• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat marth on fd

Burnt~Ramen

Smash Cadet
My friend and I often play marth v fox on fd, with me being the fox. There are some times when I can combo/shine him, but he usually wins by 2 stocks, largely due to his chaingrabs and fair combos. How do I beat marth in this matchup? He is also very good at avoiding my uairs.

4 Aces

Smash Ace
Dash dance and bait out an attack to get him to whiff.

Basically, you need to find an opening one way or another. That way you can get in close to do your combos.

As for him avoiding uairs, you can try to bait his attempts at avoiding the attack, then catch him when he has no options left.

Ex: He always jump to avoid your uair out of grab or something (um...it's the only time I ever consider upairing Marth...and usually grab --> upthrow --> upair connects...). In this case, full jump, but just fast fall, so that you bait his double jump. Now that he has no jump, you can better follow his trajectory and hit him with bair or something. This is just one scenario.

Bottomline is try to bait and be more observant on how exactly he's punishing you.

Lasers help...to some degree.

LazynProud

Smash Rookie
I've actually got a lot of experience in this match up. My friend was maining Marth for a while before he decided to pick up Peach. He still plays him frequently and the thing that I catch him with the most is one of the oldest tricks in the book. Triangle jumping will earn you free grabs and up-smashes. While good DI can keep a Marth out of your waveshine, drill shining should be able to get the both of you across the stage effectively without him escaping. If you find your drill shine blocked repeatedly, use reflector grabbing or shield pressure to punish that shield. When you're fighting Marth with Fox the best thing you can do is stay as in his space as possible without actually being in his space.

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
Just make it your goal to not get grabbed the whole game and make no mistakes

Dash dance camp and laser if you have to and it will get him to do something you can react to for a grab or drill shine combo.. there's nothing he can do

also a quick approach i found that works well is running at them and waveshining for a free grab or w.e.. u can also run up SHIELD then wavedash out and shine/grab/upsmash...

shine oos works good on the ledge against dumb marths who atk ur shield,

and dash into a quik jump shine can be a good way to catch him off guard out of a jump or near the ledge for a kill.. which reminds me even when marth shields his head sticks out and jump shine can gimp him... ppl think its lucky but its not.. his feet also get poked out hella so you can d tilt him sometimes there for good mix ups

also most marths will do side+b under the stage to stall or when trying to get back, as fox this is a free shine when you see them do that, much like when puff does her pound theres too much lag to not punish it xD

edge guarding with back air with invincibility is pretty key too, marth is pretty easy to edge guard but good marths will try and trick you, so just have a plan, i usually hop around then grab the ledge at the last second and if they dont go for the ledge i bair them...

that pretty much sums up how i play vs marth haha..

edit: DI fair combos away.... and when getting chain grabbed i just don't DI at all or DI up and try to jump out at like 30% FD is stupid though on any other stage just DI to a platform

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Fair combos are real illegit ... just hold down and away if you're going to get hit by Fair

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
After you u-throw uair him, get under him or read his descent so you can land some sort of gay combo, gimp, or keep him airborne while you retain juggle options.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Yeah except the priorities on which moves to hit are different on FD 'cuz you either trap him in a super gay up combo, you try to push him to the edge in a SHFFL chain, or you try to gimp him. On other levels there's more room for alternatives because the base punishment isn't so lop-sided. But on FD he can 0-death you if he's savvy and you can't without a good play so be gay and abuse the lack of combo escape options and interruptions to whatever degree you can. It's the only way to keep pace, really.

Gimping him is recommended.

Top Bottom