• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to fight a Link

andrewajt62

Smash Journeyman
I hate Link, he's the worst character in the game. But there's a surprisingly large number of Link players in The Galaxy server. And all of them are campy. I play Jiggs as I main, and Mario/Luigi as secondaries. I don't usually play Jiggs against Link since Jiggs has no projectile and it's hard to approach. What's some good combo's/strategies Mario/Luigi can do to link, and what should I watch out for?

Mahie

Smash Lord
You can't camp Link unless you have Fox, and it's generally not a good idea even so, so you'll have to learn to approach while avoiding all the **** he throws at you. Jigglypuff vs Link is a horrible matchup, I agree, but you should do better with Mario.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
saying that you CAN'T camp link is a bold statement, I'd say "its hard to camp link" instead

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
good links r campy in general because they know that single backthrow can kill them. If you are staying too close to the edge they wont approach and for good reason. as mario just spam fireballs as an approach and be patient. once they r in ur uairs chains its game over.

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
good links aren't campy, and campy links aren't good

avoid bombs and attack boomerangs until you are close enough to hit him

Pen_island

Smash Cadet
Since when was jiggly vs link a terrible matchup? Just float over bombs, nair through boomerangs, come in with a nair/dair to grab/up tilt and link's done. I suppose its the same for mario vs link except you fireball a whole bunch.

Mahie

Smash Lord
In my opinion Jigglypuff Link is the hardest Jigglypuff matchup.
(Yes even harder than Luigi.)

NixxxoN

Smash Master
lolwut
jigglyuff is very easy to maneuver, really easy to dodge anything with her.
Luigi seems to be built on purpose for ****** jiggs lol

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I enjoy Jiggly vs. Link. You gotta sneak in with a falling Nair at about a 45 degree angle, forcing Link to retreat or counterattack. At this point you've gotten too close for him to start spamming and hopefully you can convert that position.

In general I think the best way to approach Link through his spam is to nair through a boomerang but good Links still make it really hard for you to get through it all. You just gotta be super patient and not succumb to getting poked.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I find the Puff vs Link matchup somewhat even. As long as you remain patient and find your openings, you should be good to go. As said before, Nair (I think even all of puff's aerials) beats boomerangs... though be careful when you do this, as your end lag may make you land on a bomb.

As far as getting that first hit on Link, don't approach from straight up. It's a free up-air on puff. You have to come at an angle. If you come in from the right angle, there's not much Link can do, so he can either try to attack you (if he misses, you can punish him with a 0-death), or retreat (now he's running out of room). If he retreats, just repeat this again, and abuse your jumps. Stay out of his sword range unless you're coming in for an attack.

As far as edgeguarding Link goes, if he is recovering from down low (as if to try to sweet-spot the ledge), d-smash will hit him before his up-B will hit you. If he's recovering from higher (e.g. to prevent an edgeguard), his up-B will beat your D-smash if he spaces it right. However, Dair will always beat his up-B if you space it right and use it right above him.

That's all I can think of for now... well, at least in terms of the Puff/Link matchup (I've done it many times).

Edit: Just like Mahie finds this to be his personal worst matchup as puff, I find Samus to be my personal worst matchup. I'd say Fox is by far Puff's actual worst matchup, but it's one of my favourites as Puff (and one of my best)... maybe because I play too many Foxes :p

rawrimamonster

Smash Ace
I've played this matchup numerous times, even with how good my jiggly is I find it hard to approach a truly good link. Best thing you can do, is get in and stay close, avoid utilts because thats what any link will spam in close proximity (besides spamming bairs and dairs for shield pressure)

Or you can try to stay as high as possible to avoid boomerangs and bombs and space to draw out/avoid uairs. One thing I learned is that Links hate the slide because it allows you to get in close range to them and around their projectiles, learn to slide and you'll get inside their range easily. Some links will seek to place projectiles around themselves to stop the slide approach but if you can control the distances of your slide with the proper aerial spacing afterward it'll cause big problems for them.

Stage plays a huge factor here too, not just for links gimpability, no. Because camprule is gonna be camped, it's how it is. You get a link off hyrule and their game changes considerably.

As for playing Mario against them, pressure with fireballs and get grabs. I have problems with Link against my Mario myself. Best option is once again, don't let them run away and regroup. Stay on his *** like a fly on ****. For close proximity I like to use dairuair into grab or keep spamming the dairuair to pressure them into letting down their shield or rolling then chase for a grab.

mr yo

Smash Cadet
jigs against link is quite an even match up in my opinion...yeah jigs sucks at the aproach...but with good, mindgames, di link has almost no large combos on jigs...and jigly combs link as a ping pong ball...gab utilt*2,grab....the fair chain into rest or into nair....or uair, B, rest....or variations....grab, drill, grab uair rest....fair, grab, uair, uair chain into rest, fair chain into rest....or b, rest

the list can go on FOREVER use you imagination jigs combo a lot...with normal B, reverse B...nair, weak nair....bair, weak bair...

you can gimp his cambe back easily with nairs and drills....if you run of the stage and you do a nair without jumping at the very moment you fall of..you can come back....very effective to edeguard....if you dont have time for that and he is coming from below....short hop and drill is perfect

you can also avoid his boomeran almost always ducking...

yeah jiggs approach sucks against link but at the moment you touch him....he is proably death.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
lol yeah just go Fox or Pika and make sure your spacing isn't completely dreadful

Those two overwhelm him purely with the speed of their attacks...

The Star King

Smash Hero
That, and Fox completely shuts down Link's projectile game with lasers + reflector, which is dumb.

SuperMetroid44

Smash Lord
don't get hit.
This is a nice way to look at it. =P Really, I think you have to play defense. Link is sluggish, so try getting him by letting him attack first, then attack him. Otherwise, you'll most likely just die since Link may not be good at recovering, but he's very strong.

O.o-RITH-o.O

Smash Journeyman
common man..with mario you can spam fire ball his *** off way better than he can spam his bombs and boomerangs...than bthrow and edge hog at 20% auhaehuaehuaeua
luigi i really think isnt a good option there...
jiggs **** link easyly dude..just fly carrefull and go down in the right time,you will get the grab,than you combo or bthrow if near the edge and good bye elf.. =D
really,link is just for fun,you cant have hard time playing against him... (there's 2 or 3 links in the whole world that can make me regreat saying that i know)

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I think RITH is right except the last part. Depending on who you use, It can get horribly tedious to fight against a good spacing Link (on the bigger stages)

banze

Smash Journeyman
Hey Rith dude!
You got yourself a new challenge !! next time we meet, it will be jiggys against link !
I bet I´ll, at least, give you a hard time !!

Hugs !

Top Bottom