• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How many retro characters do you think will/should be in Brawl?

Angry Sun

Smash Apprentice
I would define retro as characters who came out in the late 80's and early 90's and ones who didn't have series such as Mario and Link.
Mario and Link do have a series.
Unless you meant that the other way.

You made it sound weird.

Someone like Bubsy the Cat.

Or Ice Climbers or Excite Bike Guy(Not up for picking)

G Head

Smash Cadet
if they remove any characters it wouldnt be fair to the people that use said characters and it might make the game less fun

Wiseguy

Smash Champion
One thing i kno for sure is that they shudnt remove any characters...only add new ones
Interesting point of view. I suspect you'll a strong opinion about my character predictions.

I encourage everyone to check out the new character discussion thread: "Prepare to be Amazed and Astounded: Wiseguy's Brawl Character Predictions." Feel free to post a scathing critique, I enjoy a good debate.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
Since when are IC's failures?
Sir, the Ice Climbers were failures because most of IC's kick butt moves required BOTH Ice Climbers. So not only do you have to watch your own back, but you have to babysit the dumb-as-lard CPU Nana. Adventure Mode was a problem when you'd make the jump Nana would sometimes miss so you'd have to go on without her which left you with a wimpy jump. I understand that Miyamoto has a fettish for retro video game characters, but that just makes playing Smash more stressful than it has to be!

Fawriel

Smash Master
The Ice Climbers

Pros:
-Awesome.
Cons:
-Can't ******-kiss.

I don't really know many retro characters... but G&W should stay, since you can barely get more representative of something than him.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
if they remove any characters it wouldnt be fair to the people that use said characters and it might make the game less fun
^^^ Exactly my point of view! I would feel bad for anyone who had their fav character removed, because SSBB would be better if they just redid the characters in the series currently then to remove them.

Other than that, there are probably at least 8-15 slots still left, which is more than enough. Then again I think we all can agree quality over quanity, because who wants to play a game with 1,000 characters that all suck vs a game with 10 that all own like no other?

Just as long as none of the SSB 64 characters or retro characters are removed, I'm good. I still think 2-3 characters are gone, probably Pichu and Doc indefinetly. If those two go it won't bug me, but I would totally like it if Nintendo had Doc as a Mario outfit.

The Doc outfit would be even nicer if it replace Fireballs with Vaccines, but still do the same thing/damage, because that would be nice. Pichu=little hope, but hey you never know. It can return in my book only if it gains some originality and drops the self damaging attacks completely=those suck!

Sir, the Ice Climbers were failures because most of IC's kick butt moves required BOTH Ice Climbers. So not only do you have to watch your own back, but you have to babysit the dumb-as-lard CPU Nana. Adventure Mode was a problem when you'd make the jump Nana would sometimes miss so you'd have to go on without her which left you with a wimpy jump. I understand that Miyamoto has a fettish for retro video game characters, but that just makes playing Smash more stressful than it has to be!
Okay then how come there are a few big pro who mains off the IC? Only one I can think of is Domo (someone else is in my head, but can't remember their name), and they use IC like no other!

Here is a link to a fight between Como (IC) and Josef (Fox), who are both Japanese SSBM pro players, who both are pretty talented. I think this one can prove my point well enough, that ppl can own with IC (I love to watching low-tier users own top tier users=amazing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54b2KAjmj4w

As for retro characters, lets see we got Ness (I think he's retro at least), Mr. G&W, IC, now we got Pit, and maybe 2-3 more would be nice. At minimum expect 5 Retro Characters, but 6 or 7 wouldn't be too crazy to ask for (and would own like no other). I seriously love it when ppl use retro characters and totally own, just as long as they are all good I'm happy! :) :) :)

GenG

Smash Lord
Stafy retro? First game came in 2001. Ness isn't retro either (1995).

I find the lack of Balloon Fighter very disappointing. He is one the most likely retro characters to appear.
Little Mac must to be in.
Sukapon, although obscure, is very smash-friendly.

Sculelos

Smash Journeyman
Really I don't want to see more then 1-2 more retro chars, we already got Pit and he was heavily requested during the melee era, the only other retro chars I would like to see are Bomberman (is he retro?) and Little Mac, Ballon Figher or Sukapon would be okay as well although I'm not familier with eather char so I'm not sure how they would fight.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Maybe balloon fighter was passed up because there is little to to build on to make a playable character...people need to remember that move sets need to be considered.

Chibirobo

Smash Ace
Maybe balloon fighter was passed up because there is little to to build on to make a playable character...people need to remember that move sets need to be considered.
Come on, I'm sure 20 smart developer guys can come up with a decent moveset. I mean, Captain Falcon could never do anything any of those fire attacks,and Fox was never really shown outside of a vehicle before SSM(to my knowledge)

bivunit94

Smash Journeyman
Pit, Mach Rider, G&W, IC, Balloon Fighter are musts.
Little Mac, MASTER HIGGINS (i just thought of that) - optional

Top Bottom