• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long did it take you to learn how to wavedash?

wexs883198215

Smash Cadet
I've had the game for 4 months, and my wavedashing is still shaky. For all of your experts, how ong did it take for you to get it down?

darE::to::Dream

Smash Journeyman
It depends on the character. Sheik took just a week or so of practice to have into my movement.

Roy timing still takes a bit of getting used to, though, and it's almost impossible for me to wavedash with Bowser.

Afro_Ninja

Smash Apprentice
hmm. couple months? I didn't really dedicate practice to it though. I first started wavedashing with doc, since it seemed easier than other characters and he was one of my mains. Whenever playing a match I'd wd a few times in between stocks, or occasionally during the fight for the hell of it. Eventually it became almost second nature, wd back and forth, across platforms, and into smashes. Once you get used to what the wd can do, it's hard to stop using it.

I can do it pretty good with falcon too, but I still have trouble with falco. The timing difference is significant between falco and falcon/doc, at least to me.

Evil E.

Smash Ace
NNID
Elmoyounasty
It took me a good day to learn wave dashing but it was worth it

Now i can wave dash with everyone EXEPT bowser! i dont think he can even wave dash

vZakat

Half Genie
2 weeks to learn it. 2 weeks to make it a regular habit in matches. So about a month in total.

Kada

Smash Journeyman
It took me about a day to learn it, and then about 2 weeks to be able to do it perfectly, without thinking. But I practice everyday, so it will probably be longer for people who don't.

I can play about 10 characters relatively well, and I can wavedash with all of them just about perfectly. Including Bowser =P

pdk

Smash Lord
about a week, i believe

what i find helps is to start thinking of it as a single button press, this works fine for everyone except bowser and makes it fairly easy to re-adjust when going across characters

dguy6789

Smash Lord
I spent a few hours one Saturday night working on it. Then continued with it on the following Sunday. By the end of the day, I could do it moderately well. It took about a month to get it incorporated into my game really well.

Thino

Smash Master
it took me one month to learn and use it well , another month to be able to switch between Marth and Roy , or between ganon and any btter WDer without messing up too much

Zone

Smash Champion
Depends on what you mean.
I learned how to wave dash in 10 seconds.
I could actually execute the action with Fox(one of the faster ones) in about 1 hour.

Using it effectively in dashdancing and spacing and not ********, Probably 2 years, but that's because of my lack of tournament experience til recently. 2 years meaning I can do it flawlessly and use it at the right times instead of using it just to use it. IF ya know what i mean ;D

Spot

Smash Cadet
It took me a couple of days to be able to wavedash. A few weeks to be able to use it in a match. But I was playing it at a friend's house and he was able to wavedash immediately after I explained how to do it. He's just fast I guess.

DRD

Smash Lord
I never dedicated any practice to it, it just gradually became a skill I had. I can wavedash back and forth FD about 20 times now with Fox, which was always my hardest to WD with.

Miharu

Smash Hero
1 week to learn it.

3-4 to fully integrate it.

Wavelanding's another story. That took about a year.

wexs883198215

Smash Cadet
Hm....I don't play nearly as much as most of you, and most of the time i just do 1V1's with my friends. Also, I main fox, who is slightly harder.

Well, thanks, now I know I'm behind in my smash development

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
When I first WD I was like "ZOMG dis waverap3 is teh uber pwn4g3!!one". It took a week to get fluent and a couple months to stop Mis-WD for edge hogs (which accounts for most of my suicides back then).

180OP

Smash Journeyman
you just have to wait about 2-4 frames more than most characters...nowhere near .5 seconds (30 frames, omg thats alot!).
Really? to me it feels like a hell of a lot of time. I never timed it just ran a number off my head. but bowsers short hop is very delayed.

Blackadder

Smash Master
I must confess;
I am one of the few players who has never botherd to learn the wavedash.
*shock*
I've seen it done, K.O the W*nker that did it, and thats enough for me.
bah. wavedash. who needs it?

*runs from angry fanboys*

spoonyd

Smash Apprentice
Started working on all the advanced techs on the day I arrived on smashboards. Can waveshine with fox and I use Marth's WD a lot in game. Granted I practice almost everyday so....while might be 2.5 months for me, it'll take longer for those who aren't OCD like me. lol

Learning to wavedash isn't hard honestly. The hard part is the application in your game and the confidence to try to work it in.

Zappikachu

Smash Rookie
It took me a few days to learn to wavedash right with link, but have no clue how to put it into my fighting style.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Hm....I don't play nearly as much as most of you, and most of the time i just do 1V1's with my friends. Also, I main fox, who is slightly harder.

Well, thanks, now I know I'm behind in my smash development
Fox's wavedash is pretty much the easiest in the game. It has the same timing as samus, shiek, ice climbers, and some others I am leaving out right now. All of those characters have 4 frame jumps.

A minute to learn, a lifetime to master.

Anyone who says otherwise is wrong.
True, I've only been playing for six months, and I still occasionally wavedash right into other people's smashes. It's not pretty when that happens.

wexs883198215

Smash Cadet
geez, now i feel worse. i don't suppose this really belongs here, but when i try to wavedash, sometimes i do the roll thing. what am i doing wrong?

Andromeda

Smash Lord
It took me about one or two weeks for me to learn doing it on purpose. But I still have trouble doing it in high-speeded matches and doing it were I need to.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
A day. But I continue to improve my wavedashing even though I've known how for a while now. Just working on consistency, longer distance, and adjusting my timing depending on my character. Luigi's 5-frame timing throws me off, but I can get everyone else's pretty consistently.

WFL

Smash Journeyman
geez, now i feel worse. i don't suppose this really belongs here, but when i try to wavedash, sometimes i do the roll thing. what am i doing wrong?
If you're rolling instead of wavedashing then you're probably hitting the "R" button before jump. Also, what character are you using for practice?

pdk

Smash Lord
Really? to me it feels like a hell of a lot of time. I never timed it just ran a number off my head. but bowsers short hop is very delayed.
just for the record:

everyone else's time-to-get-off-the-ground-when-you-jump (what technical lingo we've got here): 4-6 frames
boozer's: 9 frames

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
Dunno for sure, prolly somewhere between 30 min to an hour. That is just to get to the point that I can do a few in a row, and they were nowhere near perfect. To make it a habit, probably about 2 weeks.

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
After I sat down and really tried to learn it, it took me about 3 days practicing 30 minutes a day. in about a month i had it down perfect and could use it in matches.

The key to learning the wavedash is knowing the timing. knowing how soon after you jump your should air dodge (press l OR r). Different charactars need different timing. Usually its about 1/10 of a second i think.

A good way to practice is to just jump and air dodge without the direction. if you do it right your charactar should air dodge so quick that he/she doesn't gain any height from the jump. After you get that down just do the same thing but hold diagonal down or press diagonal down and air dodge at the exact same time.

At 1st when you wavedash your charactar may have two "moans". one for the jump and one for the air dodge. this means your not air dodging quick enough. a good, big wavedash should be silent. its ok if you hear one moan for the jump but never two. A silent wavedash is bigger and if your timing is good enough, you don't have to short hop.

Also remember to let go of the shield button as quick as possible. A "wave shielld" might as well be a roll.

about a week, i believe

what i find helps is to start thinking of it as a single button press, this works fine for everyone except bowser and makes it fairly easy to re-adjust when going across characters
also this quote it really really useful if you missed it before

Joe_Sumo

Smash Apprentice
It took me a few days to learn to wavedash right with link, but have no clue how to put it into my fighting style.
links wavedash is quite small because link doesnt slide around much. you may have a hard time applying it. look at videos and see how other "pro" links use it if they do at all

Top Bottom