• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to be a King.

Sky`

Smash Lord
What is the learning Curve of you kings?

The learning curve of DDD, doesn't look too steep but, I'd like opinions from actualDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD Mains. =]

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Get good Servants, CG, CG, CG , CG all match, when they get pissed yell "MINDGAMEZ SON!".

Mainly play smart, shieldgrab works well for me and gimp when you can.

Coney

Smash Master
It's very easy to play him well. His moves string together easily enough, can attack on all sides and are very very powerful. You have great spacing moves like ftilt and dtilt. Fighting at close range is never an issue with your enormous grab range. If your crew doesn't play too many DDD's, you'll probably shock them.

It's very difficult to play him VERY well. You're big and slow, and not as heavy as you might want to be. Evasive characters like ZSS have a tendency to leave you in the dust. Smaller characters will almost always juggle you. Your inability to move in the air is a real hindrance, as characters like Yoshi will bob and weave in and out of your range. It also means you're very prone to getting spiked, and with your tiny tiny secondary jumps, you won't get much height after air-dodging. So then you'll have to do the SUPER ELBOW DROP and that's truly awful against good players. Some moves like Inhale and Jet Hammer are extremely useful, but take a lot of forethought and creativity to work.

His learning curve isn't very steep until you get to the higher level...which is true of everyone, I guess.

On a side note, my friends and I love your videos. Whenever we sit down to play Smash, one person always has to say "Guess what, little kid? I'm 'bout to THREE-STOCK your ***."

"Wax that ***" is popular too.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Sky is gonna wax dat @$$!!

As Coney Isle said he has a very easy learning curve but thats mainly because he has NO useful AT's ... Thats what gets me pissed the most about King DeDeDe, no AT's?!? wtf

Sky`

Smash Lord
Hehe. That helps a lot. =]

I'm picking him up as a secondary.
Peach
Kirby
DDD

I think those three are just amazing. <3

Coney

Smash Master
That's funny, 'cause I use

DDD
Peach
Weegee

I liked Kirby but his kill moves were way too telegraphed for me. Peach's are too, but...but I like Peach. :3

skyace89

Smash Journeyman
its funny because i use

WeeGee
DDD.

i just picked him up and i really do like his playstyle...i used him when the game first came out and whooped my boys *** with him and i felt it was unfair...lmao boy what was i thinking.....:laugh:

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Its funny because I use.

DeDeDe
DeDeDe
DeDeDe
DeDeDe
DeDeDe

Similar mains huh? :)

Smudge

Smash Lord
WOP WOP WOP

His B-Air and F-air chain into each other really well. and with his 5 jumps you could easily carry them off the stage id you get it right and recover.

Also, Reverse Aerial Rushing (RAR) B-Airs help you to approach taller characters and lead onto a WOP, it's not as useful against smaller characters but if you initiate while rising or fast fall it , it can get a kill at the right percent.

oh and Waddle Dees aren't just minions, there your friends, a great projectile, a shield and can even cushion blows, use then wisely.

(I know this may seem a little obvious, or stupid but i'm not used to giving advice, but i'd thought i'd try)

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
I think this was not mentioned before, King Dedede has two advanced techniques. One is his Jab Lock, which is not as useful, but it racks up damage and it is somewhat hard to learn. Second is B-Reversal, the true advanced technique for any character, and I know how to use it very well with his Inhale.

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
You might want to learn the timing of the chaingrab on each character. At first i couldn't CG Pit and Diddy because i didn't get the timing right. Now i can CG both most of the time.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Well, Jab Lock is practically useless.

B-reversal is REALLY good, I use it with Inhale all the time and its really awesome.

DeDeDe needs moar AT's.

RATED

Smash Lord
DDD is easy to learn it but to use it at very high lvl is a "bit"complicated. being such a big target , easy to juggle, a bit slow, predictable and punishable recovery , and a punishable Ftilt if the Ftilt get Powershielded. I will post later.

kirbywizard

Smash Hero
3DS FC
0989-1847-5768
to be a king yous send you minions to do all the dirty work, then you wait for your enemy to approach or screw up, my D3 matches last long because I tend to camp, also you cant forget to sit on them if you know what I mean,

cowsareforeating

Smash Rookie
Dedede may be slow, but he matches up well against a lot of characters. And the ones he doesn't match up well against get KO'ed at like 30% by a uncharged f-smash... so.... :D

In all honesty, Inhale is so much more amazing than people think. It screws up super aggressive approaches that dont have ******** hitboxes.

WoP and CG ftw. Also, multi-hit u-air and d-air really hurt shields.

And rocket hammer + mindgames = win.

I agree on the fact that there aren't very many AT's for DDD, but there are things that you can do just to surprise people, and if Ike were good, he'd be DDD lol.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
OMG the post above this one is full of win, Inhale is RLY good, RLY RLY RLY Good and even better with B-reversal.

Smudge

Smash Lord
There's one secret to being a King that we should all take into consideration.

You have to Belieeeeeevee that you are a King, and all should come to you in time.

lol

T3h Albino

Smash Master
uhmmm
learn to cg
learn matchups
learn which characters can be cg'd and which cant
learn your whole moveset and which moves are appropriate in which situations
learn that ftilt is badass
learn your viable kill moves
learn that king d3 is a super defensive character
learn that you dont play mk with d3
you're set

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Tank McCannon is my hero.

In order to truly believe you are King, you must proclaim yourself to be King, like the first Dedede did. Then you must beat the **** out of all naysayers, such as MK and Kirby. Then your Waddle Dee, Doos, and Gordos
will become your loyal SWAT team of enforcers of whatever law you please.

Only THEN are you ready to break the dimensions and become king of other universes, especially Mario's.

Because Italian Plumbers are fun to repeatedly sit on.

|RK|

Smash Marketer
Pshhhh. Kirby is a natural counter to King Dedede. I'd show you some videos of Dedede getting smashed out of his castle, but I don't feel like it right now, lol

Raid

Smash Cadet
The learning curve isn't bad at all, really just getting used to cg'ing some of the chars. Other than that, grab grab grab, and bair a lot.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
But see, it's called "Kirby's DREAMLAND", not Kirby's Reality.

Just whims of a lucky dream.

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
Thank you.

I try.

On Topic:
I've never really had big problems with any character but ICs and Olimar, because I know who to deal with Falco.

I, if the match is played smart, think it's closer to even. On same note, I think it's Snake's advantage when he plays in the same way you play against Falco, extra super campy.

Or maybe I'm not very good at countering great nade placement :/.

I use a combination of OverB to block out the lasers, and ftilt to poke. And of course, shield grabbing.

cowsareforeating

Smash Rookie
On same note, I think it's Snake's advantage when he plays in the same way you play against Falco, extra super campy.

Or maybe I'm not very good at countering great nade placement :/.

I use a combination of OverB to block out the lasers, and ftilt to poke. And of course, shield grabbing.
Couple things to take note of:

Inhale detonates his mine, and if snake is near it, the explosion detonates him. Try it. Of course it requires the right spacing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLIQRnhL_94

Also, inhaling nades damages you, but make it 0 knockback, something that is situationally useful.

Something practice will help you learn how to time is spiking snake when hes recovering. Snakes recovery path is really predictable, and DDD's up B spikes him quite well.

CG all day long, KO with dtilt after CG, all that good stuff. I'd call it 55-45 in your favor if played well?

Taeran

Smash Journeyman
I usually get punished if I inhale the nades, it has pretty much lag.

My problem is actually getting the grab, and it's hard to CG with all the nades/mines everywhere.

I've always had problems with any of the characters I've played, which id pretty much all over the months/year.

Smudge

Smash Lord
I think i've found against Snake is don't over use you Waddle Dees against him.

At long range it's fine and they can pad against Nades quite well, but once he starts to get closer move on. Snake has time to spot dodge into and Up tilt before the lag on the throw finishes. And Snake doesn't have the fastest spot dodge by any stretch.

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
What did he say? LOL! I didn't understand ****, I was good till I got to "mks who vomit attacks" that was random lol.

Royale

Smash Journeyman
D3's learning curve would probably have to be getting the hang of his size/weight. Shield canceled chain grabs are something to practice on, but its much easier to do vs something like motar slide. Usually my take on D3 is;

Keep everything as lagless as possible

Grab to punish [chain grab even]

Use tilts[D+F]

keep utilt and smashes very fresh

If im not WOP with Bair [chain grabbing] then im keeping it extremely fresh

The cool thing is, a fresh dtilt at the edge of a platform can kill a light weight at around 130%

Top Bottom