• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with camper/staller

ellord

Smash Apprentice
Brawl was know for his camping/stall/defensive style play. I don't want to give up already smash 4 so i try a way to deal with them. I played a lot in glory mod and I main marth. I don't know how to deal with some player, that just spam projectile and stall the whole match. With Marth I know 2 way to approach them without platform, i come from areal or i walk in doing perfect shield. They know if i approach by areal i'm forced to attack with an areal, so they shield, then if my spacing/fall back areal (areal in the opposite direction we go, which is hard without c-stick) isn't perfect, they shield then grab me. If i lighly miss them with my blade, they wait my landing to attack me (There is a delay everytime i land before beeing able to do a move) Marth has too much ending lag to be able to jump again unlike brawl. If my spacing is perfect, then they just shield and run all accros the stage. If i use the 2nd option to walk + perfect shield, they just avoid the fight and take distance once im too close, some character like greninja become invisible when they roll so i have to anticipate where he go. This is so long and the award/risk isn't fair. How do I win? I just edge stall the or idle stage with perfect shield on every projectile the whole match and win in sudden dead in dodging bomb. This is so anti-game doing such thing. My other solution is to play fox, because he has a reflector, but I'm bored to play him everytime.

Last edited:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I'm the guy that sits there and throws needles the whole game.. but it is far from impenetrable. There are a lot of characters with powerful projectiles, the links, and characters with good ground speed that can and have gotten through it or force me to stop.

I love demoralizing players (in game) and making them give up because it makes them that much easier to beat. What you have to do is fight that urge to quit and instead decide there HAS to be a way to beat this. If one thing doesn't work try another and continue that process eventually you'll find a way to beat it.

Another plus with smash is different stages. Was playing with my buddy and we landed on Totimer Island. That stage (at least based on my inital impressions) sucks for sheik. Needles don't work well and the huge blast zones (like they are actually big in this level) magnify her issue killing. The trees and their fruit force me to approach, if I don't my opponent gets to heal for free. SO stages are going to help a lot too even if you can't use them in for glory.

ellord

Smash Apprentice
Link isn't a problem, because every projectile give him a ending lag and his run and roll speed is slow. So i can attack him at this moment and he can't avoid fight.

So in otherword, u're not giving any solutions, you just say try harder. I don't need encouragement, i need you tell me something i could do other than beeing defensive and stall the whole match. I know i have good perfect shield and if I want to play like a ***** i could just idle and playing defensively as ****. It work against those spammer because they are just not good beside spamming. But I don't want to answer to anti-game with anti-game. This is just boring to do nothing for 5 minutes then dodge all in sudden dead. I don't say I loose, no I still win. My post was for looking an solution other than anti-game.

Last edited:

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
That's For Glory mode for you. Playing exclusively on flat stages invalidates a lot of characters who don't have projectiles, especially if you're playing against a campy opponent. I'm a DK main, a character with great punishes but weak approach options, and FD is the worst possible stage for him.

Gea

Smash Master
The real problem is that it's on FD in For Glory and the massive amount of WIFI buffering makes really base strategies stupid. I wouldn't even worry about it. You aren't going to consistently shut down roll and projectile spam on WIFI. Either pick a character that has the tools to minimize your frustrations or don't play the mode.

ellord

Smash Apprentice
Yeah finnaly someone agree with me. I say a balanced stage need at least 1 platform like villager map in brawl while people at my school say the opposite.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
how do you deal with rosalina? seriously that luma is annoying then she has attacks of her own to go with it.

TheKazin

Smash Rookie
What has worked for me against Rosalina is fighting her similarly to how you would fight Ice Climbers in Melee. You can split them up and easily kill the Luma, which gives you a good period of time to fight Rosalina alone.

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
What has worked for me against Rosalina is fighting her similarly to how you would fight Ice Climbers in Melee. You can split them up and easily kill the Luma, which gives you a good period of time to fight Rosalina alone.
i keep relentlessly attacking it and it doesnt seem to die

Last edited:

Wasserwipf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
wasserwipf
3DS FC
2809-9876-8323
You play Marth yes?
Approaching from the air should be easy. Theyre shielding, waiting for an aerial? Dont do it. Land, then grab them. That shoud work. However, you should variate a bit from time to time, NAir is good to catch rollers btw.
Approaching from the ground... you say, youre able to get close to them? So get close, then spam Down-Smash. This works wonders against running and rolling characters.
And the last, "ultimate" marth trick, that works both from the air and ground... Down-B. Especially against not so good enemies and projectiles, counter is godlike.

Ok, tbh, there are some charakters I too can't figure out how to play against, like B spamming lucarios rolling all daisy. Once they are damaged, they'll wreck you. if I'm up against such a Lucario, i usually just quit the game. Theres no point in it (since its incerdibly hard to catch them with the online laag, sometimes...)

ellord

Smash Apprentice
You play Marth yes?
Approaching from the air should be easy. Theyre shielding, waiting for an aerial? Dont do it. Land, then grab them. That shoud work. However, you should variate a bit from time to time, NAir is good to catch rollers btw.
Approaching from the ground... you say, youre able to get close to them? So get close, then spam Down-Smash. This works wonders against running and rolling characters.
And the last, "ultimate" marth trick, that works both from the air and ground... Down-B. Especially against not so good enemies and projectiles, counter is godlike.

Ok, tbh, there are some charakters I too can't figure out how to play against, like B spamming lucarios rolling all daisy. Once they are damaged, they'll wreck you. if I'm up against such a Lucario, i usually just quit the game. Theres no point in it (since its incerdibly hard to catch them with the online laag, sometimes...)
There is a lag i can't avoid when im landing from air, they will just attack me at this moment.

Once I get close i have 1/2 to catch greninja because he become invisible when he roll. I have to perfect shield a lot of projectile and if my guess is wrong he punish me if i use down A (i usually do dash A or dash grab to not get punished). The award/risk isn't fair at all.

They are bad, but even if they are bad, if they just wait u to make the 1st move, counter doesn't work very well. And with lag... i can't count on my reactivity, same for dolphin slash. I can rush down like im used with marth and most of my combo work, but lag stll isn't good enough for counter and dolphin slash.

I usually quit when i meet these kind of player. They are not all extreme hard trier, but many are a bit. I mean, a match should never take 5 minutes if they play fair.

Last edited:

Whatthefluff

Smash Rookie
There's always a way to beat noobs with annoying strategies easily. Figure it out. Not everyone gets these people all the time. I rarely get one myself. I'm not gonna search out one of these people, learn how to beat them with your character, and then teach you how to do it. If you're good enough, you can do it. If not, then quit and go do something else. In this case, complaining is only useful to make you realize that you have to do something about it.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Link isn't a problem, because every projectile give him a ending lag and his run and roll speed is slow. So i can attack him at this moment and he can't avoid fight.

So in otherword, u're not giving any solutions, you just say try harder. I don't need encouragement, i need you tell me something i could do other than beeing defensive and stall the whole match. I know i have good perfect shield and if I want to play like a ***** i could just idle and playing defensively as ****. It work against those spammer because they are just not good beside spamming. But I don't want to answer to anti-game with anti-game. This is just boring to do nothing for 5 minutes then dodge all in sudden dead. I don't say I loose, no I still win. My post was for looking an solution other than anti-game.
Sorry I meant link can literally walk forward and beat 90 percent of projectile spammers projectile spam.
Reflector characters ,ake projectile spammers have to think before they spam
characters like lil mac, sonic, falcon can dash in and shield and then punish projectiles
Characters like peach jiggs and kirby can approach from the air.

Every character can answer projectile spam you have to get creative. If you want get me on skype (search lessthanpi) and I'll walk you through it.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
i keep relentlessly attacking it and it doesnt seem to die
Luma has about 50 HP or so.

Alternately, you can simply knock it offstage. When Luma is hit it enters a helpless tumble state from which it cannot recover until it lands on a surface. If it gets hit over a pit, it's a death sentence.

ellord

Smash Apprentice
Sorry I meant link can literally walk forward and beat 90 percent of projectile spammers projectile spam.
Reflector characters ,ake projectile spammers have to think before they spam
characters like lil mac, sonic, falcon can dash in and shield and then punish projectiles
Characters like peach jiggs and kirby can approach from the air.

Every character can answer projectile spam you have to get creative. If you want get me on skype (search lessthanpi) and I'll walk you through it.
And what I do with marth vs greninja on a flat stage? Once I approach he just shield my areal (never take the risk to hit) and once i touch the ground, they use the landing lag to attack me. If i'm too far for their attack the moment i land, it mean i'm not close enough to avoid projectile spam.

Link isn't a problem at all, because he doesn't have the speed to avoid the fight and the ending lag to spam projectile then shield fast.

Last edited:

ellord

Smash Apprentice
There's always a way to beat noobs with annoying strategies easily. Figure it out. Not everyone gets these people all the time. I rarely get one myself. I'm not gonna search out one of these people, learn how to beat them with your character, and then teach you how to do it. If you're good enough, you can do it. If not, then quit and go do something else. In this case, complaining is only useful to make you realize that you have to do something about it.
You guy aren't giving any solution. You just say try harder, easy to say. No i don't alway meet someone like that, but i usually meet at least someone that is extremely defensive that I can't alway finish the match under 5 minutes.

Last edited:

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
And what I do with marth vs greninja on a flat stage? Once I approach he just shield my areal (never take the risk to hit) and once i touch the ground, they use the landing lag to attack me. If i'm too far for their attack the moment i land, it mean i'm not close enough to avoid projectile spam.

Link isn't a problem at all, because he doesn't have the speed to avoid the fight and the ending lag to spam projectile then shield fast.
YOu can get me on skype and I'll answer whatever questions you want to the best of my ability I'll even show you want I mean in game if you need me to.

As marth in that situation you have a bunch of options
From the air
you can dancing blade 1 and stall your landing and then punish the baited air dodge with a second aerial
space with a tippered fair or nair (nair has less lag and similar range) this should e out side of his range.
You can do an empty jump where you just jump land and don't attack. you land with very low lag like 4 frames or something? from there you can grab him before he grabs you or jab or dtilt depending on spacing and your best guess.
You can counter if you expect him to attack you before or as you land.

From the ground you can dash towards him. Marth has decent ground speed you should be able to get in inbetween his water shurikens and apply presure.
stand just outside of his attack range and bait a reaction.
If you have the lead make him come to you, you don't need to approach.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
You guy aren't giving any solution. You just say try harder, easy to say. No i don't alway meet someone like that, but i usually meet at least someone that is extremely defensive that I can't alway finish the match under 5 minutes.
You need to pick a different character if you're doing FG. There isn't solution other than that. Fox is okay and Shiek is good if you want to play as Melee characters, but most characters without projectiles or something unique to their approach (ex Little Mac having super armor up the ass plus his speed and knockback and... Everything.) can't do FD with lag in a game that has a lot of viable projectile characters.

Rich Homie Quan

Smash Ace
All these 12 year old Toon Links that spam projectiles get destroyed by the spaces. Reflector + boxing game = win.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
You can also try crossing up their shield, landing behind them. If your timing is precise, you can do a footstool shorthop to break them out of the shield, maybe following with a dair or a nair depending on marth's footstool properties. You can also use your shield breaker (neutral B) to snap their shield in 2, since it got a huge buff.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Sortof. The thing to remember is that Luma is not Nana. Luma is gonna come back in a little bit, so Rosalina only needs to stall for a little. Also, Rosalina can handle herself pretty well regardless. I can't count the number of times someone has knocked away my Luma only for me to shrug and continue racking up damage on them because Luma is a luxury, not a necessity.

Yes, getting rid of Luma does help because it shuts down a major gimmick, gets rid of 2 specials, and basically nerfs all of Rosalina's attacks, but in the end RosaLuma is not Ice Climbers and Rosalina is not gonna die without her Luma the same way that Popo would die without Nana. At worst I just have to play defensively for a little while, and sometimes I don't even have to do that.

how do you deal with rosalina? seriously that luma is annoying then she has attacks of her own to go with it.
As a RosaLuma player myself, I'd say that my hardest matchups are against fast characters like ZSS. The constant pressure makes it so that I can't really set up anything special with my Luma, and many of my KO attacks are really slow. I have one fast KO move (Luma Launch) that works pretty well even uncharged, but if I whiff it I need to recall my Luma (or wait for it to respawn) before I can do it again. In fact I'd say that KOing is pretty much her biggest weakness. ROB and Yoshi also do well against me, mostly because it's hard for me to figure out when it's safe to attack them while they can attack all the time. Little Mac does well unless I can get him in the air somehow. I'd say that if you want to beat Rosalina, always apply pressure.

The reason why that matters is because Rosalina is a little on the slow side. I can still win if I can read my opponents but some are certainly hard to keep up with.

Another thing is that sometimes it's better to just ignore the Luma and go after Rosalina. That Luma Launch is chargable, but it can't be cancelled out of even by dodging. Once she starts it she has committed to firing it at some point. After she fires, there's plenty of time to jump over the incoming Luma and close the distance to Rosalina, and if she makes the mistake of recalling her Luma then you have enough time to punish her during the recovery lag. If she doesn't recall her Luma, then you can probably expect a down tilt because that's one of her best options against an incoming enemy.

As for the topic itself:

For projectile spammers, well... that really depends upon the type of projectile. Who's projectiles are you having trouble with? The answer to that really makes a difference. Robin can only spam for so long before s/he has to toss his/her book away. Lucario can be powerful when damaged, but really his projectile requires a long charge-up time to be strong. Most projectiles have some kind of drawback that you can exploit, if only you know how. I've yet to meet any opponent that I couldn't approach in some way.

My advice against projectile campers in general, you have 2 general options.
A) Jump over the spam and attack from the air. This can actually be a pretty good option if you catch them while they're charging or in the middle of some other kind of lag.
B) Roll around the spam and then counter whenever you're close enough. If you're close, the projectile will trigger the counter and the counter will hit the spammer. Yes rolling is punishable but only if the enemy is in a position to punish it. "At range and charging up the next projectile" is generally not that kind of position.

I'd also recommend swapping to Lucina, as she seems to be a fair bit more powerful in FG than Marth is. I've met some really good Lucinas, but Marth has overall been pretty weak in that format.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Camping is a lot less effective in this game partly because shields are a lot better than they were in past games. People aren't using their shields enough. They're really powerful as an approach option in this game, especially versus projectiles. DHD is comically easy to approach with Falcon using a shield since he slides so far when shielding.

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
On the subject of DHD, you can knock his TNT back into him for about 11% damage. I see DHDs setting that up like some kind of defensive shield (like Diddy's bananas) but really it can be used against them pretty effectively.

ellord

Smash Apprentice
I have a problem in the matchup greninja vs marth. No i can't land a nair, dair or shield breaker or counter because he just avoid the fight, they doesn't take any risk. They will just attack me if i land something 1st then use the ending lag to attack me. Sometime they shield then grab but only when they know i cannot grab or cannot charge shield breaker. greninja run and roll faster. Rolling doesn't work, the rolling is too long for the spacing between every projectile and they may just unsych them, this is easy because my roll is slow. I just place sometime a pivot grab when they are stuck in the side of the match, but i have to avoid 100 projectile and not miss my spacing, the award/risk isn't fair. The match just end in a sudden dead everytime! I know i can play fox but i can't alway guess what my opponent is going.

Please stop making me repeat. Read the 1st post. If the character has a long ending lag after each projectile i can deal with it, same if he is slower than marth and can't avoid the fight. So it mean this doesn't apply on link, samus, robin...

Last edited:

ellord

Smash Apprentice
Camping is a lot less effective in this game partly because shields are a lot better than they were in past games. People aren't using their shields enough. They're really powerful as an approach option in this game, especially versus projectiles. DHD is comically easy to approach with Falcon using a shield since he slides so far when shielding.
This is the problem, because shielding is a lot better, it give good defensive option to camper.

Lord P Wallington

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-5453-3611
I have a problem in the matchup greninja vs marth. No i can't land a nair, dair or shield breaker or counter because he just avoid the fight, they doesn't take any risk. They will just attack me if i land something 1st then use the ending lag to attack me. Sometime they shield then grab but only when they know i cannot grab or cannot charge shield breaker. greninja run and roll faster. I just place sometime a pivot grab when they are stuck in the side of the match, but i have to avoid 100 projectile and not miss my spacing, the award/risk isn't fair. The match just end in a sudden dead everytime! I know i can play fox but i can't alway guess what my opponent is going.

Please stop making me repeat. Read the 1st post. If the character has a long ending lag after each projectile i can deal with it, same if he is slower than marth and can't avoid the fight. So it mean this doesn't apply on link, samus, robin...

Im guessing that he's spamming shurikens. Just keep shielding them and watch for his side b's shadow. He will get fed up eventually and attack. That's when you punish him. After the match, just leave.

ellord

Smash Apprentice
Im guessing that he's spamming shurikens. Just keep shielding them and watch for his side b's shadow. He will get fed up eventually and attack. That's when you punish him. After the match, just leave.
I said he doesn't take any risk, he won't side B. If i use perfect shield approach, i have to block many projectile then get 1/2 to touch greninja because his roll is super fast and invisible. I'm not a TAS, I need a limited award/risk. This is not worth if i have to dodge 20 projectile to place 1 grab. Don't forget i have to finish under 5 minutes.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I haven't met a single good Greninja since I got the game last Friday. I realize that's not a huge sample size but still. I kinda wish I could see what everyone else is talking about.

Or maybe it's just that these Greninja projectile spammers don't have any real game once you get past their spamming.

I don't think you need to worry that your opponent will perfectly read you every time you approach. Some will be able to do that, but many wont.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
There is no one-size-fits-all unfortunately. We have listed tools. Its up to you to mix up these tools in the match, catching him making a wrong answer to your choice.

You didn't acknowledge the crossup or the footstool, but that's ok cause there are answers to those as well. Mix em up.

If all else fails, switch characters. It sounds like it could be a bad matchup.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
Yes, this is very annoying. Link, DHD, Samus, etc, are all like this. But that's how match-ups work, you have to learn them and find where you can excel.

ellord

Smash Apprentice
I haven't met a single good Greninja since I got the game last Friday. I realize that's not a huge sample size but still. I kinda wish I could see what everyone else is talking about.

Or maybe it's just that these Greninja projectile spammers don't have any real game once you get past their spamming.

I don't think you need to worry that your opponent will perfectly read you every time you approach. Some will be able to do that, but many wont.
He doesn't read me at all, he just give me a limited option. If i approach by air, he knows I can't grab and when ill land on grab, there is a delay he can use to attack me (this delay seem longer for me than brawl).

I tried all tools and everything i can do is with marth : win in sudden dead and with fox : easly 2 stock them because i have a reflector and they are bad at fightning without projectile -_-. But the goal of my post is to find a solution, i don't want marth end like the matchup pikachu vs fox in brawl.

Lord P Wallington

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-5453-3611
I said he doesn't take any risk, he won't side B. If i use perfect shield approach, i have to block many projectile then get 1/2 to touch greninja because his roll is super fast and invisible. I'm not a TAS, I need a limited award/risk. This is not worth if i have to dodge 20 projectile to place 1 grab. Don't forget i have to finish under 5 minutes.
you could always try and hop over his shurikens and Fair, but he will probably roll away. There is lag after rolls I'm pretty sure.

Last edited:

ellord

Smash Apprentice
Yes, this is very annoying. Link, DHD, Samus, etc, are all like this. But that's how match-ups work, you have to learn them and find where you can excel.
I said there is absolutely no problem with link dhd and samus -_-, having projectile isn't a problem, it's the combinaison of projectile + very high speed.

ellord

Smash Apprentice
you could always try and hop over his shurikens and Fair, but he will probably roll away. There is lag after rolls I'm pretty sure.
The lag is shorter than brawl, i have to dash at the same time he roll. but his role give him invisibility and is like 3x my rolling speed. I have to make a guess when he does, but if i miss he punish me so i have 1/2 to catch him and 1/2 to get punished.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
What did you not understand in :

"I said there is absolutely no problem with link dhd and samus -_-, having projectile isn't a problem, it's the combinaison of projectile + very high speed."

You really think link and samus fast? They are slow for me.
I think he thought you were referring to the projectiles being fast, not the character.

Colin Steele

Smash Apprentice
What did you not understand in :

"I said there is absolutely no problem with link dhd and samus -_-, having projectile isn't a problem, it's the combinaison of projectile + very high speed."

You really think link and samus fast? They are slow for me.
Look dude, we're all just trying to give you some of the advice you're looking for, and you're getting all pissy. If you really want my opinion you should just not main Marth because he doesn't excel against you're dreaded speedy projectile characters, and that seems to be a big weakness you have. I body Marths all the time as Sheik because of needles and good punish grab combos.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
Imo this game is looking like a match-up based game, though it's too early to tell. We might be looking at Rock Paper Scissors Bros.

Aside from what we've said earlier, there really isn't much else you can do. I've had similar issues when playing as Shulk, though I can overcome those issues by turning on Speed form and not letting them get far enough away to spam safely. At that point, the tools listed above for attacking a waiting opponent apply, since neither Shulk nor Marth have any tools to force their opponents to approach.

Other than that, all I can say is godspeed. It's definitely not a matchup that is Brawl Pika vs Fox broken, but it's an uphill battle for sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom