• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How should I improve my on the fly rests?

How should I improve my on the fly resting abilities?

• Practice on running cpu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Git Gud

• Git Gud

• Total voters

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I would, but I've been getting so many rests lately off my opponents falling for the dumbest bait in the world, that I'm not sure I can get any good rests anymore without just straight up gambles.

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
Reads of rolls work... Also punishing laggy moves with rest. Laggy moves are a lot harder to punish now because of the sheildstun added in September. I consider it a nerf. I have no idea why other people don't unless they play players that use laggy moves on sheild all the time. 5/8 of my rests then probably came from OOS.

Rolling onto an opponent works if your opponent is doing something where it would be quick enough.. Not very useful for competitive play except maybe the first round or second round. Maybe losers up to round three.

I don't rest too much tho. Sorry :p

Stickmanlolz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lolaldenlee
Switch FC
SW-1694-6309-5598
Reads of rolls work... Also punishing laggy moves with rest. Laggy moves are a lot harder to punish now because of the sheildstun added in September. I consider it a nerf. I have no idea why other people don't unless they play players that use laggy moves on sheild all the time. 5/8 of my rests then probably came from OOS.

Rolling onto an opponent works if your opponent is doing something where it would be quick enough.. Not very useful for competitive play except maybe the first round or second round. Maybe losers up to round three.

I don't rest too much tho. Sorry :p
Thank you for your the organized informational comment. Very unlike those people who told me to "pick another character dawg"(:urg:)
I often forget to use it OOS

drakeirving

Smash Journeyman
Powershielding makes this still totally relevant though, outside of certain multihits (which usually don't incur much shieldstun anyways). It's more of a spacing issue than anything else imo, where it's moves that are spaced properly that are now safer on regular shield to the point where you can't punish. Which was still the main issue before, particularly since you're going for OoS Rest. If you can't even Rest these moves on powershield then why would the increased shield stun be the problem?

As you gradually move into higher levels of play, you see the players shift towards better spacing, and suddenly you can't get free Rests OoS because they aren't doing dumb things. Before this, it doesn't matter too much whether you got a powershield or not because the mistake was (usually) their bad spacing rather than the advantage in frame data, and that's maybe where you see the increase in shield stun hurting OoS Rests. But as opponents get better, whether you get the powershield or not starts becoming much more important due to the reduced shield stun and zero pushback, which puts you in a better position to use those extra frames to get past the opponent's spacing for the Rest. More generally, this is why multihit moves are so good at high levels of play; precisely because they shut down powershields, letting the opponent space without danger.

(if only our multihit was easy to approach with)

Last edited:

OmegaStriker

Smash Cadet
Easier said than done, but if opponents start overextending with attacks, you can use Rest as a pseudo-counter due to its invuln. on startup. I hit a Sheik using Bouncing Fish which got me a victory and a Charizard using Flare Blitz, though those are moves with decent startup. Like others said, reading rolls can work for us. Jigglypuff's difficulty in being played right comes from having to learn our opponents' habits and turn them against them to land Rest and rack up damage in general.

Top Bottom