• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How SmashBoards Can Help Brawl's Online Play

Status
Not open for further replies.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
To all forum members, especially mods who can make this idea happen:

It's obvious that smashers aren't completely satisfied with Brawl's Play With Anyone mode. However, there is a way we can get around this, and it's the same way that players of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl get around it. Pokemon doesn't even have a play anyone mode, so we rely on friend codes. What we do is gather at a popular forum, and make a new topic saying who wants to battle? Then the first person to reply gets the battle. Each person would have already posted their friend code (it makes it really easy to keep it in your sig), so they add each other, and meet online. You can also agree on rules before hand by posting them in your sig or first message, like only neutral stages, no items. Here is an example of a thread I just made on Marriland's forums: http://www.marriland.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=2224913#2224913

Now here's the problem with this and how it conflicts with SmashBoards. It normally causes a lot of spam. On the Marriland forums (popular Pokemon forums), I have over 130 posts, and have not posted anything except requesting battles, so I suggest we do this. We create a new section on SmashBoards called Super Smash Bros. Brawl Wifi Battles, and the post count is turned off in that thread, similar to the meet and greet section. This way we don't have to worry about spamming.

In the example I posted above it took 7 minutes for someone to respond to my battle request, which is still pretty good, but normally I've gotten them within 3 minutes. This will provide a better experience for people who are serious about Brawling, so they abide by certain rules (with items and stages), and will generally know that they have a solid internet connection.

Only battles should be posted in the forum, and we could even make a seperate section for Wifi Stadium matches (sandbag nd muti-man).

ArgentStew

Smash Lord
I think it could work... However, I could see a problem coming up with the size of the Smash community... Whichever forum they decide to set up, if they do decide to set one up, could get flooded fairly fast, particularly on the first few days or weeks of release... :/

Anyway, I bet the topic has already been discussed...

Adi

Smash Lord
I agree, however although you are much more likely to get someone who is skilled through this method there is still a large randomness factor as far as the skill of the opponent. If we could integrate a ranking system in this as well it would be superb. However that perhaps, is too much of an idea. For the time this is fine.

OnyxVulpine

Smash Champion
I partially concur. Won't there be like HUNDREDS of threads created per day? (Not much different than the current rate) But that would create a lot more strain on the already slow boards.

I would use it but still, organization and the work it takes for that to be useful. Why not use a chatroom or something?

-Onyx

Tha L@wl

Smash Journeyman
yea i was thinking of this idea too...(i play pokemon too ^_^)
maybe we could have multiple boards separated by what skill level you think you are or something....

Zek

Smash Ace
One suggestion: You should have different boards based on skill level. Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced. Sticky a post in each of them to explain what the categories mean. For example, Beginner is if you can't beat a L9 bot, Advanced is for tourney-level players, and Intermediate is anything inbetween.

shortwanabelaker

Smash Journeyman
i think more than a forum, there should me a live chatroom up where people can find others to play, for all the major messengers (AIM, YAHOO, MSN, etc...) or a java based one. In either case a stickied thread should link to them or point them out.

.selebu

Smash Journeyman
Theres so many ways to do this~
i would appreciate a system like the one explained by ChiboSempai,
however, i think i have to find an european board for that ^^

messiahfreak2000

Smash Apprentice
NNID
messiahfreak2000
got my vote, heck, we could even organize tournaments through this method. just set dates and times.

Testament27

Smash Journeyman
organized post sempai. its a well thought out plan. however, you should think of a way to incorporate skype or ventrillo into this. someone else raised a thought about an aim chatroom or a skype chatroom for brawl matches.

i dont think its premature to be brainstorming about this kind of stuff since were only 50 days away.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Chat is ok, it's what I used to do for Pokemon on Serebii's site. However, I found it a lot more difficult. With threads, you can have your friend code and rules in your signature so it's automatically posted. The three areas inside the Wifi Battles area - Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced sections are a great idea. Also with chat, there are too many posts per second, it may be hard to find a specific person. Sure there will be hundreds of threads in this forum per day, but thats why the post count would be disabled in the room.

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
We have something in the works that I think will be better than posting threads to find people to play. If you listen to the end of SMYN Episode 28, you'll get a quick description of how it works.

Rest assured, we know there is going to be demand for a service like this, and we plan to provide it and make it as straightforward to use as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom