• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to actually fix bad habits?

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
I know I have a frog bad habits but the one I notice most is that I always land on my opponent. Would setting a ticker to remind me not to do it and if I do I SD a stock be good ways or no?

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I know I have a frog bad habits but the one I notice most is that I always land on my opponent. Would setting a ticker to remind me not to do it and if I do I SD a stock be good ways or no?
By "land on," do you mean that you actually touch the opponent without attacking? If so, how does this come to be?

xzx

Smash Lord
Go in in a match with the mindset "I'm not going to land near my opponent" and repeat it everytime a new match starts.

No need to SD if you do: just say "oops, I shouldn't have landed near my opponent!" and then work on not doing it again.

This should be your objective in every match you play. Do this until the habit is gone.

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
Go in in a match with the mindset "I'm not going to land near my opponent" and repeat it everytime a new match starts.

No need to SD if you do: just say "oops, I shouldn't have landed near my opponent!" and then work on not doing it again.

This should be your objective in every match you play. Do this until the habit is gone.
This is very helpful. Thank you!

Reactions: xzx

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
By land on I mean always come down attacking on top of the opponent.
It should be as simple as xzx's answer, but perhaps it is not ENTIRELY bad in a very few select cases, such as making sure an attack that is unreliable or desperately counted on lands. For example, Jigglypuff's (thinking about your avatar) Rest is nearly impossible to land without jumping on the opponent since its body must make contact with the opponent's (Remember that I refer to Brawl whenever I say something about gameplay).

I would also further, Goomboi Goomboi , that it may not even be a curse. If you have a natural tendency for doing this, it MAY be related to the same facts that cause you to main Donkey Kong and Ganondorf. That is, not only are they close range brawlers, but YOU as a player MAY be a close range brawler.

The idea is that there is a possibility that your approach is not a bad habit to be corrected, but a style to be embraced, exploited, mastered and incorporated into your natural smash play style. Of course, this is merely a speculative alternative that I cannot confirm since I obviously do not know how you play, and I certainly do not know what Ultimate feels like. However, in general, ask whether a habit is really bad before committing to efforts to correct it.

Last edited:

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
It should be as simple as xzx's answer, but perhaps it is not ENTIRELY bad in a very few select cases, such as making sure an attack that is unreliable or desperately counted on lands. For example, Jigglypuff's (thinking about your avatar) Rest is nearly impossible to land without jumping on the opponent since its body must make contact with the opponent's (Remember that I refer to Brawl whenever I say something about gameplay).
The funny part is I don't even main puff. They are just my favorite pokemon. Its also mostly when I get launched then I try to come down onto them. im hyper aggressive in smash for some reason. Trying to work on that too.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
The funny part is I don't even main puff. They are just my favorite pokemon. Its also mostly when I get launched then I try to come down onto them. im hyper aggressive in smash for some reason. Trying to work on that too.
Don't be hasty! I am not sure if you read the edited post above, but aggression is not a bad habit; you just need to understand what the best way to implement it is, and use it to its fullest potential. Judging from your mains, I would say that it is a natural fit that you are an offensive player, but you must thoroughly master the 'ins and outs;' strengths and weaknesses of such a style. Never throw it away if you are not sure it is bad!

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
Don't be hasty! I am not sure if you read the edited post above, but aggression is not a bad habit; you just need to understand what the best way to implement it is, and use it to its fullest potential. Judging from your mains, I would say that it is a natural fit that you are an offensive player, but you must thoroughly master the 'ins and outs;' strengths and weaknesses of such a style. Never throw it away if you are not sure it is bad!
I don't know how I would improve that aspect of my game?

Top Bottom