• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many invincibility Frames do you get for...

BleachigoZX

Smash Master
Grabing the ledge?

I didn't want to make this thread, but I was searching and asking around for the last day and couldn't find anything. But if you could tell/show me that'd be nice.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Grabing the ledge?

I didn't want to make this thread, but I was searching and asking around for the last day and couldn't find anything. But if you could tell/show me that'd be nice.
Hmm, I'd like to know too. Even though frames are hard to measure without tools, you still 'feel' when they're about to run out and act as soon as you feel that.

I'd like to reassure myself of when my frames will be ending, thank you very much.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
And does it vary by character? What about the number of invincibility frames after letting go from the ledge.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
And does it vary by character? What about the number of invincibility frames after letting go from the ledge.
As far as I can tell, you forfeit all invincibility from ledge-dropping.

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
I tested it and you forfeit all invincibility from ledge-dropping.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
get blapped
... blapped? o_o

I usually attack my opponents when they do a get-up animation (or jump) from the ledge and hit them when their invincibility frames are supposed to be active, according to what I've heard people say every once in a while. So I'm guessing that there are moments when the frames stop having the invincibility effect, and you're still shining white.

Shao-tan

Smash Cadet
When you grab the ledge, you gain X invincibility frames which last even if you drop the ledge. Grab the ledge and drop it at nearly the same time, give it a try. Your invincibility will last a bit longer, and that's why planking is viable and MK's ledge-drop Nairs are useful after a quick edgehog.

demonictoonlink

Smash Master
God I love Dark....

Also, I'm pretty sure it does forfeit the IF's. That's why while doing that you can still be ledge-spiked.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
God I love Dark....

Also, I'm pretty sure it does forfeit the IF's. That's why while doing that you can still be ledge-spiked.
Nah, it doesn't, which is why MK's and Peaches do teh "ledgedrop > (float if Peach) > nair" edgeguards.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
If you did, would people like to explain to me how DK's do invicinble up-B's across the stage? Abusing the ledge drop?

Would you also like to explain to me why sometimes I cannot hit someone out of their aerials, although it is obvious I hit first?

I'm pretty sure you don't forfeit the IF's.

gm jack

Smash Lord
You don't lose them. A thing I like to do with Sheik is, from holding on the chain, retract, get IF, drop and edgeguard through their recovery move.

Flayl

Smash Hero
This is stuff the smash lab group should have tested as soon as they joined. Let us know when somebody reaches a conclusion with photographic/video proof.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
You don't lose them. If you did, Brawl would be so much more fun in general.

The ledge is so stupid.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
If you did, would people like to explain to me how DK's do invicinble up-B's across the stage? Abusing the ledge drop?
Because it is abusing the invincibility frames given from the Up B.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Would you also like to explain to me why sometimes I cannot hit someone out of their aerials, although it is obvious I hit first?
Heheheh, I'm guilty of abusing things like that with Kirby... When my opponent respawns, I wait right next to the ledge and when they get near, I grab it and immediately ledgehop a fair, fastfall when the 3rd kick hits, then grab.

Inescapable. :D

Throwback

Smash Lord
every samus player knows you lose your IF as soon as you ledge-drop. moves like peach/MK's nair are successful because of their priority (ie good hitbox).

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
every samus player knows you lose your IF as soon as you ledge-drop. moves like peach/MK's nair are successful because of their priority (ie good hitbox).
Samus's aerials are just slow and bad. They run out by the time you can do them.

Throwback

Smash Lord
if IF last for 40-50 frames as stated earlier in this thread, and samus' nair/uair comes out on frame 7(ish), then that's highly doubtful. Unless the IF last for only a couple of frames after you let go?

smashmachine

Smash Lord
every1 knows meta gets 10 extra frames on the ledge[/sarcasm]

but seriously there are way too many frames

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
Incorrect. You retain a certain number of invincibility upon dropping from the ledge, and are able to do attacks while retaining the IFs. This is called an "invincible aerial," which was also possible in Melee. It is actually a bit more difficult to time in Brawl due to a smaller window (less frames available after dropping), which is caused by the lag time when you grab the ledge before you can move.

1nconspikuous

Smash Apprentice
Incorrect. You retain a certain number of invincibility upon dropping from the ledge, and are able to do attacks while retaining the IFs. This is called an "invincible aerial," which was also possible in Melee. It is actually a bit more difficult to time in Brawl due to a smaller window (less frames available after dropping), which is caused by the lag time when you grab the ledge before you can move.
i've always wondered about this lag time. i see youtube/tourney ppl dropping so quickly off the ledge to take advantage of the invincibility frames, yet when i try to do it, it seems so slow because of that lag time.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
The only thing that I'm certain about when it comes to ledge-dropping is that the heavier the character is, the longer it takes for them to be able to drop from it. If there really is 40-50 frames of invincibility after grabbing the ledge, then maybe only the lighter characters can take advantage of it by dropping during the invincibility. I wouldn't think that Samus would be considered a light character.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Well, Samus is light, but she is also quite floaty. That might add to the "Why doesn't Samus abuse these?" compilation of reasons, her moving too slow vertically and horizontally to actually reach the opponent in time, while also using an aerial that isn't quick enough.

And them letting go of the edge? It might also have to do with their size... Just speculating, if it's actually true

Top Bottom