• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many characters do you play?

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
Hello SWR, my question for you today is how many characters (meaning mains and secondaries) do you play? I currently main CF, but I'm going through a secondary hopping phase. I was wondering how many characters you think its safe to play to the point where you have enough to counterpick, but not so much that you become a jack of many trades and the master of none. I'm thinking around 3 - 4 characters total seems safe, but I'd like to hear your opinions.

Discuss!

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
The Elite Four...

Lucas, Ness, Mario, and Sonic, in order of how good I am with them. I don't think I'll be adding more than maybe one in the future; 5 is enough.

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
Looks like the average right now is around 4... Thanks for the input everyone! I'd love to hear more, but it looks like I'd be safe adding 3 characters to my roster.

Kraryo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SrirachaJoe
3DS FC
4124-5128-1575
Let's see, I main Wario and Sonic. Other characters that I play as would be Toon Link, Pit, Olimar, PT, Fox, Ness, Mario, Luigi, Donkey, and Snake. I would use Zamas more often if her shorthop wasn't so terribly high.

kevinw0w

Smash Journeyman
Let's see...

Mains
Ice Climbers
Kirby
Lucas

Secondaries:
Ike
Snake

I think that's it.

5-6 is good.

Son1x-

Smash Apprentice
Pit being my main.
Others I play from time to time are Captain Falcon, Fox, Falco, Mario, Samus, Marth, g&w. Maybe few others I left out.

SmashBrother2008

Smash Lord
Simply just two. That's all I need.

Fox=inspired by my time with Melee

C. Falcon=inspired by my time with F-ZERO GX

chubb-o-wub

Smash Journeyman
I'm great with Lucas, Pokemon Trainer, Toon Link, Diddy Kong, and occasionally Lucario, D3 and DK. Everyone else I suck at.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I play with all of them...except Luigi and Shiek. If I'm doing as you call them "serious matches", I play three, sometimes four depending on the match-up. To be specific, ROB, G&W, Peach, and sometimes Pikachu.

I think an appropriate number of characters is four, five at the most.

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
Interesting... But people, don't list every character that you play for fun!

I'm talking about "I'd enter this in a tourney" characters, not just I play this guy, and this guy, OH and this guy every once and a while too...

Most people got what I meant, and the general consensus seems to be 3 or 4, amirite?

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
lol, random button ftw? I just don't like the idea of trying to be good with everyone. As I stated before, you become the jack of all trades and the master of none.

Barge

All I want is a custom title
lol, random button ftw? I just don't like the idea of trying to be good with everyone. As I stated before, you become the jack of all trades and the master of none.
Or as peachy says
The jack off all trades and the master of none

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Main: Peach

Seconds: DK, Luigi, Snake

DK is by far my best second though.

I use the Mother boys, Lucario, Jigz, Bowser, ROB, ICs (idk how to cg though), Kirby, Falco, Wario, MK, Zelda, Ike, D3, Marth, Captain Falcon for lulz. =o

my lucas, lucar, d3, marth, falco, ics, zelda, ike are friggin trash though lol.

tl; dr: 20char

TheSMASHtyke

Smash Journeyman
I main Lucas and secondary MK.

And I somthingary Donkey Kong and Luigi

Of coarse, in a friendly, I might just use somebody I'm mediocre with

n88

Smash Lord
I main 3 characters:

Lucario, ZSS, and Random (I'm indecisive)

Aver

Smash Cadet
I main Wario, then if I win, stay as Wario, if I lose choose I one of my 8 characters I use as counters. o.0

Lieutenant

Smash Rookie
Well...

Wolf as main. Peach and Falcon as secondaries.
As for the rest, just random. I like to play with every character, 'cept for Climbers or Bowser.

mc4

Smash Journeyman
Main:snake:
Secondary:warioc::dedede:
Good enough to beat other people mains with these characters (skilled players)
These are the only characters I ever actually practice with and learn from the character discussions with 70% play time (when playing against skilled players)

Backups (for fun, for competitive play should it be necessary, and for options should i ever get bored with my main and secondaries)
Good enough to challenge and beat others mains from time to time roughly 20-40%
This obviously refers to skilled players in general and not every player i'm not saying i'm the best there are obviously ppl better than me...
:marth::dk2::lucario::shiek::zelda::gw::ganondorf::falcon::samus2:
I learn how to play these characters from watching videos and don't ever bother trying to research and learn character specific at's etc with (would take too much time) , if i see it in a video then i'll do it. But i'll never read anything in the discussions about them. I'd hate to become a "jack of all trades but master of none" lol.

Top Bottom