• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long will Melee Last?

TheLake

Smash Master
hopfully?!

Melee is gonna last longer than the english language

and thats the truth *****es

Zodiac

Smash Master
I think melee will last until another smash game BETTER than melee comes out. Its obviously the best game of the three and people will continue to have tournaments for it until something good enough comes along as a replacement. Brawl isnt that game.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
*looks at MVC2*

*looks at SFII*

*looks at Tetris*

.....a while.
http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292651

In the thread an MLG rep states that if "the planets align" MLG and Smash could definitely happen.
Not to mention that a good portion of the posters in the thread are wanting Melee rather than Brawl. :]

We'll see what happens.
anything is possible, I mean, we don't even have a planet anymore(Pluto.)

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I really do think Melee will have a longer life span than Brawl, and I'm not just saying that as a fanboy. Melee is lucky to be a real crowd pleaser. Brawl really doesn't have that which makes it more prone to be forgotten in favor of the next big game (Smash4?)

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
I really do think Melee will have a longer life span than Brawl, and I'm not just saying that as a fanboy. Melee is lucky to be a real crowd pleaser. Brawl really doesn't have that which makes it more prone to be forgotten in favor of the next big game (Smash4?)
agreed my fellow smasher

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I think that all depends on how long competative video games will last. As long as they do, Melee will always have a place i think.

Signia

Smash Lord
2-4-2010

"SupahJem-
Stats aren't an issue. AZ has that covered. Thank you for the offer, though.

I asked if the planets will align to imply that more than just the Smash community and MLG have to be on the same page. I personally have no doubt that the Smash community would support and welcome us again. However, there are a lot of factors in play, ones that don't impact grassroots or underground tournaments but certainly do impact corporate entities like MLG. Strangely enough, some corporate organizations ignore protocol and risk receiving a C&D (cease and desist) or being sued, preventing them from using the game in any capacity for the foreseeable future.

I'm simultaneously on both sides of the fence as far as tournaments are concerned: I work for MLG and understand first-hand the difficulties involved when it comes to corporate-backed tournaments, and I've also competed in almost 30 SF4 tournaments in the past year, all of them grassroots with possible exception to EVO--perhaps corporate in name but grassroots through and through. As an MLG employee, I am sometimes envious of the relative simplicity of grassroots tournaments. MLG has more resources, but it comes at the cost of corporate red tape."
Gran_Calc
Sales Operations

http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292651&page=9

Zodiac

Smash Master
2-4-2010

"SupahJem-
Stats aren't an issue. AZ has that covered. Thank you for the offer, though.

I asked if the planets will align to imply that more than just the Smash community and MLG have to be on the same page. I personally have no doubt that the Smash community would support and welcome us again. However, there are a lot of factors in play, ones that don't impact grassroots or underground tournaments but certainly do impact corporate entities like MLG. Strangely enough, some corporate organizations ignore protocol and risk receiving a C&D (cease and desist) or being sued, preventing them from using the game in any capacity for the foreseeable future.

I'm simultaneously on both sides of the fence as far as tournaments are concerned: I work for MLG and understand first-hand the difficulties involved when it comes to corporate-backed tournaments, and I've also competed in almost 30 SF4 tournaments in the past year, all of them grassroots with possible exception to EVO--perhaps corporate in name but grassroots through and through. As an MLG employee, I am sometimes envious of the relative simplicity of grassroots tournaments. MLG has more resources, but it comes at the cost of corporate red tape."
Gran_Calc
Sales Operations

http://www.mlgpro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292651&page=9
MLG may own smash boards but we run WAY more tournaments then mlg does, I've maybe heard of one or two grass roots smash tournaments from mlg, if that, And anyone that doesnt work at mlg doesnt know why they dont put it on the circut, from the outside looking in it seems so so so so obvious that they should, in fact it seems obvious that it never should have been taken off and just marketed better.

Or was it really because microsoft decided they didnt want nintendo on the circut?

Stev

Smash Ace
These guys have a thread and their goal is to try to turn brawl into the next melee after melee, i think that makes sense. They mod brawl chars(they can wavedash and stuff).
Make sense, yes. Practicality? none. It won't catch on from a competitive standpoint like melee is because it's a mod, but it will be cool once they finish it.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
These guys have a thread and their goal is to try to turn brawl into the next melee after melee, i think that makes sense. They mod brawl chars(they can wavedash and stuff).
lol brawl will never be as good as melee, they can try all they want...Melee>n64>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Brawl

Wolfey Kong

Smash Rookie
I will play this game forever. Every time me and my old friends from junior high meet having a good time, we always play melee. It's the game we always used to play during the recess. We instantly went home to one of our friends after school or in the recess just to grab the controllers and feel the competitive aspect the game had to offer.
It's simply nothing like the feeling you get while the first few secounds of the beloved Melee theme enters your ears.

And thanks to Clint Eastwood(The user) for posting his inspiring words in page 1. It actually made me post for once. :)

GreatFox64

Smash Journeyman
the only way melee will die out is if they release melee 2 (same exact game as melee, just with new characters and new tournament-worthy stages).

Clint_Eastwood

Smash Apprentice
I will play this game forever. Every time me and my old friends from junior high meet having a good time, we always play melee. It's the game we always used to play during the recess. We instantly went home to one of our friends after school or in the recess just to grab the controllers and feel the competitive aspect the game had to offer.
It's simply nothing like the feeling you get while the first few secounds of the beloved Melee theme enters your ears.

And thanks to Clint Eastwood(The user) for posting his inspiring words in page 1. It actually made me post for once. :)
You are very welcome.

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
Brawl will never lower the amount of Melee player...Project M though....now that has some potential behind it. XD
I think it will have to be rediculously good to get melee players to sway.

They are a pretty stubborn breed and like things exactly melee.

So I feel like little things like fox being ugly might even be a problem.

The entire game needs to be changed. The stages are even too small to suit melee. or maybe the characters are just too big. but theres not enough room to ****.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
I think it will have to be rediculously good to get melee players to sway.

They are a pretty stubborn breed and like things exactly melee.

So I feel like little things like fox being ugly might even be a problem.

The entire game needs to be changed. The stages are even too small to suit melee. or maybe the characters are just too big. but theres not enough room to ****.
I completely Agree

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
Ok, I didn't read any of the posts. I'm responding directly to the topic maker. So my question is:

What is Melee?

In the physical sense, Melee will be around for a long time. Computers exist that can run Melee at full speed. No question about it, unless the world ends, Melee will still exist.

How long will the competitive scene last? Well, that is all in the eyes of the beholder. I guarantee you, that long after Melee "dies", people will still play it in there own cliques. It won't go anywhere and people will keep playing it, whether its "hey I remember this game I used to own at it, I'm the master with the beamsword", or "man I'll never let this game die, best and deepest fighting game of all time." In both cases, it will be for nostalgia. If there are no longer tournaments, no longer reasons to improve, then it will be directly within those cliques.

How long will tournaments with large turnouts last? Well we can look at it this way: Brawl is NEW. As long as Brawl exists, people will compare it to Melee. Melee players will often times convert people to Melee if the person playing Brawl thirsts for a competitive game as apposed to a party game. So in my opinion, as long as Brawl exists, whether from a false sense of pride or need to defend it, Melee will exist to counter it. Melee only tournaments will still be heald. Melee will unite because of a hate for Brawl, but Brawl will still be popular because it's mostly a casual game. They will feed off each other. Brawl will not kill Melee. If people were gonna switch over they would have by now.

How long will Smashboards last? Well, for all the people who have retired from Smash, new people are coming constantly (myself included). And the people who don't play as much as they used to still come here. Not only that but Brawl still has a long time before its been around as long as Melee. Now you may argue that the Melee and Brawl communities are seperate, and I would agree. But again, as stated above, as long as Brawl exists, so will Melee.

Is there anything else to improve on in Melee? I'd say... that as long as people keep coming, there will never be perfection in this game. People will change the Metagame, slowly but surely. Now that Melee has been around so long it's hard to imagine it dying. Frankly, Melee to me, is sitting on a couch with your friends and beating the **** out of each other, in an extremely deep, techskilled, awesomely fun way. And as long as thats what Melee is, it won't die, for me at least, any time soon. Not as long as there are people better then me, which will be at least until the game is no longer played by anyone.

TL;DR

lol bralw sux melee ftw

brg

Smash Ace
Ok, I didn't read any of the posts. I'm responding directly to the topic maker. So my question is:

What is Melee?

In the physical sense, Melee will be around for a long time. Computers exist that can run Melee at full speed. No question about it, unless the world ends, Melee will still exist.

How long will the competitive scene last? Well, that is all in the eyes of the beholder. I guarantee you, that long after Melee "dies", people will still play it in there own cliques. It won't go anywhere and people will keep playing it, whether its "hey I remember this game I used to own at it, I'm the master with the beamsword", or "man I'll never let this game die, best and deepest fighting game of all time." In both cases, it will be for nostalgia. If there are no longer tournaments, no longer reasons to improve, then it will be directly within those cliques.

How long will tournaments with large turnouts last? Well we can look at it this way: Brawl is NEW. As long as Brawl exists, people will compare it to Melee. Those people will often times convert people to Melee if the person playing Brawl thirsts for a competitive game as apposed to a party game. So in my opinion, as long as Brawl exists, whether from a false sense of pride or need to defend it, Melee will exist to counter it. Melee only tournaments will still be head. Melee will unite because of a hate for Brawl, but Brawl will still be popular because it's mostly a casual game. They will feed off each other. Brawl will not kill Melee. If people were gonna switch over they would have by now.

How long will Smashboards last? Well, for all the people who have retired from Smash, new people are coming constantly (myself included). And a lot of people the people who don't play as much as they used to still come here. Not only that but Brawl still has a long time before its been around as long as Melee. Now you may argue that the Melee and Brawl communities are seperate, and I would agree. But again, as stated above, as long as Brawl exists, so will Melee.

Is there anything else to improve on in Melee? I'd say... that as long as people keep coming, there will never be perfection in this game. People will change the Metagame, slowly but surely. Now that Melee has been around so long it's hard to imagine it dying. Frankly, Melee to me, is sitting on a couch with your friends and beating the **** out of each other, in an extremely deep, techskilled, awesomely fun way. And as long as thats what Melee is, it won't die, for me at least, any time soon. Not as long as there are people better then me, which will be at least until the game is no longer played by anyone.

TL;DR

lol bralw sux melee ftw
5 star post

Top Bottom