• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long will Melee Last?

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Some brawl developer people are working on a melee 2.0 of sorts..
yea i heard about this... its called project M and it is basically brawl plus except instead of trying to make it a more fun brawl, they are trying to make everything like melee.

When i was told about it i asked "why not just play melee" and i still don't have an answer...

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
yea i heard about this... its called project M and it is basically brawl plus except instead of trying to make it a more fun brawl, they are trying to make everything like melee.

When i was told about it i asked "why not just play melee" and i still don't have an answer...
Im not feelin it. even if its like melee, the stages are ****ing trash and just arent at the right proportions.

Stev

Smash Ace

more characters, newer graphics

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
The better question should be "How long will the smash series as a whole survive?"

With Melee's online capabilities improving, it'll soon become SSB64 status. On top of the tournaments in-person, I predict more people beginning to pick up the game because it has online capabilities.

I know ALOT of people who play Brawl PURELY because it has online capabilities. Imagine the spike in popularity if we tap into this resource when Melee's online becomes more stable?

Even with Melee/Brawl's existance, SSB64 retains a fairly respectable following, WITHOUT counting the online population. Online is great, but the best experiences are had in person, interacting with people.
tbh Online is going to be as bad as Brawl's if you don't include some sort of voice chat, leaderboards, and a stable 60 fps framerate despite up to 10000 people online.

Good luck 2 whoever is shooting themselves in the foot tryin' 2 do this. How long will Melee last? Well, unfortunately w/ modern technology and simply better games (honest) Melee would look less attractive. If the ppl who play it now continue to play then I'd give it 'bout 4 years 'til it's over.

Btw a lot (not all) of the Brawl community who plays online are casual and looking at a game like Melee w/ online won't appeal as much. Why? 'Cause not everyone will play Smash competitively and the only true way to attract ppl to Melee than Brawl is the fast speed combat. Again, not everyone will play w/ ATs and combos.
I apologize is anyone doesn't like my logic but imo Melee is anything mainly a game. All games get forgotten, then played due to nostagia, then ppl simply move on. I kno plenty of ppl who play Melee but it's not even their main game. :samus2:

@Stev: Graphics don't make a game, gameplay does so I would rather just play Melee than some ****ed up Brawl hack, no offense.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
i can't see project M being good. I have too many disputes with the brawl physics, such as jumping. When you jump in brawl you have a short jump animation and then you are at your jump's peak with no upward movement.

There is also the shields which are uber broken (super easy to powershield, no lag from letting the shield down)

Also, they can't edit the hitboxes of moves afaik so they can't alter priority or range to balance characters out. It would basically turn into brawl+ with lcanceling and wd.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
i can't see project M being good. I have too many disputes with the brawl physics, such as jumping. When you jump in brawl you have a short jump animation and then you are at your jump's peak with no upward movement.

There is also the shields which are uber broken (super easy to powershield, no lag from letting the shield down)

Also, they can't edit the hitboxes of moves afaik so they can't alter priority or range to balance characters out. It would basically turn into brawl+ with lcanceling and wd.
Most of this is actually untrue.

They can balance the moveset fine. Its not always about range and priority either. Often its hitstun, knockback, damage that are the real problems.

They also have been working on changing the shields so that they look nicer(done) but that you can powershield projectiles. Idk about light shielding.

I dont remember if they were changing physics, but theyll have to change somethings so that you can WD properly so its w/e.

but they have also trying to do some cool hybrid stuff. Like neutral brawl airdodge but melee directional dodges.

Im still against it lol.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
isai's coming back so........
He claimed that he'd never go back to Melee, but he did. Everyone's just waiting for Hoang.

There are many undiscovered things in the metagame. I mean, there was that AT discovered last year. This game will last for a WHILE.

TL?

Smash Ace
Melee will last as long as the smash bros series is popular. Even if Brawl is more popular and even if melee loses some steam, there will always be melee side events at any big tournament. if people can get Brawl+ tournaments with good turnouts, I can't see melee going anywhere soon.

Steelia

Smash Champion
If, and only if, there is a proper sequel to the Smash Bros. franchise -- i.e. Super Smash Bros. 4 being a direct sequel to Melee, "glitch" physics and all, characters+, a la Street Fighter 4 being a sequel to II -- could I ever see Melee being cleaned off this map. New Wii/Brawl players are constantly being introduced to Bros. 64 and Melee, and because of that more converting players will arise. Granted, not every one converts... but it still happens.

That's a big If. Even I'm not sure I'd want to support another Smash, simply because of how infuriated Brawl left me due to its immense hype and overall dissatisfaction.

But even then, Melee's the game I've grown up with for nearly 9 years... I bought the game before I EVER had the Gamecube system, just so I could play it immediately when I got it for my birthday. The only time I stopped was because that piece of **** Brawl had me brainwashed for several months, but otherwise nearly every day was devoted to Melee play. Now I'm reaching a new peak of performance, and I couldn't be happier with the outcome.

Long Live Melee.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Melee will go on, and maybe even evolve, long after brawl.......
LONG LIVE MELEE MY FRIENDS!

BEES

Smash Lord

They can edit hitboxes and they have done that for quite some time now. Sonic's priority in the last B+ codeset is some broken ****.

I like Brawl+. It's not as good as Melee yet. It's still slow. Jumps go too high and take too long to peak, crouch canceling and jc grabs still aren't in, inexplicably, and most moves are just too slow, but eventually... I see no reason why they couldn't make it as strategically deep as Melee.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
He claimed that he'd never go back to Melee, but he did. Everyone's just waiting for Hoang.

There are many undiscovered things in the metagame. I mean, there was that AT discovered last year. This game will last for a WHILE.
Isai said in the pound4 thread that if Scar teaches him how to play he would come back.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Puff dittoes will kill this game. People need to step it up or the game will die.

(Not hating on mang0 or hungrybox)
there is a good chance u may be right...mango and hungry box are really good, but puff dittos are the complete opposite of falcon dittos (meaning puff dittos are SUPER BORING AND LAME)

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Like Umbreon mentioned, there is no exact time when it will end, as long as there are people playing SSB64 and Melee, their fanbase will never end, regardless whether there are tourneys or not.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Well now that I've seen a lot of replies...imo Melee will last until there is a community that is good and growing with many newcomers who learn the game fairly quickly, and of course as long as we have copies of the game controllers, etc. So I'm thinking all this is equivalent to about 5 years or until ssb4 if it has exactly the same mechanics as melee

mainlink

Smash Cadet
I owned a Gamecube, sold it, bought Melee, got a new Gamecube. It's always in my Cube. It's the only game I play. Except for Silver now and then. The best of the three in my opinion. It truly brings joy to me.
Love it, Melee all day.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Agreed Melee is one of the very best games ever... maybe even the best and I think the smash series is the best series of all time... i rank it next to the final fantasy series

pacostaco123

Smash Cadet
I have one cube, six controllers, and one copy of melee. It is my favorite game ever. Even after playing for two or so years and then picking it up more seriously for the past four or so years, I still practice a few times a week!

And to top it off, I STILL know a few people who just started to get serious at melee. If they play it as long as I have, this game will go on for at least till the next *good* smash game comes out.

Top Bottom