• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long will Melee Last?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
People need melee shirts to wear that's all i'm going to say I would wear mine all over the place. But I wish we had some kind of crazy legit way to blow everyone's mind with at once or at least reach more people.

Hey what if we change like 3 things like add a stage, a chartcer and give more hitstun to pichu's moves and sell it as a new ame people will totally buy then go omg this is nearly the same thing, but keep playing because it's the greatest thing ever.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Ok, I didn't read any of the posts. I'm responding directly to the topic maker. So my question is:

What is Melee?

In the physical sense, Melee will be around for a long time. Computers exist that can run Melee at full speed. No question about it, unless the world ends, Melee will still exist.

How long will the competitive scene last? Well, that is all in the eyes of the beholder. I guarantee you, that long after Melee "dies", people will still play it in there own cliques. It won't go anywhere and people will keep playing it, whether its "hey I remember this game I used to own at it, I'm the master with the beamsword", or "man I'll never let this game die, best and deepest fighting game of all time." In both cases, it will be for nostalgia. If there are no longer tournaments, no longer reasons to improve, then it will be directly within those cliques.

How long will tournaments with large turnouts last? Well we can look at it this way: Brawl is NEW. As long as Brawl exists, people will compare it to Melee. Melee players will often times convert people to Melee if the person playing Brawl thirsts for a competitive game as apposed to a party game. So in my opinion, as long as Brawl exists, whether from a false sense of pride or need to defend it, Melee will exist to counter it. Melee only tournaments will still be heald. Melee will unite because of a hate for Brawl, but Brawl will still be popular because it's mostly a casual game. They will feed off each other. Brawl will not kill Melee. If people were gonna switch over they would have by now.

How long will Smashboards last? Well, for all the people who have retired from Smash, new people are coming constantly (myself included). And the people who don't play as much as they used to still come here. Not only that but Brawl still has a long time before its been around as long as Melee. Now you may argue that the Melee and Brawl communities are seperate, and I would agree. But again, as stated above, as long as Brawl exists, so will Melee.

Is there anything else to improve on in Melee? I'd say... that as long as people keep coming, there will never be perfection in this game. People will change the Metagame, slowly but surely. Now that Melee has been around so long it's hard to imagine it dying. Frankly, Melee to me, is sitting on a couch with your friends and beating the **** out of each other, in an extremely deep, techskilled, awesomely fun way. And as long as thats what Melee is, it won't die, for me at least, any time soon. Not as long as there are people better then me, which will be at least until the game is no longer played by anyone.

TL;DR

lol bralw sux melee ftw
An Epic Post sir, and yes Brawl is the scum of the earth.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
People need melee shirts to wear that's all i'm going to say I would wear mine all over the place. But I wish we had some kind of crazy legit way to blow everyone's mind with at once or at least reach more people.

Hey what if we change like 3 things like add a stage, a chartcer and give more hitstun to pichu's moves and sell it as a new ame people will totally buy then go omg this is nearly the same thing, but keep playing because it's the greatest thing ever.

Melee shirts could easily be done :p problem is, what says "Melee" and not "Super Smash Brothers" ya know? I saw an image, I can't remember where exactly, these two kids were playing smash, and this one kid is marth and he's like, thinking of all this complex frame data and ****, and then next to him the other kid is ONLY thinking about falcon punching hahahaha. I laughed for like five minutes when I saw that. I'd definitely wear that shirt

D

Deleted member

I'm not really sure really. However, I do think it's legecy will be preserved throughout the Virtual Console next generation.

Reigned

Smash Rookie
Melee is a great competitive fighting game that's deep in competitive depth and over the years since the emergence of competitive melee has kept improving and I believe it will continue for atleast 15 or so years.

DBD

Smash Rookie
i'm thinking melee will die once the awesome ssb5 comes out.. super smash brothers donny brooke ^.^ (look it up, it means stuff)

tubes

Smash Ace
Melee will die once the 1000 controller salute to melee thread actually achieves 1000 controllers.

Lol never

Jonas

Smash Champion
Realistically though, Melee is going to die when nobody is around to play it. People become adults, get jobs and families and they have no time to travel around the country to play Melee.

Therefore HAVE KIDS AND TEACH THEM THE WAYS OF SMASH :mad088:

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
Realistically though, Melee is going to die when nobody is around to play it. People become adults, get jobs and families and they have no time to travel around the country to play Melee.

This is the eventual turnout indeed, but this means anywhere from 10 to 20 years of melee left.

jugfingers

Smash Champion

The only reason our parents don't play video games is because they didn't grow up with them.

when our generation is 70-80 there will be video games in old folks homes.

aka smash will never die.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Everytime I stop playing melee and start playing other genres, I can't help but start playing it again.

Here's a scenario: A FPS is loading a server, DLing sounds and mods and whatnot. It seems that it'll take 5 mins or so. Not wanting to be bored during that time, you play Smash even against a CPU. Then when you see the techs you've been doing, the fighting spirit rises again.

Melee won't die, not until there is no way to play or emulate it.

Wolfey Kong

Smash Rookie
Melee will die when todays youngest generation dies. Those are the ones who will be experiencing the next gen virtual console Melee. After that it can't possibly live on.

A possibility though, is ofc. that later smash games somehow makes the new gens to look up older games finding that melee is thah best.

Lovage

Smash Hero
i would buy a cool melee shirt

if it was nice fabric and had a really good design that wasn't nerdy so you can wear it in public

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459

if it was nice fabric and had a really good design that wasn't nerdy so you can wear it in public
Someone should make one and post the link to it on the Artwork Emporium.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
It should be thought of like this.

Melee will never die because WE will never let it die. ;3 Melee is great, we know that, so its our duty to keep it strong. :3

The only reason our parents don't play video games is because they didn't grow up with them.

when our generation is 70-80 there will be video games in old folks homes.

aka smash will never die.
Yeah, true. Our generation has cell phones, videogames, and the internet. The generation before us (our parents) had televesion. Our grand parents had Radio. So, parents will never understand children, because there will always be something new. One thing that is always constant, is how much people listen to music.

X1-12

Smash Champion

It'd have to be something that is acceptable in normal social circumstances but at the same time totally LOL! to any melee player.

This would be a great new way to meet people in your area, wear the shirt and walk around a busy part of town and see who laughs :laugh:

tubes

Smash Ace
It'd have to be something that is acceptable in normal social circumstances but at the same time totally LOL! to any melee player.

This would be a great new way to meet people in your area, wear the shirt and walk around a busy part of town and see who laughs :laugh:
I'd rather just have a Black T-shirt with a red Smash logo and that's it.

Rikana

Smash Champion
Melee won't die. Death will die before Melee even dies.

these two kids were playing smash, and this one kid is marth and he's like, thinking of all this complex frame data and ****, and then next to him the other kid is ONLY thinking about falcon punching hahahaha. I laughed for like five minutes when I saw that. I'd definitely wear that shirt
I've seen that picture as well. I regret not saving it.

S.G.

Smash Journeyman
the DBR genesis shirt looked pretty cool, idk/remember if it had anything smash affiliated on it
but if it was just a shirt with that logo, and saying genesis
with maybe a DBR somewhere

people prolly wouldn't question it in public

Top Bottom