• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many people would be interested in a Melee tournament...at SDSU?

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
Yes, Melee. I know there are those of us out there -- the old veterans reminiscent of the days when one could go to a Smash tournament and think, "I wonder what kind of cool combos I'm going to pull off today." When one could sit down with a bag of popcorn and watch Blitz, one of the smallest-in-stature smashers, face off against Taj, one of the largest...without controllers. When Gimpyfish could get away with talking all the **** he wanted because he played one of the worst characters in the game, and HugS played a chick in a robot suit, instead of an androgynous robot.

Yes, the golden days of Melee at its finest. And maybe tournaments at SDSU won't be as epic as Mango winning Pound 3 with undoubtedly the hardest bracket in Melee history, nor as triumphant as HugS's early morning win in singles at the final UCLA Melee tournament. However, with a new series, maybe some new life could be breathed into the Melee scene. Those of us who're craving more can get some, and those who were too late might be able to jump into the scene.

Now, this isn't for certain -- who knows if there's even a venue I could use at SDSU? I move in today and it'll take me a while to get situated, but if enough interest is shown I might try harder to set something up.

Straight

Smash Journeyman
Patrick, sdsu?? youre going to be getting madd gina as soon as you move in and you're thinking of melee??

Good because so was I. Count me in.

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
Patrick, sdsu?? youre going to be getting madd gina as soon as you move in and you're thinking of melee??

Good because so was I. Count me in.
Haha you know =P dude I'd love to see you around, it's been a long-*** time. Like Nexus or some ****.

Well, they woke us up early to do some ridiculous "band run" a tradition...which is probably only a tradition because they wake all the freshman up early and force them to do it.

I'll be on the prowl for good venues this next week, as it seems there's at least some interest. But more people need to post to finalize this!

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
So I'm not really seeing any available venues so far on campus, but that's probably because I haven't been in nearly half the buildings. But it's also a big confusing campus and parking with be a *****.

That said, there is a room in my dorm building. PROBLEM IS the dorm security is tight. Meaning I have to show ID every time I go in the building, and I have to check people in everytime they come in. And I can only check 3 people in. So any good looking rooms in my dorm is definitely a no-go.

I'm still on the prowl. There's still hope.

mrtracy

Smash Journeyman
i go to ucsd and would definitely be down, i know a couple other people here who might be interested as well

Saint Patrick

Smash Ace
Yeah, there's a place called Montezuma hall, but it's huge and probably way too expensive to rent out for a Melee tournament.

Seems like lots of people would be willing to go, so i'm gonna go ahead and try to make this happen. =P

Null_00

Smash Rookie
i would totally be cool with a smash tourney
i used to go to them a lot in nor cal

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
saint p, if boss' biweekly is any indication, you're probably wasting your time. only like four smashers have cars, one of them hardly attends (festizzio), another will be gone (rapelicate) and a third (tofu) is just one guy who represents an ever-flakey melee community (sup mango).

i would be down for this but only under certain circumstances (like a good teams, which normally requires participation from other smashers). so basically you're busting your *** for a bunch of question marks (including myself), and that's just not fair.

the few people who ARE even somewhat dedicated to melee are the ones who are solely dependent on other people for rides.

i'll be going to boss' biweekly and i hope to see you there, but for all intents and purposes melee is competitively dead.

mikalaranda

Smash Cadet
Going to UCSD I'll come if this works out. Nice to know people over there still appreciate melee :D

anto

Smash Apprentice
ohh whaa haha right when i get kicked out of sdsu we wanna do melee tournies. you should try to see if you can get the Arts and Letters room 201 to play in that would be cool. other than that i think there's only the arcade where people were playing brawl while i was at state last year.

Top Bottom