• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with jabs / frame locks?

Bowgamer

Smash Rookie
I try playing Diddy Kong against my friends who play rosalina and luigi and even falcon but when they start jabbing all over the place I can't seem to get in after an aerial. What does Diddy do against this? As soon as I land a fair or Bair, it is immediately punished upon same goes if I'm shielding and they use an aerial and I try to punish. I guess you can say tilts are good out of shield but I usually am out ranged or already getting jabbed. Does this happen to anyone else?

MoosyDoosy

Smash Ace
If you're getting jabbed, DI out and try to shield it.
If your friend is shield -> Jab, you don't necessarily need to approach with an aerial. use your Monkey Flip to grab them, do a grab, or just space your Fair well.
As a btw, Diddy's jab is trash so Dtilt is a much better choice if you're trying to poke.

Overall seems like a mix-up problem where you're becoming too predictable with your moves. Try and mix things up more. Diddy doesn't necessarily need techs to do well, it's more about mind games with him.

Lex Jewthor

Smash Apprentice
For the multihit jabs, DI down and try to immediately roll out (behind if they're multihit jab) and punish. For single jabs and frame traps, try to smash DI down and roll out as well. Against Luigi, choose the option that leads to him not getting a grab, preferably.

If you land an aerial, you don't NEED to follow up. This isn't melee, getting single hits in neutral is fine. If you space a back air and knock them away, use it to get into a good position outside of their options, or get a banana out, or set a frame trap with monkey flip. If you get a knock down, one thing you can do is run up and Shield to cover get up attack and spot get up, and monkey flip to punish rolls if you're fast enough.

If they are aerialing your shield, upsmash out of shield is great, and has great range IN FRONT of Diddy. But you also have the single best option out of shield as Diddy. Keep a Banana in hand. Banana lets you instantly punish any aerial regardless of how well they space it. Banana negates any shield pressure and makes it a huge risk for them to do. Just holding a banana changes so much in how matchups play, and it is by and far one of the main reasons Diddy is amazing.

tl;dr bananas and spacing.

Top Bottom