8 and hopefully they will show a new Legend of Zelda game in the future.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
To be honest, I Bought Wii U, just because of Smash 4 really... But then again came a lot of other great games I bought to it too ~

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Why this threads keep coming?
Arent people aware that we can get a new and great Zelda game, Metroid, Mario, etc.
Its like buying a N64 only for Smash but no OoT, Majoras Mask....
I just dont understand....

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I already bought a Wii U like a month after launch. It's a guarantee Smash 4 will move systems off the shelves like the second half of my username. If Mario Kart 8 won't do that already.

The Wii has great game. You just have to look for them.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade
No More Heroes
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Okami
Sonic Colors
NiGHTS Journey of Dreams
Boom Blox
Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Because that's probably what's going to happen, and I'm wondering how much I'll hate myself for that. Anyone else in this situation?

I bought a Wii for Brawl. I have only really played Smash and some Gamecube games on my Wii. I have never regretted my purchase. If you know you'll get your money's worth with Smash alone, why worry about buying a console for one game?

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
Smash is my favorite game series, and it's the only reason I'm getting a Wii U (sure there's other games, but nothing that forces my wallet out of my pants). Hell dude, I'm just gonna weld that sh#t in there because it ain't ever coming out. So everyone get your blowtorches ready, because buying a Wii U just for Smash is....:awesome:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Unlike in previous installments there's at least an option to buy a different version if you don't want to shell out for a Wii U.

The games should influence your console of choice. I brought a Gamecube primarily for Melee, but I managed to find a lot of other games on that system that ended up appealing to me; Timesplitters 2, Bloody Roar, Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and several more that made me not regret my purchase.

I tend to buy household consoles primarily for Smash, and handhelds primarily for Pokemon. Any additional games of interest are just a huge plus.

With Smash coming out on the 3DS as well though, it looks like I might be getting a Wii U primarily for Super Mario 3D World with Smash for Wii U as a bonus.

Yeah, because the WiiU totally has just Smash Bros.

You sound like those *******s still convinced that the Wii has no games

Assholes? I think you mean realist. Because staying generation behind current technology sure worked out for them last generation.

Wii U in a nut shell. A gimmick oriented console that is using previous technology and makes up for a lack of 3rd party support by getting the sloppy seconds of previous generation games. The entire system will be supplemented only by titles that Nintendo makes themselves.

Sure you have things like Zelda, Mario and Mario Kart, but honestly all of these things are a given so it's nothing to really look forward to for me. Nintendo is just stuck playing it safe. I mean it took an entire year just so that you could say they have a somewhat feasible line up. And to whoever mentioned the PS3, yeah it didn't have any games, but system droughts are common. Rather, look at the end results of the Wii in comparison to the PS3 in titles. There is no way on gods green earth that the Wii's lineup can even stand up to the PS3's, not only that games are still being made for the PS3 and XBOX 360, while the Wii has been discontinued. If you really think the Wii U is going to come out successful this generation with it's too-little-too-late system functionality and limiting 3rd party support you are sorely mistaken.

That being said, yes, i'm buying a Wii U just for smash. If some other interesting things emerge then I may buy them, then again I really don't spend that much money on games in the first place.

D

Deleted member

Not saying either system has/had no games, but Smash is the main reason why I'm getting a Wii U and Brawl was the main reason I wanted a Wii in the first place. And even Melee was the main reason I wanted a Gamecube (I first played Melee at a friend's house and I never had a console prior to it).

So I'm pretty much in the same boat.
Though I'm not upset at myself for that. It's just the way I am. Just like the Gamecube and Wii, it will open up other games that come out that may tickle my fancy, so it's not a waste as far as I am concerned.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
Yeah, I'll be getting a Wii U because of Smash, too... and sure, there are other games I might check out, but would I get the Wii U to play them if Smash 4 weren't coming out? ...Probably not. It'll basically be a Smash 4 machine with the added bonus of being able to play other games if I ever get around to taking Smash 4 out. The 3DS, on the other hand, I already own and love, although I'll probably get Smash 4 for it as well... y'know, for completion's sake!

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
As long as smash 4 has a good/great cast, I probably will get a Wii U just for it.
I'd say having at least 2 of these 3 characters will warrant buying it for me.
1:CF
2:Ridley
3:Mewtwo

Ulti-Bman

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0318-7834-6568
*******s? I think you mean realist. Because staying generation behind current technology sure worked out for them last generation.

Wii U in a nut shell. A gimmick oriented console that is using previous technology and makes up for a lack of 3rd party support by getting the sloppy seconds of previous generation games. The entire system will be supplemented only by titles that Nintendo makes themselves.

Sure you have things like Zelda, Mario and Mario Kart, but honestly all of these things are a given so it's nothing to really look forward to for me. Nintendo is just stuck playing it safe. I mean it took an entire year just so that you could say they have a somewhat feasible line up. And to whoever mentioned the PS3, yeah it didn't have any games, but system droughts are common. Rather, look at the end results of the Wii in comparison to the PS3 in titles. There is no way on gods green earth that the Wii's lineup can even stand up to the PS3's, not only that games are still being made for the PS3 and XBOX 360, while the Wii has been discontinued. If you really think the Wii U is going to come out successful this generation with it's too-little-too-late system functionality and limiting 3rd party support you are sorely mistaken.

That being said, yes, i'm buying a Wii U just for smash. If some other interesting things emerge then I may buy them, then again I really don't spend that much money on games in the first place.
"Generation behind in current technology"? You do realize that Wii U is a stronger system than PS3 and Xbox 360, right? The system isn't as powerful as PS4 and Xbox One, I'll give you that, but it isn't "a generation behind". No 3rd party? *cough Darksiders 2, Dirt, Aliens Colonial Marines, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Online, Metro Last Light, Batman: Arkham City, Tekken, Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge, CoD, Rayman Legends, Assassin's Creed 3 *cough. Besides, a lot of people enjoy the fact that the Wii U flourishes mainly in 1st party, it makes sure it doesn't turn out to be a downgraded version of a PC. I personally liked the Wii's lineup (Galaxy series, two Zeldas, Brawl, Mario Kart, NSMBW, etc.), and they aren't dealing with Wii because of the transition to a new console. Microsoft and Sony have hardly released their consoles yet, in short time, they'll stop releasing games of previous-gen consoles too, a smart decision. It's just a matter of whether you like Nintendo or not (to be frank, it'd be odd if you didn't seeing as though you are buying a game wherein which Nintendo characters fight, but whatever). Otherwise, the console has many good things in store. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you should love the console, it's your decision and opinion after all, but it's in no way "last-gen" and it does indeed support 3rd-party titles. If you're going to hate, do it in an accurate manner.

Papa+Stone

Banned via Administration
Not nearly as lame as playing smash for the characters and preferig brawls ledgesnap and airdodge mechanics like di dara does. Now that is someone that is truly lame

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I won't buy a Wii U just for smash.

I'll buy it for a huge variety of quality Nintendo games that are currently realeased and will be released soon.

Smash is just the highlight! :p

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I bought a WiiU on the promise of great Nintendo games. So far, only disappointed in their ad campaigns. The games are good.

Slugma128

Smash Journeyman
I'm not even sure Smash will see the light of day. If Wii U continues to flop this holiday, Nintendo won't have much choice but to cease production of it. Wii U is their biggest flop since Virtual Boy, it's a failure of the same magnitude as Dreamcast and no company can keep a dead system on the market for long before withdrawing it.

If this happens, Smash will likely be moved to their next system or to smartphones and tablets if they decide to cease hardware production.

Top Bottom