• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long can Smash survive?

How long do you see Smash being competitive/ active for?

• Total voters

_ToAsT_

Smash Apprentice
Smash started out small-ish, got a fanbase, HYPE, and turned into something bigger than anyone probably ever thought it would. Smash even survived the Smash depression a few years back and came back on top with getting back into EVO and the Smash Bros. documentary happening. With this game being as old as the N64 (yeah I know hard to believe), it seems pretty obvious that age doesn't affect this game nor the community much. However, Mang0 along with M2K will be retiring soon (and who knows who all else shortly after). So with that all said, how long do you see Smash being around for? If someone brand new to Smash wanted to get in today and wanted to be the best in the world, do you believe they'd have time without it being too late for them?

Last edited:

Frisk.

Child of Mercy
I can't see the future. It'll be relevant as long as people enjoy and play it I guess.

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
Wait, Mange and FoxKing are retiring soon?

Forget surviving, competitive Smash is about to thrive with those parasites gone.

Last edited:
It'll survive until PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 gets released, which will be so mind-blowingly amazing that every fighting game dev will give up forever.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Smash will be around as long as there is an interest for it. Melee is over ten years old and the competitive scene is still strong.

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
Smash will be around as long as there is an interest for it. Melee is over ten years old and the competitive scene is still strong.
Wow its been that long huh 10 years I remember the game only had 5 years of released when I got melee ^_^
Good times lol

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's no reason for it to go away. Smash will be around for a long time.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Smash started out small-ish, got a fanbase, HYPE, and turned into something bigger than anyone probably ever thought it would. Smash even survived the Smash depression a few years back and came back on top with getting back into EVO and the Smash Bros. documentary happening. With this game being as old as the N64 (yeah I know hard to believe), it seems pretty obvious that age doesn't affect this game nor the community much. However, Mang0 along with M2K will be retiring soon (and who knows who all else shortly after). So with that all said, how long do you see Smash being around for? If someone brand new to Smash wanted to get in today and wanted to be the best in the world, do you believe they'd have time without it being too late for them?
Good question.

When i first played Smash 64, I thought it might have just been one of those fighting games that popped out for the N64 and nothing else.

I can see another installment realistically. Given it has time to vegetate and morph into something big, so probably 2-3 years for development. The perfect Smash game however, still has to be crafted. It gets harder and harder to surpass the last installment because the next installment needs to one up it in terms of features.

Smash Bros will probably live on, even long after its discontinued, like Super Mario does. Smash is still highly competitive, and a cash cow for Nintendo. If Sakurai wants to really create the not-too-hot/not-too-cold Smash, he should get in touch with the fanbase on a universal level for each stage of the development process. After all, Sonic initially got in Smash by the input of Japanese fans in Brawl.

Smash still has gas left to burn, I don't know who these people are you mentioned, someone will be there to open another door when one closes. This domino is too big to fall.

zero sum

Smash Apprentice
i'd guess melee has 3-5 really good years left and two more where it won't really be growing but will still retain the same/similar success before it starts to decline in popularity. i think mango still has a year or two left in him before he retires. i don't know what's up with m2k. armada, leffen and pp will still be playing for the foreseeable future and hungrybox will probably still go to bigger tournaments. i don't play it but i'd give sm4sh ~2 good years or if there's a new installment coming and the scene hasn't died yet it'll probably keep going for maybe a year before that is released. both games should be around for some time.

brawl is dead and pm is probably dead and i don't really have strong feelings either way about that but i hope 64 gets more popular. i'd like to play it sometime. i have a console but not the game and don't feel like going through the trouble of installing netplay or however you play other people online

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
It'll survive until PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale 2 gets released, which will be so mind-blowingly amazing that every fighting game dev will give up forever.
WILL it? There could be a better game than Battle Royale 2 If it's released around the same time, it could be better than Battle Royale 2 (Not saying it will happen. It's a possibility.) and fighting game devs shouldn't give up. There are good game ideas waiting to be made y'know.

To the main topic, I see smash not going too far, but the competitive scene overgrowing.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
Competitive Smash is going to survive as long as Nintendo. Of course, that's the single point of failure. Nintendo hasn't been doing well lately, and the NX is looking to repeat many, if not all, of the same mistakes the Wii U has made. I'm sure there will be a Smash NeXt, but I'm doubtful whether there will be a Smash NeXt U or anything beyond.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Competitive Smash is going to survive as long as Nintendo. Of course, that's the single point of failure. Nintendo hasn't been doing well lately, and the NX is looking to repeat many, if not all, of the same mistakes the Wii U has made. I'm sure there will be a Smash NeXt, but I'm doubtful whether there will be a Smash NeXt U or anything beyond.
I agree. Nintendo needs a restructuring from the inside out. Not to say Miyamoto or Iwata (during his time on this earth) did a poor job, but I did like Nintendo more when Hiyoshi Yamamuchi was in charge. While the GameCube didn't sell that well, I thought it brought one of the best portfolios of games out in Nintendo's rich history (even better than the Wii imo).

And I wouldn't be surprised if the next Smash Bros game were named NeXt, or Ambush, or Oblivion.

GrayGray4468

Smash Cadet
NNID
GrayGray4468
3DS FC
1865-0138-3607
I think that there is a new wave of players that will replace the gods, and continue to make the game grow. My list:

Axe
Wobbles
Chu
Plup
Leffen
and maybe Chillin

CptJPuff

Smash Journeyman
Melee has another 10 years guaranteed down the road. I don't know about Smash 4, as there's always the possibility for a more balanced Smash 5.

GothicSlenderman

Smash Journeyman
The competitive scene may go one for a while, but as for the series. Idk, eventually people might get tired of Smash and move on to something else. I used to love Nintendo but they kind of lost me in interest sense 2014. The only thing I kept up on was Nintendo Directs and Smash DLC. I don't even think I'll get an NX even if there is a new Smash for it.
But if Playstation Allstars got a sequel, better gameplay style and enough characters then maybe it could be enough to dethrone Smash Bros.

D

Deleted member

Smash 64 already feels dead tbh. I came around way too late. :c

Last edited by a moderator:

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
Just look at Melee. It's still growing and it's stronger than ever. By the time Smash 4 reaches that level, just imagine where Melee will be. I don't see Smash dying anytime soon.

Top Bottom