• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Camp With Yoshi

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
So I've looked through some of the guides on the Yoshi boards and haven't found one about how to camp with him, so I've decided to make my own. This isn't a full length guide on how to play Yoshi, but more of a guide on a certain aspect of Yoshi's game. Yoshi's ability to camp has been a bit of a gray spot among some of the Yoshi's opinions, so here as a place to get all the discussion about the topic in one place.

And now, I present:

How to camp with Yoshi

Many people say that Yoshi can’t camp. They say that eggs are a terrible projectile. I happen to disagree with both. Yoshi can indeed camp, and eggs are indeed a good projectile. They may not be good through conventional uses, but they are incredibly useful.

Camping is generally used to force approaches. In order to do this, the camper will usually use his projectiles to force the opponent to approach. Many characters that do camp, camp in similar ways, which is generally to use their projectile(s) to force the opponent to approach, and then punish their approach with a good punisher. For example, Snake uses his grenades and all of their techs to cause you to approach, where he can punish with his (broken) range.

Now for Yoshi, the same principles apply. You use his eggs to force the opponent to approach. However, eggs are laggy and punishable. So this must mean that eggs are a bad projectile, so this carries on meaning that Yoshi can’t camp. Eggs are easily powershielded, and the opponent can simply powershield them and walk forward, then repeat. You’ll run out of space to throw eggs and get punished eventually. This is all true, if you’re doing it wrong.

Eggs are quite versatile. You can throw them in many different angles and distances, allowing you to cover a lot of area with them. The Yoshi back in the earlier example was merely throwing the eggs directly at the opponent for this to occur. What if he lobbed it softly in front of the opponent? What if he threw the eggs into the air above and in front of the opponent, preventing him from powershielding or going to the air, as well as allowing splash damage to keep him at bay? What if he mixed all his options up to keep the opponent guessing?

In other words, eggs can be used to camp effectively in this manner. However, the opponent will still get in eventually, the eggs won’t stop them forever. Depending on how you threw the eggs, though, you’ve forced your opponent into a spot and limited his options. You could have forced your opponent into the air, or kept him grounded, all depending on how you adjusted your egg tosses. The opposing character now has limited options depending on how you placed them. If you’ve forced the opponent into the air, you can use an usmash to punish an attack, or pivot grab their approach or landing. You can use an aerial to punish. You can simply run under them to the other side and continue your egg onslaught. If you’ve placed them to the ground, you can read their approaches and punish, though it is much more useful to keep your opponent in the air, above you, which is a disadvantaged position in Brawl.

So now you’ve forced the opponent to approach and know how to punish. During all this however, you don’t need to be continuously throwing eggs. You’ve already presented the threat of being egged to the opponent. He’s already going to approach you. Now you can read the approach and punish it without the lag of an egg toss to worry about. You can stand still. You can move forward a bit. Move backwards a bit. Empty SH. SH an aerial. This presents your options into the opponent’s mind, and he has to be aware of all the tools you have to use. If the opponent stops approaching, just throw another egg at him, just make sure to do it precisely.

Yoshi’s camp game serves the same purpose as many other character’s camp games. It’s the methods with which he does it that cause it to not seem as effective. Rather than using the actual projectiles to force the opponent into a position, you use the threat of the projectile and your other options to force your opponent into a situation, and then punishing their actions. After punishing, you can use the momentum to go into an offensive attack, and then resetting back to the camping position when you’ve lost your momentum.

Comments? Questions? Walls o' text?

Metatitan

Smash Master
Isn't this just an extended version of my single post I made about camping? Yoshi can camp but he isn't very good at it. True they are versatile with angles and ETS, BUT the end lag means that they are easy to punish. Yoshi's camp game has more to do with his pivot grabs, and even then there's a big *** blind spot. The two yoshies who know most about using his eggs are Bwett and Green Ace and I feel they should inform of all of egg's uses. I probably know a lot about getting past eggs, I can already think of most situations to avoid eggs as peach. If I'm on the ground, turnip OoS or dash attack OoS. Floating, drop down, PS, and dash attack OoS.

The fact of the matter is unless you use eggs really wisely, they're a pretty risky projectile to use on someone who knows how to get past them. Yoshi's camp game sucks ***.

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Isn't this just an extended version of my single post I made about camping? Yoshi can camp but he isn't very good at it. True they are versatile with angles and ETS, BUT the end lag means that they are easy to punish. Yoshi's camp game has more to do with his pivot grabs, and even then there's a big *** blind spot. The two yoshies who know most about using his eggs are Bwett and Green Ace and I feel they should inform of all of egg's uses. I probably know a lot about getting past eggs, I can already think of most situations to avoid eggs as peach. If I'm on the ground, turnip OoS or dash attack OoS. Floating, drop down, PS, and dash attack OoS.

The fact of the matter is unless you use eggs really wisely, they're a pretty risky projectile to use on someone who knows how to get past them. Yoshi's camp game sucks ***.
They're not risky if you use them right. If you use an egg when they're across the stage from you, the worst that happens is they get closer and a little time goes by.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Depends on the stage, and I seriously doubt an opponent without projectiles will let himself in that position often aside from stocks lost or the start of a match. Besides, a lot of characters outcamp yoshi. From my experience peach's camp game doesn't exactly outcamp him but kind've forces him to stop using eggs a lot.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I don't remember seeing your post anywhere. Albeit I didn't search too hard for a single post. I also don't think we should only rely on two people's opinions on a topic for everything. While everyone does not have the same credibility, whether it be through skill or experience, I feel that the majority of opinions should be taken into account.

I disagree about his camp game being more about pivot grabs. It's just a part of his camp game. You can't force someone to approach through pivot grabs. It's just a method of punishing. Running usmash is a method of punishing. Bair is a method of punishing. It all depends on your needs at the time.

For your Peach example, what you're thinking about is me simply camping you with eggs, which I'm not. You're also assuming I'm throwing everything to be at a powershield-able level, which I won't be doing.

Yoshi's camp game varies depending on the character you're facing off against. If a Peach has a turnip in her hand, I won't throw an egg until she begins to float, and even then it depends on how far away she is since I don't want to be approached by a glide toss. I'll generally aim in front of her to prevent being punished. If she's floating I may throw it more directly since it's a relatively more vulnerable spot for Peach to be in when dealing with eggs. If you try to retreat a Fair, I can just egg you. This causes something like conditioning. Next time you retreat a Fair, you have to think about being hit by an egg. If you keep moving forward, I can jump away and come back and bair you.

It's just a single example, I'm not trying to make it sound like it's easy. Yoshi's camping just involves a lot more options than most other characters', which means if you try to camp with him traditionally it won't work.

Edit: Seems I've been ninja'd. This is a response to Meta's first post. =P

Metatitan

Smash Master
Actually I forgot burntsocks too. Let me put this blatantly: NONE OF YOU HOLDS ANY WATER COMPARED TO THEM. I say you and not us because I don't use yoshi anymore. They really are much much much better than all of you :D! So yes their opinions matter more, that doesn't mean you aren't entitled to your own though.

If you're far away do you really think I'll be stupid enough to just Fair? Unless it's for spacing purposes, Fair doesn't have much (or any at that) landing lag so I can just perfect shield your egg. And guess what! Peach can do floating aerials with a turnip in hand, or just z drop recatch them :D! Eggs really are bad, but most of yoshi's moveset is bad. They're good to force positions or airdodges when people are in the air or force people you outrange to approach. That doesn't mean I won't get hit by your normal camp, of course I will, people make mistakes. But I'll also be hitting you with so many more turnips than me getting hit by eggs that it doesn't matter!

Not to mention projectileless characters don't have too much trouble getting past eggs and grabs offline. Hell if I can get past it online with jigglypuff any character should get past it offline except mabey ganondorf....

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Actually I forgot burntsocks too. Let me put this blatantly: NONE OF YOU HOLDS ANY WATER COMPARED TO THEM. I say you and not us because I don't use yoshi anymore. They really are much much much better than all of you :D! So yes their opinions matter more, that doesn't mean you aren't entitled to your own though.
I understand that their opinions hold more weight than mine. But that doesn't mean that they're always right. Either way, I'd prefer you not compare my opinion to theirs and just take my points on as if the had no strings attached.

If you're far away do you really think I'll be stupid enough to just Fair? Unless it's for spacing purposes, Fair doesn't have much (or any at that) landing lag so I can just perfect shield your egg.
I'm not saying you're going to just Fair from the opposite end of FD. >_>'' I'm assuming both players are playing at an intelligent level of play for their character, and I'm not going to try and make one player better than the other in my examples.

I had actually meant that Peach's use Low Floating Retreating Fairs to space, with everything you said. It'll generally by spaced like that at mid range, where eggs have a large variety of angles and places to throw them at. I can lob an egg in front of you so you'll have to retreat further or get hit or shield. It's good pressure which forces you into less favorable positions.

And guess what! Peach can do floating aerials with a turnip in hand, or just z drop recatch them :D! Eggs really are bad, but most of yoshi's moveset is bad. They're good to force positions or airdodges when people are in the air or force people you outrange to approach. That doesn't mean I won't get hit by your normal camp, of course I will, people make mistakes. But I'll also be hitting you with so many more turnips than me getting hit by eggs that it doesn't matter!
I knew about those turnip tricks. =P

I disagree about Yoshi's moveset being as bad as you say, but that's not the point of my argument. =D

Assuming we're trading turnips and Eggs, I don't think this will happen if the Yoshi is playing correctly. I'm not saying he won't mess up and never get hit by a turnip, but it won't happen as much as you think it will. If by normal camping you mean long range egg spam, I'm pretty sure turnips don't reach that far. They don't really get thrown too far.

Not to mention projectileless characters don't have too much trouble getting past eggs and grabs offline. Hell if I can get past it online with jigglypuff any character should get past it offline except mabey ganondorf....
But you see, that's just the point. They have to get past it. Putting them into an unfavorable position. Allowing Yoshi to punish or retreat and return to camping.

I don't think Yoshis should egg with the intention of it hitting, but with the intention of producing set ups. The point of the wall is to allow you to get through it so we can punish what you used to get through.

Metatitan

Smash Master
The main problem with your theorycrafting involves a big blindspot yoshi has right on his nose. Bair has like no priority so that wont work to cover it and up smash has some nasty end lag. Yoshi's camp game sometimes is like a game of russian roulette, it can be good or bad for either person. People who know how to capitalize on yoshi's blindspot will easily get past his camp and be in a favorable position. People who don't will have trouble. You probably play people who don't know how to abuse that spot because they probably don't know about it considering you think yoshi's camp game is so good.

D

Deleted member

Delta, what you dont understand is that many players can play games of reaction. Whether you throw it at him or above him, all he has to do is walk foward, wait for the egg, and powershield.

Obviously, they wont powershield every one, and yoshi's eggs can be good for forcing approaches sometimes, especailly against certain characters like D3 , but its not reliable offline too much.

CHaracters with slow walks and runs,, and/or no quick foward punishers give eggs greater usage. Lucario doesnt necesarrily get outcamped, but eggs are very important, as his ground approach is lackluster, hes slow on the ground, and hes floaty in the air.
D3 gets outcamped all together, and we need to camp whenever we have the opening.

Kirby doesnt get camped very well, but well placed eggs are good at limiting approaches when used sparingly.

Eggs are good against snake far away.
Anyone with good airspeed can just SHAD and punsih you, unless ur far away.

Edit: Eggs suck against peach unless she is in the air at far-mid range and not in a position to fair you. She can just glide toss on the ground if u try to egg her.

uhhh eggs are really good when u like wavebounce RDJC them :p

Bwett

Smash Ace
Yoshi can have a good camp game as long as you do it properly and understand Yoshi's priority in moves over other characters. You need to know how fast moves come out, what moves beat what, and the spacing needed for eggs to not be punished if each move comes out.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=143857

Look at my section on Defense. I consider it the building block for effective camping and can easily switch to an offensive game if they catch on. Good thread lil'b.

D

Deleted member

Yoshi can have a good camp game as long as you do it properly and understand Yoshi's priority in moves over other characters. You need to know how fast moves come out, what moves beat what, and the spacing needed for eggs to not be punished if each move comes out.

Look at my section on Defense. I consider it the building block for effective camping and can easily switch to an offensive game if they catch on. Good thread lil'b.
Excuse me?
xD

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I KNEW SOMEONE WOULD MENTION BWETT'S GUIDES WHEN I SAW HIM POST

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFL

Bwett

Smash Ace
Crap...sigh...I suppose I'll have to get on the offensive one at some point lol

Maybe I'll create a video guide to all the different follow-ups you could do, I dunno. Lemme think it over.

ALSO, whoops! Sorry, I just always think of lil'b when I see that avatar. Sorry delta! =D

hadesblade

Smash Lord
Wonder if you realize who posted right before you too...

And poor delta at how fast we got off topic lol

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
The main problem with your theorycrafting involves a big blindspot yoshi has right on his nose. Bair has like no priority so that wont work to cover it and up smash has some nasty end lag. Yoshi's camp game sometimes is like a game of russian roulette, it can be good or bad for either person. People who know how to capitalize on yoshi's blindspot will easily get past his camp and be in a favorable position. People who don't will have trouble. You probably play people who don't know how to abuse that spot because they probably don't know about it considering you think yoshi's camp game is so good.
I'm actually not theorycrafting here, and speaking from my actual experience. =P The blindspot is a weakness, but if you're using all Yoshi's camping tools effectively, you can get around it without too large a problem. Actually, most of the tools solve the blindspot. Usmash, Bair, Eggs. Pivot Grab is still open, however.

Delta, what you dont understand is that many players can play games of reaction. Whether you throw it at him or above him, all he has to do is walk foward, wait for the egg, and powershield.

Obviously, they wont powershield every one, and yoshi's eggs can be good for forcing approaches sometimes, especailly against certain characters like D3 , but its not reliable offline too much.
It's true, anyone can play a game of reaction. However, by camping effectively, they're playing a more risky reaction game. Eggs are a lot less useful damage-wise offline, but they can still serve the same purpose offline. I think it actually helps your defensive reactions more than it helps the one approaching, actually.

CHaracters with slow walks and runs,, and/or no quick foward punishers give eggs greater usage. Lucario doesnt necesarrily get outcamped, but eggs are very important, as his ground approach is lackluster, hes slow on the ground, and hes floaty in the air.
D3 gets outcamped all together, and we need to camp whenever we have the opening.

Kirby doesnt get camped very well, but well placed eggs are good at limiting approaches when used sparingly.

Eggs are good against snake far away.
Anyone with good airspeed can just SHAD and punsih you, unless ur far away.
Truth.

Edit: Eggs suck against peach unless she is in the air at far-mid range and not in a position to fair you. She can just glide toss on the ground if u try to egg her.
This is why you camp Peach a differently than someone without those options. It's weird to explain, but it relies a lot more on Yoshi's other options than just his eggs. The eggs are to be used more sparingly in this case.

uhhh eggs are really good when u like wavebounce RDJC them :p
What? XD

LOL!

Nice simple guide you got here Delta. And a guide for offense Yoshi would be lovely too.
Crap...sigh...I suppose I'll have to get on the offensive one at some point lol

Maybe I'll create a video guide to all the different follow-ups you could do, I dunno. Lemme think it over.

ALSO, whoops! Sorry, I just always think of lil'b when I see that avatar. Sorry delta! =D
OMFG THE YOSHI GOD SAID MY NAME

meatride x 238942189389321379837289189321789389892

anyways good thread Delta
Thanks. =D

Metatitan

Smash Master
Lol have you played a peach that knows how to get past yoshi camp? Dark's good but from what I heard he doesn't have yoshi experience.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I can honestly say that no, I haven't. So I'm merely speaking from experience vs. him. I'd be more than happy to play your Peach offline if there's a chance. =D Otherwise I'll just play massive friendlies against some other Peach. =/

Metatitan

Smash Master
I can honestly say that no, I haven't. So I'm merely speaking from experience vs. him. I'd be more than happy to play your Peach offline if there's a chance. =D Otherwise I'll just play massive friendlies against some other Peach. =/
If I can make it to pound 4 sure. Chances aren't good though :<

mars16

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5429-8906-2115
The Eggs are good projectile because it forces the enemy to approach, I like that.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Lol have you played a peach that knows how to get past yoshi camp? Dark's good but from what I heard he doesn't have yoshi experience.
I have, back when Kei (many reguarded him as the best peach in florida) used to play I played him all the time. If the peach knows the matchup eggs only work once you get peach is a good distance above you, even then I only get to use eggs for baiting an airdodge. I rarely camp besides giving people "gay yoshi" training though.

Metatitan

Smash Master
Let me put this blatantly.

If jigglypuff can get past yoshi camp without too much trouble, then his camp game really is terrible.

D

Deleted member

Jiggs has really good airspeed, a good SHAD, and a monsterous grab to punish stuff.

So camping sucks vs her.
Well conventional camping anyways.

pwiito

Banned via Warnings
Camp should only be used for specific matchups-situations, If u just try to always camp, ppl are going outcamp u easily or just powershield every egg u throw at them lol. and wait for u then U'll be like: -_- this is not working u'll try to approach and bam, u got punished

Shiri

Smash Chump
Camp should only be used for specific matchups-situations, If u just try to always camp, ppl are going outcamp u easily or just powershield every egg u throw at them lol. and wait for u then U'll be like: -_- this is not working u'll try to approach and bam, u got punished
:yoshi: Hi! Can we be friends? :D

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
I don't recall saying you could camp everyone. I doubt anyone thinks that. @_@

I think the general consensus is that camping with Yoshi varies from character to character, and should (not) be used depending on the MU.

Delta-cod

Smash Hero
NNID
Phikarp
Geez, you really do have to down everything ever. @_@

Yoshi can "camp" anyone without a projectile, pretty much, and then really only loses to those who outcamp everyone anyways. @_@

Dayzin

Smash Journeyman
Man this thread was helpful, nvr use to use his eggs but now i can c use for them now.

Bwett

Smash Ace
Yoshi can only "camp" a decent portion of the cast. For the rest of the characters, excluding those that have a better camp game (Snake, Falco, Fox), Yoshi can just make really good walls and guide the opponent a certain way of how he is going to approach you. You control his approaching options with usmash, pivot grab, and egg.

Top Bottom