• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much better at smash have you gotten from SmashBoards?

doodmahn

Smash Journeyman
Me? Oh God, so much better. I own my friends and now I beat people who used to be way better than me. Hell, I found SmashBoards in a suggestion from the Prima Strategy guide (which is practically useless, it would have been a waste of $20 if it weren't for the suggestion. :p)

You?

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I've gained more improvement from tournaments and playing Smash with friends than pure posting on Smashboards. Of course, Smashboards is pretty much directly responsible for me knowing about all the local tournaments, FC-Diamond, and meeting other smashers near me.

So I suppose I've gotten tons of improvement due to Smashboards.

Lord Aether

Smash Apprentice
It linked me to videos and taught me some interesting tricks, like ftilt -> laser lock and stuff like that. So it's helped me progress quite a bit as a player even in just 100 posts.

Statuskuo

Smash Rookie
saved me from scrubbiness two year ago. I owe it all to alphazelots list of smash terms and waks videos.

D13

Smash Ace
I'm loads better than all my friends, but that's it. I haven't been to any tournaments yet because I'm a little young.

*I am not claiming to be good. It's very probable that I suck.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Until I discovered Smashboards, I didn't know what wavedashing, floatcanceling, and l-canceling were (This was in the Melee days, though I didn't make an account then, as I was a scrub and though I was better than the people here).

I'd say craptons better.

Rejjae

Smash Apprentice
It provides you with guides for (and sometimes against) any character, as well as other strategies and info. It gives a nice little edge on others who don't read up on stuff like that, but you need practice to actually put all the knowledge to play.

FishkeeperTimmay!

Smash Ace
I played SS64 religiously with my friends. We actually discovered all those weird 0-death combos, and Z-canceling without the help of a central site. Those were fun days.

Then Melee came out, and the game was WAY deeper, and most of us were content just knowing about L-Canceling carrying over, and continued kicking the crap out of each other. Then I found this site, learned a bunch of things, mainly character specific things like Bomb Recoveries and Jump canceling the Shine.

I started become much much better than my friends. They stopped playing Melee because it was no longer evenly matched.

So I started going tournie bound, and got my *** handed to me everytime. Problem? My fingers weren't fast enough for Melee. My mind was, but my fingers could never keep up. My tech skill wasn't up to par, so I could not react to the super fast Captain Falcons and Falco's at tournies. Twas a shame. I curse my fingers!

To this day, I still can't WD, moonwalk, or dash dance properly or consistently. I've been playing competitively for years.

But, Smashboards has taught me a LOT of ways of getting around lack of tech-skill. I learned every single weird trick characters could employ to deepen my mind-gaming. Soon I was capable of making opponent walk into obvious traps with Link. I loved it. I started placing well.

Then Brawl came out, and well, we all know how much slower it is! xD

-Ran

Smash Master
I met the Nola crew because of Smash Boards. Without them, I wouldn't have a -need- to get better. They're great guys to play with, and so it makes you want to get better by the virtue of simply hanging out.

orintemple

Smash Lord
When I came here I sucked ***. This site taught me about all advanced techniques. SO you can guess how much my game improved. Nowadays I am the "go to guy" for Smash information around my area.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
If nothing else, I learned a lot about spacing, zoning and DI from Smashboards, and that has improved my game a lot.

Of course, nothing beats experience. I have some, but not nearly enough to say I'm better than anyone except for my hallmates at college.

MyReincarnation

Smash Cadet
NNID
Theoriginal87
I've been playing since the early melee days and I would occasionally look at this board for strategies for my characters. I was never much of a forumer but I learned A LOT. I started to get more into these boards during the start of January.

Phantomwake

Smash Journeyman
SWF has made me so much more knowlegeable about SSB but rarely do I see it carrying over to my gameplay

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
<3 SWF

And whats this about a mention in the Prima guide? Anyone got a scan?
It was just a passing mention in a quick techniques section of the guide. They mentions the basics like fast falling, and they had a blurb that said something along the lines of "The Smash Bros. gameplay is always evolving and changing. Check out smashboards.com for more info on newly discovered advanced tactics" or something to that effect. Nothing really major.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Sadly, not much at all, really. It helps my friends a lot more when I tell them about tactics I see here, though. Most of the things I've learned about Smash came from searching random Youtube videos.

I do give my thanks for showing me that Wolf's bair is god, though.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
Smashboards has been very helpful in learning the more obscure things; mechanics, matchups, etc. L-cancelling, wave-dashing usefully, QDA, boost smashing... Those complicated things I all owe to people in Smashboards. Without it, I'd basically be a high level computer, lol.

Smashboards was a great start and continues to point to good things.

Duker

Smash Journeyman
I've certainly gotten better, but I don't know if it's thanks to the forum. I'm noticing that I'm getting ALOT better at games I haven't played in years just because I've matured so much.

Unusual_Rex

Smash Journeyman
I'd say load of help. I had trouble beating my friend who mains Lucas, now with Marts infinite grab, its so easy!

Also, all the combo videos, or matches they post help me see how others play, and I try to incorporate it into my style.

Best101

Smash Ace
I went from owning my friends to complete ****** my friends in Melee due to Smashboards. Seriously I 4 stock them when they 3 vs 1 me.
I can't really improve that much on Brawl since it's a super easy little-no-skill game (been at the same level since March 9). But with the little skill the game offers I still own all of my friends and the folks online everytime I play.

JhMS

Smash Journeyman
Before knowing SWF,I was at the same level as my friends in Melee and 64(Heck we didnt even knew about shieldgrabs! XD).Then I started learning a lot and now I totally destroy my friends at Melee and Brawl.Its very sad thah we dont have a lot of tournaments here thought...
So Smashboards helped me a lot.

Frate

Smash Journeyman
I learned how to bombjump, how to combo properly, how to chaingrab, etcetera... and soon it'll teach me how to mortar slide! :D:D:D

Thand

Smash Cadet
Smashboards stepped my game up at least 400%. Not only did I learn nifty tricks, it also gave me a reason to want to get better... it's hard to strive for something you don't know exists.

S2

Smash Lord
Before I discovered SWF, I was playing Melee in 2005 at 2001 metagame level. It was sad.
Dude I think that a lot of Melee players had the same experience.

I spent a good 2 years being "that guy". Meaning I was the best of my friends/in the city, but by all accounts still an absolute newbie.

It wasn't until mid 2004 or so that I went to a tournament and it changed forever how I look at competitive gaming.

Like most players I'm always striving to win and get better, but even being an average tourney goer is better than being "that guy". Most SWF members love challanging (and owning) those types of people.

Actually, Melee changed the way I play games altogether. I look for advanced techs and such even in single player games now (look up games like Super Metroid's speed run community if you aren't following me).

SWF has been vastly helpful in improving, meeting people, and finding tournaments.

goodkid

Smash Lord
SWF has been really useful. I didn't even know there was competitive gaming until I found this site. If you go back to Melee discussion, there is a ton of advice about mindgames, spacing, and teams which is really useful.

King~

Smash Champion
i was introduced to this site back in 06' but at the time i didnt believe in online life for some reason

i mostly just looked at youtube videos which only helped a little in melee.

but i decided to sign up back in febuary to see how the community was, its helped me improve so much in brawl. i never used to look at match ups or look at what moves do what.

ThaRoy

Smash Journeyman
Mhmm, I have learnt a lot and met lots of people. I pretty much love this community.

shrodekill

Smash Cadet
haha great thread. this site has improved my game DRASTICALLY! i always lost to my friend in melee only because he had played for like 4 years or something and i had only played for about a month or 2. Near the end of it I discovered this website, and started learning a LOT of stuff about the game in general. I wanst quick enough to wavedash consistently and didn't want to make my friend mad either.

then brawl came out. now i woop his *** consistently with my ROB. Thanks to these boards i know glide-tossing, fair combos, down-throw to u-air, i could go on. anyways, i would not be able to piss of my friend w/out this site. thanks smashboards :)

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Dude I think that a lot of Melee players had the same experience.

I spent a good 2 years being "that guy". Meaning I was the best of my friends/in the city, but by all accounts still an absolute newbie.

It wasn't until mid 2004 or so that I went to a tournament and it changed forever how I look at competitive gaming.

Like most players I'm always striving to win and get better, but even being an average tourney goer is better than being "that guy". Most SWF members love challanging (and owning) those types of people.

SWF has been vastly helpful in improving, meeting people, and finding tournaments.
This sounds a lot like how I was too. It wasn't until 2005 when I found this place and I didn't know any advanced techniques at the time. Regardless, I'd still beat my friends even when they'd come at me two against one and I always won tournaments at my church. It really wasn't until You Tube came out that I realized that I wasn't that good of a player.

I'd say that this place has definately helped me improve my game and helped me realize that I still have a long way to go before I can consider myself truely "good" at Smash.

Top Bottom