• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Often Do You Tilt Anymore?

M.K

Level 55
I find myself tilting less and less in Brawl than in Melee. Many tilts really don't do anything for me that a Smash couldn't accomplish in the same manner and/or in the same time. As a Samus player in Melee, her Down/Forward Tilts were useful, and as an Olimar/Zero Suit Samus player in Brawl, I find myself just smashing away.

Your thoughts?

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
I use tilts much more than smashes as a Sheik/Lucario player. Lucario's smashes are either slow (up, forward) or have low range (down) compared to the fast tilts with decent range.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
Wolf's ftilt is actually fast so i do use that to finish or evade a combo.
Falco and Fox still have good utilts.
Sonic's ftilt is phenominal because it does a decent amount of damage, is fast, and has better reach than is fsmash.
My cousin uses Shiek's sidetilt to trap someone at low damage and Lucario's utilt has significant speed and is good to use in a combo.

but i do see where you are coming from, they nerfed the damage and knockback for almost all of the tilts and even nerfed some smash attacks. Wolf's fsmash is very spammable and has good knockback if you space it perfectly. I only use tilts from time to time to hit an unexpected blow

Hyperjin7

Smash Rookie
I'd say I use tilts just as much or even more than I did in Melee. I use them to set up aerial combos or to kill, since some are just as good or more useful than smashes. It also helps kill off the chances of telegraphing your attacks (I see that way too often when playing my friends).

Metal_Doc

Smash Journeyman
I think it really depends on the character. Like if I'm playing MetaKnight, I'll use his f-tilt a lot because its a good combo starter and its good for spacing your opponent.

For Samus, I use her f-tilt for spacing as well.

Repulse X

Smash Apprentice
Tilts are def still important, they generally come out alot faster and are really useful for starting combos IE shiek, fox etc

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
Being a Lucario/Mario main, I use tilts way more than smashes. Most characters u-tilts combo into themselves at low %'s and into arials at high %'s. F-tilts are great for spacing and are way faster than a f-smash. D-tilts vary in uses from character to character. However, I can see where you are comming from, using ZSS/Olimar. Thier smashes have amazing range and spamability.

Hunter_R

Smash Cadet
I use tilts much more in brawl. That might be because I used Link in melee, and his tilts sucked.

2DLogic

Smash Cadet
I think it really depends on the character.
Definitely. Each character has different strengths and weaknesses, but as a whole I don't see tilts being any more or less useful than they've ever been.

ZSSamus has great tilts however so I'm not sure why you're not using them as much. Her f-tilt is better for quickly spacing yourself than her laggy f-smash. Her d-tilt pops them into the air on hit allowing you to chase; dash>u-smash is what I usually use at low/med %'s, or you can chase with u-air at higher %'s. U-tilt will reliably knock someone directly above you and can lead into Up-B an u-smash.

VEC

Smash Journeyman
I don't because I play Pikachu and Luigi, there tiltd are HORRIBLE!

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
totally depends on your character and your range against the specific opponent you're playing against

this is WAY too broad

in general, tilts are not useless

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
I think I use tilts even more in Brawl. I never really realized how useful they were until now, most of them have a lot of range, especially forward tilts. Most of them also come out very quick, which is also important. Besides, shouldn't you keep your smash attacks from diminishing until you need them to kill people?

Eyada

Smash Apprentice
I agree that it depends on your character. I main Snake, so tilts are required. Snake is probably the most tilt dependant character, but I find that they are essential for spacing and close combat for most everyone it seems. I use them extensively with all my characters.

Strivus

Smash Cadet
As an Ike user, I can safely say tilts are my attacks and with the exception on the down smash, the rest are used to punish predictability/mistakes.

-Knux-

Smash Ace
U-tilt->U-tilt->U-tilt... Yeah, go Kirby.

D-tilt is useful for tripping, so I'll use it every now and then. xP

<('.'<)

joeysmash

Smash Ace
NNID
papakarcher
I find myself tilting less and less in Brawl than in Melee. Many tilts really don't do anything for me that a Smash couldn't accomplish in the same manner and/or in the same time. As a Samus player in Melee, her Down/Forward Tilts were useful, and as an Olimar/Zero Suit Samus player in Brawl, I find myself just smashing away.

Your thoughts?
funny ur an olimar main (so am i) and i thought the same thing. Then i did some testing, and tilts out prioritize a lot moves, such as sonic.

Cohen

Smash Apprentice
Yeah ...i main marth...and tilts .......especially is up.......are really really really goood (:

Niko_K

Smash Master
Diminshing knockbacks and percentages are a big enough reason to use your tilts instead of your smashes. The end.

Waddle

Smash Ace
I use tilts more than smashes because I use Dedede and even if I played another character, I'd probably still use tilts more. I hate spamming smash moves like a nub tart.

Silfalas

Smash Rookie
I use more tilts in brawl. Maybe because i don't rush directly for a combo as i used to in melee since there is less combo capability.
Fox/ Falco have great up/forward tilts. I use up tilts with Toon Link after a down grab and forward tilts to keep my space. I try to save some smashes for later but before that moment, forward tilts give me space for more damage. Very useful.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
I would use them more often but for some reason they are harder to perform than smashes in Brawl... which doesn't make any sense to me at all.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
The thing about this game is that you CAN get away with just fsmashing the place of tilts, but when you play someone better, who has the ability to manuever between tilts and smashes, your going to be screwed. Oli's forward tilt is pretty nice tbqh. Its got good range and comes out fast, and when you dont want your smashes to decay in power, it can take the place.

Also, as a Ness player, his dtilt is good becuase it is fast, does damage, and even trips your opponent. His ftilt is relaly strong, gets people off the edge, and isn't slow like his bat.

Also, Oli's dtilt is a good combo set up, since it knocks people up.

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
I play Olimar and Wario, and I rarely use tilts for Olimar. The only useful ones for Oli are the D tilt and up tilt to me.

As Wario, his F-tilt is a good kill move and the D-tilt is pretty good at low %'s.

ldxazamb

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3609-1337-7155
i only use d tilt and u tilt thats about it i main meta so its mostly airials

LoyalSoldier

Smash Apprentice
I love it when people overuse smash moves. Because then I play mind games with them and just wait for them to make the mistake that allows me to drive into them and rack up the damage. Smash moves are double edged swords. They do massive damage, but at the same time they create a potential for the other person to do massive damage at the same time.

Now granted some character's tilts are only mildly useful, overusing smashes generally does not result is a victory against a good player.

distr0ia

Smash Apprentice
anyone playing Sonic (anyone?...*cricket noises*...no?) hmm......anyway, anyone playing Sonic knows not to smash often, if ever

oh, and if you play Power Suit Samus (anyone?...*cricket noises*...seriously?) well, if you play Power Suit Samus, I recommend learning to utilize her dtilt, but anyone could tell you that

do you guys think tilting with the analog stick is a bit pickier now? it's been almost a month and I still find myself occasionally smashing when I meant to tilt...and that's not good

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
I tilt more in Brawl because Falcon's tilts aren't nearly as easy to punish as almost all of his other moves are. lol

Top Bottom