• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to beat pros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
No I totally agree with Zhu. Decision making is a skill. Knowing what to do by assessing the situation is very difficult. You can't luck into the chess part of melee. Thats why its a good game.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
This alone tells me that youre not going to do very well

LOOOOOL dont get your hopes up. really

LOOOL link is a bad character.

youre gonna get *****

@the people who said that smash is just a mental game and its all about decisions: not completely. a person like M2k would never lose to a noob not only because he makes better decisions and stuff... but also because he has hours of play and matchup experience. a n00b wouldnt know that its a terrible idea to go fox vs M2k and NOT ban FD. a n00b wouldnt know that puff can upthrow spacies and rest them if theyre at very low percentages.
youre right, i didnt do well, but i also didnt get *****. And you must not know much about link, you must be the typical person that follows tiers. If you try hard enough, you can master any character, except maybe bowser lol. Have you not seen aniki defeat ken? Have you not seen lord hdl, germ, and skler? Link isnt the best character, but he definately isnt a bad character. So learn your **** homie...

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
youre right, i didnt do well, but i also didnt get *****. And you must not know much about link, you must be the typical person that follows tiers. If you try hard enough, you can master any character, except maybe bowser lol. Have you not seen aniki defeat ken? Have you not seen lord hdl, germ, and skler? Link isnt the best character, but he definately isnt a bad character. So learn your **** homie...
Really? People still bring up aniki vs ken? Yes, we've all seen aniki beat ken in one friendly before getting ***** in tournament. That said link/marth isn't as bad as say, link sheik. It's winnable as are some of links other upper tier matches, thats why he is where he is on the tier list, but as someone who actually knows skler and what he thinks about link, don't throw around names and assume it makes you right. Link is bad, tiers exist, deal with it.

:phone:

Kaffei

Smash Hero
yeah ive seen em. they don't win nationals because they play a **** *** character

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So by "not getting *****," I'm going to assume you mean "I didn't get JV5-stocked," because placing last in a tournament doesn't exactly fit your description.

gabrielwoj

Smash Apprentice
I even don't know, I never played on a tourney, Brazil just sucks, there is no any tourney!
And online tourneys are pretty impossible with the lag

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
So by "not getting *****," I'm going to assume you mean "I didn't get JV5-stocked," because placing last in a tournament doesn't exactly fit your description.
The person i lost to placed 4th in the tourney, and by not getting *****, i mean he had one stock left in both rounds. hah you people are so ignorant its actually funny reading what you assume.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Single elim? I guess I have to admit that it takes guts to enter a single elimination tournament.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
It's more like this: You did fine. Next time, aim for HIM not having any stocks before you. ;o

huMps

Smash Ace
wow, this is ridiculous. The community somehow still gets new people into the competitive scene of a ten year old game, and instead of being happy about this miracle, we rip the kid down for an obvious lack of in depth knowledge of the game (which is impossible, being new to the competitive scene)
This communities' ego is going to be it's downfall.
I think it would be much more helpful to just be honest with him, don't need to sugar coat it, but the sarcasm doesn't help anyone.

Here's some advice.
A Link without a bomb in his hand is ****
Don't get grabbed by sheik.
Get above falco and nair.
This wont save you from ****, but it's a good lubricant (:

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
So much hate towards link and people that want to master him...sigh, I guess this is more motivation to become a world-class player with link.

Turazrok

Smash Master
The person i lost to placed 4th in the tourney, and by not getting *****, i mean he had one stock left in both rounds. hah you people are so ignorant its actually funny reading what you assume.
I got 5th and you really need to work on your techskill :X

You should try and play with taylor/ go to dibbz.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Your maining Link or wanting to master him or whatever is irrelevant. A low tier is a low tier because he is simply not that great, which becomes most apparent at higher levels of play. Given your current status, I have to admit that there's so much room for improvement that you probably won't even notice that ceiling for a good while, but it's unrealistic to say that Link is totally underrated in a game that's seen 10 years of play by now, at least seven of those years competitively.

My antagonism mostly stems from people who try to talk themselves up when they're not at a significant point yet. Don't confuse it with discrimination of the character you main, which seriously doesn't matter at all.

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
Your maining Link or wanting to master him or whatever is irrelevant. A low tier is a low tier because he is simply not that great, which becomes most apparent at higher levels of play. Given your current status, I have to admit that there's so much room for improvement that you probably won't even notice that ceiling for a good while, but it's unrealistic to say that Link is totally underrated in a game that's seen 10 years of play by now, at least seven of those years competitively.

My antagonism mostly stems from people who try to talk themselves up when they're not at a significant point yet. Don't confuse it with discrimination of the character you main, which seriously doesn't matter at all.
lol dude to be honest, i could care less about what you just said. I love melee, and I love playing link. Bottom line is im not switching mains and i wanna **** with link. So deal with it lol

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Deal with what? There's nothing stopping you from ****** people with Link. Admittedly you probably won't manage against, say, Mew2King using Sheik, but pretty much every character has seen some level of success in some really great player ****** others players who aren't quite up top.

Again, I don't give a **** about who you main or who you want to main. If you keep bringing that up though, I'll start thinking you have some sort of complex about it.

Aber

Smash Journeyman
lol dude to be honest, i could care less about what you just said. I love melee, and I love playing link. Bottom line is im not switching mains and i wanna **** with link. So deal with it lol
I don't even know the context of this whole conversation I was just browsing the boards but dude.....Play whoever you want. No one cares lol

007-jake

Smash Journeyman
I don't even know the context of this whole conversation I was just browsing the boards but dude.....Play whoever you want. No one cares lol
haha thanks homie, thats what im doing. And all these haters can get ***** by my link in the near future :)

D

Deleted member

Disagree about puff

Hungrybox's secret is not really his b-air spam but the fact that he adapts to players extremely well

the fact that he b-airs so much is pretty much a gameplan setup where he can adjust to opponents based on what they do, that's why he usually gets rocked 1st game/ first few stocks then suddenly starts ****** people (either that or he pisses them off too much to make mistakes). i've literally never seen him miss a dash attack after he seems to figure out an opponent

(don't think i like hbox i think hes a doosche)

==

good luck using link, you can probably get good enough in your region to place top 3

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Only 2 well-known traveling Jiggs players

Consistently winning every tournament the last 2 years until only losing one recently.

Am I the only one who sees a problem with that?

Beat!

Smash Master
Oh, you mean like when Ken and M2K dominated the metagame with Marth for several years?

Clearly the only possible explanation is that the character is broken.

Clearly.

Puff isn't broken, and she requires extremely good execution at top level, just like the other chars. Deal with it.

Edit: Just realized that I might've skimmed S2J's post too fast. Are you saying that Puff doesn't take that much execution skill after all? If that's what you're saying then I guess I'll take your word for it lol.

:phone:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom