• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Long Do You Think Before the Next Smash Bros.?

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
Well its been said that there is only one Smash Bros. per console, but Nintendo does want to try and stay in a respectable spot in the console war.

Smash Brawl generated a lot of sales, especially in its first week. Nothing else so far has moved past that tremendous success except the recent release of Super Mario Bros. for Wii.

Yet amongst the great success of this title, it is still said and seen that Nintendo's software line-up this year was not heavy hitting like 2008. So a new Wii is possibly within grasp in the not too soon future. Nintendo tries to deny rumors, but they also said that the was not dropping in price from $249.99 either. We know where that went.

So in the not too distant future, a new Smash will come. The first Smash is coming up on its second anniversary, so somewhere the wheels at the big N will have to bring a new game.

Pokemon Trainer seems to be a possible character to return. Though some people would like to see a second Trainer, and some would like to see a new Trainer instead of Red.

For me, I would like to see Trainer as 1 spot on the roster, and you select between them like Sheik/Zelda. After doing that, you can select the colors of the Trainer you want and also a sub menu brings up a selection of which Pokemon starts first.

To me, I don't mind the "fatigue factor" that was in the first game, but I surely got annoyed by the "tripping".

Though if a second trainer is an option, (or maybe they can put three faces on the selector (like they do for the Pokemon and Trainer to select who starts), then it would be good to make PT a more diverse character. It would also spice up PT dittos. I surely dislike dittos now. It gets rather boring with 2 Squirtles "trying" to hit each other and often hitting air. :p

So these are the known starters (as was said to me on another board)...

Squirtle

Ivysaur

Charizard

Totodile

Bayleef

Typhlosion

Mudkip

Grovyle

Blaziken

Piplup

Grotle

Infernape

So out of those, whom do you think would be your ideal "team"? It would be nice though if you could make a custom team of 3, but I think I would just end up with "red's" starters. I rather like them and I don't think I would change. :p

Psst: anyone who wants to play as Piplup, I feel sorry for ya! LOL!

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Pokemon I can see being broken if what you say is true: Squirtle, Grovile, Blazikin, Typhlosion (not like I mind lol), Infernape.

If what you say is true, we can expect to see a larger number of people playing PT just for Blazakin and grovile because I know that fan base is through the roof. And even in D/P/Pt series, Infernape is broken. Johto is a little hard to judge but if they were playable, I wouldn't see them as broken but pretty balanced out.

edit: Also keep in mind, we don't want clones. Imo, keep Hoen and Sinnoh out of the Smash scene.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
I think alot of the characteristics would be changed...ironically.

Charizard...what was the one thing you wish you could have more of?
Speed; Infernape, Typhlosion, AND Blaziken seem to be pretty fast

Squirtle has crap range: I dont think many of those new ones will change that.

Ivysaur was the ranged fighter with crap recovery, to me it looks like Grotle would be a stock tank, Grovyle would freakin butt **** with fast moves. Bayleaf seems kind of the same.

I think my ideal team would be Infernape, Grovyle, and stick with squirtle...the other water starters don't look very promising on how their moveset could be like.

BTW this thread was sex to my nastalgia of pokemanz

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
I think alot of the characteristics would be changed...ironically.

Charizard...what was the one thing you wish you could have more of?
Speed; Infernape, Typhlosion, AND Blaziken seem to be pretty fast

Squirtle has crap range: I dont think many of those new ones will change that.

Ivysaur was the ranged fighter with crap recovery, to me it looks like Grotle would be a stock tank, Grovyle would freakin butt **** with fast moves. Bayleaf seems kind of the same.
Really I am pretty okay for Charizard's speed. I would just like a smoother flying motion like Pit's. I could really play some aerial games then.
I think my ideal team would be Infernape, Grovyle, and stick with squirtle...the other water starters don't look very promising on how their moveset could be like.
So your team would be...

BTW this thread was sex to my nastalgia of pokemanz
LOL! Glad to see the thread was very much your interest of discussion. :)

Pokemon I can see being broken if what you say is true: Squirtle, Grovile, Blazikin, Typhlosion (not like I mind lol), Infernape.

If what you say is true, we can expect to see a larger number of people playing PT just for Blazakin and grovile because I know that fan base is through the roof. And even in D/P/Pt series, Infernape is broken. Johto is a little hard to judge but if they were playable, I wouldn't see them as broken but pretty balanced out.

edit: Also keep in mind, we don't want clones. Imo, keep Hoen and Sinnoh out of the Smash scene.
Yeah I can see all the PT players trying to play their Blaziken against someone's good Charizard. LOL! It would be the anime all over again.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
in my opinion, there is really nothing that you can do with the other pokemon as far as movesets go. Honestly, take a look at the other pokemon, sure you can possibly think of a number of moves on the ground and maybe in the air, but look at them, How would they recover? How would Grotle recover? How would Typhlosion recover? most of them just wouldn't be fit for battle. At least with our original tri, we can waterfall, vinewhip, and fly to recover. Tell me how the others could recover when no other starter can fly, sure you can have vinewhip but it would be a Ivysaur issue all over again, you could go with waterfall but really, it wouldn't be original, I'm not too fond of having cloned movesets/recoveries.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
in my opinion, there is really nothing that you can do with the other pokemon as far as movesets go. Honestly, take a look at the other pokemon, sure you can possibly think of a number of moves on the ground and maybe in the air, but look at them, How would they recover? How would Grotle recover? How would Typhlosion recover? most of them just wouldn't be fit for battle. At least with our original tri, we can waterfall, vinewhip, and fly to recover. Tell me how the others could recover when no other starter can fly, sure you can have vinewhip but it would be a Ivysaur issue all over again, you could go with waterfall but really, it wouldn't be original, I'm not too fond of having cloned movesets/recoveries.
Um...have you seen Ike's Up-B? Sakurai doesn't care if their recoveries are believable.

But if you insist...

Totodile: Hydro Pump (Launches himself upward using a blast of water. Think G&W's Up-B)

Mudkip: Muddy Water (Waterfall but stronger....meh)

Piplup: Drill Peck (MK's Drill Rush but much more epic)

Bayleef: Vine Whip (Since Bayleef has all those buds, maybe she can use it more than once <_<)

Grovyle: Agility (Think Lucario's Extreme Speed but linear)

Grotle: Stealth Rock (Rocks appear below him and create a temporary platform that allows 1 more jump. Like the respawn platform.)

Typhlosion: Flame Wheel (Like DK's recovery but more Falco's Side-B...ish)

Blaziken: Sky Uppercut (Self-explanatory)

Infernape: Tail Whip (CAN YOU IMAGINE THE EPICNESS OF THAT!)

Infernape Side-B: Flare Blitz (Fox's Up-B but sideways)

I play too much Pokemon...

OH also. Totodile with Wario's Bite....I would never stop playing Smash.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
totodile would be pretty awesome. i think he'd be like a bouncier, stronger, slower squirtle with teeth.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
meh, still dont like it and plus I head Sakurai was stepping down from the production of the next Smash (gee, I wonder why?)

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
I would think the fanbase for Charizard is much bigger than that of Grovyle or Blaziken.
yeah I would think so as well, with Blaziken being the closest to Charizard.
i'd be kind of miffed if they took red out
as would I. Those are my iconic 3 and even if others and trainers were added, they need to always keep the base formula.
Um...have you seen Ike's Up-B? Sakurai doesn't care if their recoveries are believable.
:laugh: Excellent example. :laugh:

But if you insist...

Totodile: Hydro Pump (Launches himself upward using a blast of water. Think G&W's Up-B)

Mudkip: Muddy Water (Waterfall but stronger....meh)

Piplup: Drill Peck (MK's Drill Rush but much more epic)

Bayleef: Vine Whip (Since Bayleef has all those buds, maybe she can use it more than once <_<)

Grovyle: Agility (Think Lucario's Extreme Speed but linear)

Grotle: Stealth Rock (Rocks appear below him and create a temporary platform that allows 1 more jump. Like the respawn platform.)

Typhlosion: Flame Wheel (Like DK's recovery but more Falco's Side-B...ish)

Blaziken: Sky Uppercut (Self-explanatory)

Infernape: Tail Whip (CAN YOU IMAGINE THE EPICNESS OF THAT!)

Infernape Side-B: Flare Blitz (Fox's Up-B but sideways)

I play too much Pokemon...

OH also. Totodile with Wario's Bite....I would never stop playing Smash.
that is an excellent list of recovery moves, and yes you know your Pokemon well. :chuckle:
Kay Totodile with Bite would be pretty hot <3
I think so as well. Running around chomping like Wario, but a smaller target would really put Totodile in a good tier position.
meh, still dont like it and plus I head Sakurai was stepping down from the production of the next Smash (gee, I wonder why?)
maybe they didn't want him keeping "tripping in" the game. :psycho:

Here is the latest Wii game list, and from the looks of the titles so far, Nintendo doesn't have a strong offering...

SOURCE: CLICK HERE

*when you click the link, you may have to click the word "Wii" in the console & platform listing. It will take you to a 2 page listing showing titles up to June, 2010. Of course others may be added or rearranged along the way, and then there is the rest of the year after that. *

After you read that list, Nintendo is going to need some heavy hitting titles to keep the Wii pretty viable. Pretty much 2010 is going to belong to Capcom with them releasing Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Mega Man 10 (announced) and Monster Hunter Tri. Nintendo will have to either begin to implement a new Wii and also consider a new Smash Bros. or the new Smash debuts on the present Wii. Nintendo may loose some more ground in 2010, despite selling half a million Wii during Thanksgiving, 2009.

Oh for the thread, if you all want, go ahead and use the sprite links from my previous post and post "picture" representations of which team you all would like, or if the option is made available to make a custom team, show off what you think your custom team would be. :p

Thanks for all the responses so far.

tankzortz

Smash Apprentice
i'd be fine with the first generation. but i'd be cool be just chrazard, or squirtle all match, not just in the + version

Chuckles_KSU

Smash Apprentice
Definitely the First Gen Pokemon for me. Past 151, something just seems less awesome about the roster, starters and otherwise. Might be tempted to try out Blazikin and Grotle, though.

Or if by some miracle they put in Golem. I'd main him inna heartbeat. :p

:055:

T-block

B2B TST
I've actually never understood why Blaziken got so much hype. I'm thinking he's just riding off the hype that Charizard and Typhlosion started.

Blastoise could easily replace Bowser lol

Timothy2035

Smash Journeyman
I've actually never understood why Blaziken got so much hype. I'm thinking he's just riding off the hype that Charizard and Typhlosion started.

Blastoise could easily replace Bowser lol
I never really got to see a lot of Typhlosion. I missed that particular season. Though in seeing this video here on youtube, these would be good attacks in a Smash 4 game (both Infernape and Typhlosion are featured):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCXuppjTyG8

On Blastoise replacing Bowser, well it wouldn't be Smash Bros. if Bowser wasn't in. Though it would be cool to see Blastoise in as playable. He probably would be Bowser speed though.

Browny

Smash Hater
blaziken gets a lot more hype because its very anthro, much like lucario. I think its fair to say thats a popular trait in pokemon :/

I know I would have mained Blaziken if he/she/it was in brawl, it was awesome in R/S.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
I like charixard, Blaziken might have been more agile but charizards weight and gliding ability seems really cool and fun for me :D, the next smash bros wont come out until the next console, playjump super stars if u want another fighter like smash.

Top Bottom