• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long will Melee Last?

BluePeachy100

Smash Champion
I would rather still play regular Melee. Not insulting it, I think it's a great Idea, much better than B+, but unless the physics of the actual came can mirror that of Melee, it just wouldn't feel right, although it's not bad, not bad at all.

Don't get me wrong, when it comes to, I will try it. >w>

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Just read Sveet's edit. I was wondering, were you going to make the game more balanced, I guess that's my answer. I would like to do that as well with a remake.
Depends on what you mean by balance... I dont mean balance like brawl/brawl+ people think of balance. They usually mean taking out all the gay stuff so the game is really bland and "fair"

I'd rather be like SC/WC3 where the balance is in the imbalance. Each character has gayness, but equivalent gay. I'd rather have every character be really good and have a few that are even more good than the rest than have 1 or 2 aiiiight chars and the rest suck.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Im soo biased vs brawl right now.

Im not touching anything that stems from it.

ITs either a melee mod or a new game entirely.

**** SAKURAI

King Siegfried

Smash Apprentice
Melee will last until enough of us contract carpal tunnel from continual use of our 1337 tech skill that it becomes an eminent danger to our survival as a community.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If i ever make my game, it probably won't be anything like smash as far as characters and stages go. Gameplay would be essentially the same tho.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
melee wiill die in december 2012. cause we're all dead.

2000 years later our descendants discover this website and determine that ssbm was a polytheistic religion with high priests called smashers and 26 gods of varying power. it makes more sense then any of their religions, so millions convert, sparking a colossal search for artifacts and eventually culminating in the discovery of the last functional gc.

this holy relic becomes the template for a future of holy smashing.

unfortunately, its this one: http://www.istyles.com/images/gc-neop.jpg
LOL you win.

Im soo biased vs brawl right now.

Im not touching anything that stems from it.

ITs either a melee mod or a new game entirely.

**** SAKURAI
that was what I first thought but If it goes the way they plan on making it go it could be better potentially great.

Nothing will ever be more satisfying than getting a grab with CF.

Melee forever.
amen

DoctorBendz

Smash Cadet
It will last until we stop playing it. If you want melee to live on at a competitive/tournament level, then go to as many tournaments as you possibly can, and keep it alive yourself.

Although I've known about ATs and the professional scene for a couple years now, I just recently started being serious about melee, and am attending my first tourney next month, and I hope it's the first of many during the next few years.

We have the ability to keep it alive as long as we want. So let's keep it alive forever.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
in truth I think the this new golden age of melee will continue up until the 10th anniversary Smash Tournament that I saw in a vision while I was on a spiritual smash journey(LOL). After that it'll continue on throughout that year and then that will be the last of the golden age. It's steadily go down from their but some ppl will keep playing in their own small groups. Some of us will get married, have kids, name them Falcon...etc and life will go on.

Mean2U

Smash Cadet
Melée will live as long as people find it fun. I think no online makes it great because u get to play it in front of your friends instead of some random ten year old on xbox live. Melée is the funnest game ever made. I play gamesfor fun. Not for friggen mp40+juggernaut.

Red the Ghost

Smash Ace
Many areas are just now forming competitive Melee scenes, even so many years after its release. Spoon, Slasher King and I have only been playing for like a year, and we're bringing new Wilmington people into competitive smash. We've had to go through a few things, but I've seen no major sign of the game really slowing down.

BEES

Smash Lord
I would say it's contingent upon future Nintendo releases. Without a good, recent smash bros. game the supply of new potentially competitive players could dwindle.

Do you think the next Smash Bros game will be any good? I'm skeptical.

That could put Melee in danger 5-10 years from now.

On the opposite side of the coin, there is no other game that captures the quirky yet intense nature of Smash Bros, and no game in the series does it as well as Melee, unless someone else comes along and makes another series that does it better. So perhaps Melee will be unique and survive. We'll see.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
pound 4 was the biggest melee tourment ever and it was today. The only thing we have to worry about are

people to lazy to learn
controller shortage
run out of copies

fairly unlikely

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
It won't die. As people are forgetting it, SSBM will be released on virtual console for Wii2 for 2000 points. Then mad hype and Pound 14 will be the revival tourney.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
i wish people would see that while it's not super exciting like watching fox and falcon go at 359598375328953853257 actions per second, it's great to see smart play. If we, as smashers, took time to work on that sh*t instead of multishining 11 times with falco/fox and moonwalking accross the stage, the level of play would be alot higher in general.

on topic

melee will last as long as we make it last by showing people the game and not being afraid to reach out to players that really want to learn.

Toobz

Smash Journeyman
It will only end when we get bored with it. It is such a unique fighting game, that I highly doubt that anything will be released that will feature similar gameplay. The ATs of this game have turned it into something completely different from any other fighting game, including the sequel and prequel.

holypho

Smash Apprentice
It probably will die if a combo of things happen :

1. once waffle77 on youtube doesn't load anymore videos...
2. there is sooo much hype that like economy (it can go up so much), that the hype machine breaks and hype isn't made like it used to.
3.if top players quit, iono this will probably affect the death alittle bit
4.players get too old and can't go to as many tournies
5. if no more drama, i wish players hated each other so more drama is made, tnt has it right.
6.people are hating jigglypuff(super bad in the videogames) starts annoying too many ppl, i say just ban
more than 1 or 2 rest per game because there are tooo many ways to get it if your really good.
7. if super smash bros 4 is made and sakurai decides that wavedashing the "it" of 2016.

i don't want melee to die : /, melee is like dora gummy bears, i need to eat it alot.

but superstreetfighter four looks really sick and tasonoko vs capcom look really cool but nothing can
beat the dynamics of melee

Brick_Top

Smash Apprentice
6.people are hating jigglypuff(super bad in the videogames) starts annoying too many ppl, i say just ban more than 1 or 2 rest per game because there are tooo many ways to get it if your really good.
lol, good luck with that. Why put a limit on one of the best reasons to watch/play jiggs

Jonas

Smash Champion
pound 4 was the biggest melee tourment ever and it was today. The only thing we have to worry about are

people to lazy to learn
controller shortage
run out of copies

fairly unlikely
Yeah, I sometimes think about the physical longevity of Melee - that is, some day, people's controllers will be completely busted and most discs in existence will be too scratched to work, but that's gonna take a looong time. Besides, when that happens, I think most will just resort to emulators, and then Melee will truly live on forever :lick: (it's basically what's happening to Smash 64)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
The better question should be "How long will the smash series as a whole survive?"

With Melee's online capabilities improving, it'll soon become SSB64 status. On top of the tournaments in-person, I predict more people beginning to pick up the game because it has online capabilities.

I know ALOT of people who play Brawl PURELY because it has online capabilities. Imagine the spike in popularity if we tap into this resource when Melee's online becomes more stable?

Even with Melee/Brawl's existance, SSB64 retains a fairly respectable following, WITHOUT counting the online population. Online is great, but the best experiences are had in person, interacting with people.

Top Bottom