• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with a guy who constantly rolls.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
like the title states, this thread is pretty self explainatory. I'm usually onthe offensive while my opponent usually rolls alot out the way and hit's me when I am on the attack lag. If i try to let him come to me, he outcamps me. how should I deal with this situation.

E.G.G.M.A.N.

Smash Journeyman
like the title states, this thread is pretty self explainatory. I'm usually onthe offensive while my opponent usually rolls alot out the way and hit's me when I am on the attack lag. If i try to let him come to me, he outcamps me. how should I deal with this situation.
Got anything more specific? What Characters? What Stages? In, general though, don't throw attacks out there if he's close enough to punish you, just approach him with shield/air dodge and try to pressure him into doing something that you can punish. Once you get close enough to punish his projectiles or whatever, he'll have to do something else or eat your attack. If he still persists once you're in range, perfect shield and nail him. note: attacks that can stay out and cover an area for an extended period like Bowser/Charizard's flamethower can punish someone who spams dodges by catching them in between. Herd the offending spammer over to the ledge for the best results.

ftl

Smash Journeyman
1) Predict the roll.
2) ??????
3) Profit.

(Seriously, though. If you know he's gonna roll, just be ready to punish it when it ends.)

Crystanium

Smash Hero
If you have projectile, spam it. Fire, fire, stop, fire again. Stop again, wait. Fire. Yeah. If you are Donkey Kong, use Hand Slap (Down+B) or d-smash. If you're any character with a d-smash that hits both ways, use it. If R.O.B., you know the rule. Spot-dodge to d-smash. If you have smash attacks that lag, use tilts instead.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
He mains Sheik, and uses fox for secondary. I didnt say sheik cuz I know alot of people would laugh themselves to death, as for me I revolve around Pokemon Trainer, Toon Link, and Marth.

I'm not saying I lose to him all the time, we are pretty evenly matched when it comes right down to it, but overall I lose due to my idiotic carelessness.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
He mains Sheik, and uses fox for secondary. I didnt say sheik cuz I know alot of people would laugh themselves to death, as for me I revolve around Pokemon Trainer, Toon Link, and Marth.

I'm not saying I lose to him all the time, we are pretty evenly matched when it comes right down to it, but overall I lose due to my idiotic carelessness.
Toon Link and Marth have a good d-smash. This can help you out. And yes, we all have our moments of playing stupid. It happens. Watch your opponent, not yourself.

Annhialator Zero

Smash Apprentice
Well if you use TL Spin Attack makes a good roll punish, Marth's kinda screwed (D-Smash hits the back so **** slow) and all of the Pokemon have punishing D-Smashes (Squirtle has his Up-Smash).

Try not to use laggy moves, any time you practice think all the time 'no laggy moves', it's much easier to change your gameplay if you make a conscious effort. Both TL and Marth have a bunch of quick moves that should be unpunishable so try to use them more.

D.mann

Smash Cadet
Your best bet is to predict where he rolls, if hes rolling away your could projectile him ( idk who you play) and if he rolls behind you you can always D-smash. Still your best bet is to stay focused and dont get upset when he rolls around, mind game him and punish him for his cations

Gea

Smash Master
I love getting close to roll spammers, turning around, and fsmashing so they roll into it.

Alternatively, with Peach I just float -> dair.

SothE700k

Smash Lord
One thing to do is just start rolling back and forth around him, taunting him. So all he sees is two people rolling around all the time, so he stops. Then mess with his head and start rolling endlessly around him, mocking his constant spamming then when you see a simple shot, hit him then continue screwing with his mind.

Its what I do, and sometimes I even learn that a simple "roll behind and smash him" ends up being the most effective strategy.

Villi

Smash Lord
Stay out of his roll range so that he can't roll behind you. If he rolls into you, punish. If he consistently rolls away chase him back as he rolls.

Pin him to a corner of the stage so that he can't escape you so that rolling becomes ineffective. Remember to keep enough distance so that he can't roll or jump around you and punish him when he does something laggy. I find that people either start falling apart when I do this or start getting aggressive.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
You stop trying to pull out bombs.
Moar Zair plz

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
if he rolls a lot, predict where he's going to go
he's most likely going to roll in a certain pattern and you'll get him to roll into one of your attacks

AL2DAX

Smash Apprentice
sorry if you already got your answer, thread starter but I've actually had this same exact problem. sheik's roll goes a lot further than Fox's and since most of her moves really have no lag, it's easier for her to "guerrilla" you(hit and run). Dsmash with fox is a bad idea mainly because of it's low range and end lag. Sheiks Dsmash range is quick and longer ranged than fox's. But like most people have been saying, try to predict the roll and actually shield grab her when you get the chance. If you're friend decides to mix it up, just adjust to it.

Affinity

Smash Hero
NNID
Affinity2412
Predict the roll, then punish.

It might also have to do with online delay. Try playing offline against someone who spams rolls and see if you can react fast enough.

Tenki

Smash Hero
See if there's a pattern to his dodges.

If you run at him, will he roll backwards? For some characters, it might be more natural to roll backwards/away from them. For others, it's generally better to roll forwards, and yet, for others, it may be better to just spotdodge.

If you think he's gonna roll backwards, then don't plan on attacking where you see him as you're running - plan to attack behind him

If you think he's gonna roll forwards, try a DPC (dash pivot cancel), or just run 'between' his roll length and starting point and turn around.

If you think he's gonna spotdodge, then try delaying your attack, or doing a run past + pivot grab.

Joxer

Smash Apprentice
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJej6kCgxVM
one of the most effective things that I have found that work against patient and campy opponents is to use non-laggy aerial approaches. That way, you can land out of grab range if they try to shield grab, and if they roll away, you can follow. Once you back them into a corner, pressure then downsmash if they try to roll past you

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Peach's dair leaves no prisoners.
Only corpses.
You win. =P
I can't top that.

I actually started using Peach because I was playing a Peach and got: Dair->Dair->Uair 'ed
Only once, mind you. But still, it was enough. "wtf.." was the only thing in my mind at that point.
I should get vids up for you guys to tell me how horrible I am with her. P=

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
You win. =P
I can't top that.

I actually started using Peach because I was playing a Peach and got: Dair->Dair->Uair 'ed
Only once, mind you. But still, it was enough. "wtf.." was the only thing in my mind at that point.
I should get vids up for you guys to tell me how horrible I am with her. P=
Dair Dair Uair is a pretty common combo actually. You should see the kind of stupid crap she can pull on the heavyweights.

I believe Dair > Dair > Dair > Uair > Utilt is a feasible combo (yes, combo, out of hitstun) on Dedede if he doesn't smash-DI well.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Punch him in the face and yell at him.

But seriously, just predict him. Fake him out, dmash, projectiles, anything. Spend some time experimenting with what works in friendly matches.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Well it depends a lot of where they are rolling. If they are rolling towards you, anticipate and punish it. If they are rolling away from you, depending on your character and your opponents character, you might be able to punish it but its likely that you wont be able to in most cases. You can of course push them to the edge if they are rolling away from you which is not a favorable situation for most characters to be in.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
As a G&W main, people quickly learn not to spam rolls against me. Short hop bair absolutely ***** rolling spam due to range(allows you to be very imprecise with spacing) and quickness(plus it autocancels!). I'd imagine other characters have moves with similar properties that would probably work well. Ness and his nair come to mind.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Spam rolling is only great on wifi. It's like the invincible lagless wavedash Brawl was looking for. Except it only works on wifi.

Marth punishes rollers with dancing blade... Believe it.

Top Bottom