• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get better as Lucario.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Meh, I didn't say terrible for Lucario's grab range because Peach deserves that title. Her broken wrist syndrome is just hilarious.

I wish I could be more eloquent when I type...basically, just play smarter and and make better choices and you'll do better. And know that you might have to take risks, because Lucario's lack of distinct advantages may force you to choose a risky option. It's not a secret.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Kita way to mess up a cool profound summarization of a paradox/"sagely advice"

I now officially hate u now

>:
Join the club.

The "I temporarily hate Kita" club.

I should start that group.

Peach's grab range is much, much better than ours iirc.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
They're about the same, but Peach's animation leads you to believe it's better than it is. The fact that her hand can literally go through your body and still miss is hilarious...what were they thinking putting the hitbox at her wrist?...

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
They're about the same, but Peach's animation leads you to believe it's better than it is. The fact that her hand can literally go through your body and still miss is hilarious...what were they thinking putting the hitbox at her wrist?...
Same thing they were doing when they made Ganondorf's Wizard's Foot that doesn't even have a hitbox on his foot.

Everyone's pivot grab that doesn't belong to Captain Falcon is pretty decent.

lmao at Falcon's pivot grab. 16 frames no range and his dash speed means it'll never ever be in range to hit anyone ever.

Shame Lucario's dash speed is so terrible it's not even good at cross-ups lol.

Zucco

Smash Master
Please do not tell me you said this because of what I do at the end of this Video.....

Why does TX do this to me the Lucario Boards!?

Anyways, I'm working on my defensive game right now. I play too offensively at times.
lol nah. kita made a thread saying the same thing and I thought it was funny.

o, no wonder I kept missing grabs when I was playing friendlies on last friday. This is good to know.

Lucario can beat all the top tiers. all of them are like, 45/55 or 40/60 but thats not even bad. Only character I think is a real uphill battle is D3.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Zucco, go look at the hitbubbles for Peach's grab. Once you see it, it will all make sense...

The more you know. *music plays*

fonzi21

Smash Ace
I agree Ph1ny it is dependant on who everyone plays, my best friend who I play everyday is a super aggressive MK so my style is defensive, but I need to learn to play both lol.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
I have pretty much always went full-Lucario no matter what the situation is. I don't feel uncomfortable in any MU because I believe that any of Luc's MU's isn't even close to unwinnable. I have Snake as secondary but he's just for fun and situations like if the game broke and you can't play as Luc anymore lol :p

My game revolves strongly around baiting and punishing. I just love all the possibilities with BROVESAL!? you can create and they're perfect for mindgames. It's hilarious to do the normal b-revesal while running away from your opponent -> opponent prepares for an AS and shields -> grag out of charge :lick:

DI is especially important for Lucario. I have noticed when I fail at DI I have practically already lost the game but when it works I'm just unstoppable. Many times surviving the first stock to close 200% has given me an instant-win :p Fear factor ftw.

Although my sig says I'm seeking for DI it's only because of Melee. Who else couldn't get back to stage after single Fox uthrow? >_>

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
You have to be careful with any option, even the flashy ones.

I've seen time after time again where trela tries a b-reversal and gets punishes pretty bad for it (most recently there were a few times you see it in his friendlies v. Ozz), you have to realize the good and bad of any option.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Learn to play a passive aggressive Lucario, you can't go wrong with that style. Also make sure you're using your tilts. >.>
I sort of agree with this. I like when my opponents(except DDD) are at 0%. Perfect oppurtunity to work on strings the Pitbull combos. I know I'm days late but if you want to play faster, find a Falco player to play against. Whenever me and Warchief play its like Melee.

Shinja

Smash Apprentice
I know Im a nub around these forums, but I've been maining Lucario for quite some time now and I have had so many ups and downs with him its not even funny. Hes the only Brawl character I know I can play well but lately I've been having another slump..

Not only do I have trouble offstage, but I limit myself greatly by not using smashes a whole lot, or aura sphere unless used for KOs. To add more to it, I also have a problem with nair and Im picking up an old forcepalm habit that gets me in a lot of trouble. I think I really need to go back to the roots and slow down a little. I try to rush too much and think I know what Im doing when I really don't. Also gotta work on my extremespeed which has been failing lately.

To sum it up, Im a Lucario player that can bring up the damage but not get the KO in...I don't know how to fix that. Im wide open for suggestions. @_@

Aurasmash14

Smash Lord
would you like to explain your problems more? saying you have trouble offstage and stuff can be a little vague. whats up? getting gimped? or just having a hard time curving ES?

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Don't fish for KOs. If you fish too hard, you'll lose your line.

Take your kills as they come and wait patiently for openings.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Read the guide on recovery, there's a lot in it. It takes a lot of practicing to get down the "safe" timing to use certain moves like ES.

I'm assuming for nair you're having problems using it regarding hitting someone's shield with it. The answer is unless the grab range of the character is horrible, in which you can get away with retreating nair, don't ever, EVER use it on block, unless you think they're going to pull up their shield from anticipating a faked second aerial. Shield is a very strong tool in the game, and understanding when, how, and what to attack/move around it is important.

FP is a very hard move to use when you're new to Lucario unless you're against bad players, I'd learn to use jabs, utilt, fair, nair, dair, AS, and throws before trying to get the hang of FP.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Use footstools more. Footstool->dair on grounded opponents is too good, lol...

Shinja

Smash Apprentice
Well, with offstage, I usually get spiked or ledgehogged in non-friendly situation. I try to get back on the stage as fast as I can so pretty much the second I grab the ledge I'll either jump over head or drop down and use a fair or uair to get back up. Of course both options get me in trouble because they're all expected moves. I used to drop down off the ledge and aura sphere to get them away but I haven't been doing that a lot since a simple guard deems the opponent safe. To put it simply, Im paranoid of being ledgehogged or spiked so I don't go offstage if I can help it. I sometimes get bold and pull off a lucky uair KO but thats about it. Sometimes I get gimped and can't make it back, or they grab the ledge before me, or I fail and end up using ES poorly and miss recovering.

I've always seen Lucarios that can do awesome stuff like fair their opponents off the stage and finish off with a dair, but thats just something I can never do. Gotten to the point where Im afraid of trying anything offstage haha.

My nair problem comes from me trying to retreat fair/bair without a c-stick. Commonly, when I want to do something like a fair a nair comes out instead. It could just be me or my wiimote or nunchuck, but it is something that leaves me wide open. I've been told in the past that I should be a bit more defensive in the air. Commonly when Im knocked back I'll do something like fair-dair-nair and land but if my opponent blocks then they can easily punish me. So yeah, phi1ny3, you're right, I need to work on defense instead of offense. I always seem to nair when Im coming to a land, whether it be on purpose or not...

FP...I dunno what is up with me and FP. I believe I gained the bad habit of overusing it when I found the grab range for it is better than Lucario's normal grab. I know I sometimes do it right but the other times I find myself doing it unnecessarily and I cringe each time I do because I leave Lucario wide open. Last time I had that problem, I restricted myself from ever using it in a match and I was fine until I picked up the nair problem. I rely on utilt a lot and jabs along with fair and bair. I need to open my doors more. Its pretty sad that I haven't realized this until now...Nice to have a whole group of Lucario mains to give pointers for improvement.

I should give training mode another go and just work on ES control. Sometimes all it takes for me to get better is to try stuff in training mode for an hour or so a day. I've been playing Lucario for such a long time and Im only now realizing I have sooo much I need to learn in order to be a better Lucario main >_<

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Fair WoP strings means learning to use cstick aerials and chasing correctly with the analog stick instead of holding forward + hitting A in the air.

As for wiimote playing, I'll admit your a brave man for trying out with that kind of controller, if you really feel comfortable with the wiimote + chuk combo, I'd probably remap your controls so that you do have a pseudo "cstick", you'll almost never get a retreating fair/bair unless you "claw" your controller. I would recommend learning to use a GC controller though, or at least trying.

Shinja

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I know what you mean. I really don't like using the wiichuck combo sometimes but I was pretty much forced to because my mum hates cords. I've gotten so far down the line with it that I can't even begin to learn to use the GC controller. I've tried but it just doesn't work.
I did modify my d-pad though so that I have an left/right/up as smashes and down as a grab. I usually don't like smashes but I did it because I wanted to retreat fair, which Im still not good at. Its kind of awkward reaching though.

Oh and, a good example of my problems is visibly displayed in this match. You only have to watch the first 15 seconds to see four nairs poorly used..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxw_PlLNN7M
(if it'd be better for me to post this in the video critique thread I can edit and move it there :3 )

iRJi

Smash Champion
Zucco, I don't wanna just come in and said something that can ruin your first thread, but you are telling this to people who are lazy. You know what you said is true, hence why I have been placing alot better. It is because I stopped trying to look for certain things, and improved my self. These are people who just talk about stuff for a couple weeks, and goes back to spamming the main chat thread because they are not willing to improve, but speculate and throw predictions. This is why I barely post or say anything on the boards, and when it becomes 1/2 way active on terms of "I wanna do something productive instead of just posting about random **** that I might find funny" I will start posting again. I said it before on my part, I hate wasting time, and to be honest, I care less of what any one here thinks of me lol.

TL:DR: Stop being stupid. This isn't a troll, this is truthful. Pay attention to the last time any of you have done something productive, and you will see why I am such a kill joy. You guys personally need someone who does this to get you moving on the right direction.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
TL:DR: Stop being stupid. This isn't a troll, this is truthful. Pay attention to the last time any of you have done something productive, and you will see why I am such a kill joy. You guys personally need someone who does this to get you moving on the right direction.
I made a thread on how to avoid dying on yoshi's island, and I made frame data and lucario hitbubbles visible. :<

We're getting stuff done, just very, very slowly.

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
iRJi idk about you.

But I'm someone who can do all this and while still standing in front of a TV and practicing consistency and stuff.

dunno.

The fact I am a minor still and cannot travel to other places by myself may also affect this :\

just can't like go and say "HEY BRO LETS SMASH" because no one lives near me.

also I agree with kita ****-it.

I find stuff, I just do it at my own relaxed pace.

Grizzer

Smash Journeyman
Here's your problem. Get a GC controller or a classic controller, preferrably GC.
wiichuck works, but you HAVE TO MAKE YOUR C-STICK WORK.
otherwise you'll end up not being able to use aerials while moving in the other direction.

the only problem i have with the wiichuck is that the 2 components are not somehow bound together (for button bashing it would be usefull) and you have to choose between tapjump on and a grab button, or tap jump off and NO grab button -.- except for shieldgrabs :p

i main diddy and all the technical **** diddy can do applies to me too, so it isnt really that much of a hindrance

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
that being said we are all lazy *******s regardless.
HEY >:(

We've done well over the past few months. Look at our board vs. something like King Dedede's board. We still got all this stuff to discuss and haven't divulged into all of our advanced stuff yet. (Hell, we're still getting some basics down >.> )

We need to stop sucking in some things, but we need a direction in order to do that kind of stuff. What other basics should we dive into?

alpharomeo

Smash Rookie
am just a new online player desperate for some to play with send me your friend code in my private inbox and ill definetly add you tonite my friend code is 0603-9112-8425

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Since I was over 7k in the LBR I'm bringing it here.

Alright, alright I feel like I'm holding back a lot of things with Lucario. Truth be told, I am.

You want the basics, let's go.

Spacing with certain moves

- Fsmash -

Like I said earlier, learn to properly space it. Meaning, know when to pressure, punish and zone with it. Just cause it wont hit, doesn't mean we wont get punished right away. Practice it a lot seriously if you know when you can fsmash a snake, mk, diddy, falco, etc... Without them punishing you for using this move, such as MK dash grabbing you, or dash attacking to prevent you from executing it, or snake ftilting you when you hit his shield, or dash attacking out of shield into mortar. You will feel a lot better.

Also I'm not seeing us really stutter step with fsmash as much, it actually helps out especially when an opponent is near the edge, and they know you like to fsmash. I usually stutter step into them, when they try to avoid it and they get tippered.

- Fair -

This is golden, extremely golden if we learn how to space with this better a lot of characters will feel really uncomfortable fighting Lucario. If you do a full hop, you can get 2 out immediately and still have time to shoot an aura sphere, dair, nair, b reversal away, airdodge safely. If you try for 3, you will suffer landing lag.

Short hop, you can only get one, but you're able to bair, shoot an aura sphere, b reversal, nair, dair but obviously at a shorter distance.

Of course we know this, but we're talking about the basics, so yeah it's time to be obvious.

Knowing when to approach, retreat, reverse aerial rush, or just stay still with fair is really important it sets up for different options. Let me explain the uncommon one.

Reverse Aerial Rush Fair - In case you didn't know, Lucario does have a hit box behind him when he does fair. It's least expecting to RAR with fair, however our opponents mostly assume that we will fair them in front of them and not really go through them, in doing that if we space it improperly, we can get punished out of shield. Dedede - Grab/Utilt, Snake - Utilt, MK - grounded shuttle loop, Falco/Fox - usmash. You get the idea however, with a reverse aerial rush, we get that short hit stun, be facing behind them if we go through their shield, and if they don't move their shield on time we can poke them with dair, aura spheres, even nair or just land and grab them or whatever you feel like doing.

What are the negatives about this? It can be risky yes, this isn't one of our best options, personally I like to use this to fall on opponents especially Falco, cause the knock back doesn't send them too far, so you're able to keep hitting him while he's dropping and it sets up for bairs and rising nairs.

Short hop Fairs - Extremely common, too extreme. We become predictable, pretty much telling your opponent. "Alright time to put up the shield and punish this now." Tell me that doesn't happen to you a lot? If it doesn't, then you're an extremely smart Lucario player or you opponents are just too easy and you need better competition. Is it good? Absolutely, in moderation, usually when we think of approach we all say fair, or short hop fair. Until we remembered that full hop was a lot better especially to avoid a lot of punishing techniques, so why did we stop? Who knows, I mainly stopped full hopping fairs, cause I was trying to force out combos, and when it didn't happen I got punished, when I should've just been spacing my fairs.

So what should we really use short hop fairs? We can still use it to approach, but I see it more as a punisher and zoning method. We have talked about our options out of shield. I've recently started to use this as a way to punish out of shield, if I can't utilt, rising dair my opponent or I don't have a charged aura sphere ready. Especially if they attack from the air, we can still push them back with a fair, then rising with one and fall down on them with nair or dair.

Zoning with it is useful, short fair to aura sphere, short hop fair to retreating nair to get the quick land, short hop fair to airdodge. We can even use that get around a shielder if they don't react fast enough.

Neutral fairs - I mainly use this, when an opponent is grabbing the ledge, full hop, short hop. It's all about pressuring you opponent into thinking they are safe remember the count, 2 full hops, 3rd one will make you land with lag if you don't double jump, short hop is 1, 2nd one will make you land with lag. What can you do to make them feel uncomfortable, say they roll from the edge, you can start to DI to where there roll will end, hit them with a bair, hell even use your 2nd hop and dair to punish, even turn around and shoot an aura sphere into their back, or if you think you can do it well enough land and get ftilt or fsmash in there. It's up to you, what if just do a regular get up? Kick them back off, dair their shield so they grab the ledge again, shoot an aura sphere on landing, move away and regroup. If it's MK get away if they like to spam shuttle loop once they rise up. If they jump? If you full hopped and know you can get them before they airdodge, hit them back off stage, then hit with rising nair or dair (All depends on your height when descending).

- Aura Sphere -

The love factor, it racks up damage, it's annoying (Not as annoying as Pit's Arrows), it makes Lucario flash, we can spam with it, it gets bigger with aura. It's one of our kill moves if not our main one.

How to use it wisely

There are many ways to use Aura sphere. We can use it to get a kill in if necessary one of our main ways of killing as a matter of fact. However we can use it for pressure, rack up damage and harassing our opponents.

Pressuring - Baby Aura spheres, half charged, fully charged aura spheres all have their uses in pressuring. Shield pressuring, stage control, how our opponent can approach us.

Flame told me that people like to walk up to him and perfect shield his aura spheres. Annoying yes, however if we're at low percent our aura spheres wont do squat to their shields even if they perfect shield it. It wont really diminish it at all, but charging one and shooting one off, then immediately getting another one ready is a lot better. We can spam them off pretty well especially if one is slightly charged (I don't understand why, but we can which is really weird. Someone should check into that for me and give me some results.)

But what if they don't perfect shield them? Well, their shield gets eaten up, and if they suck at it, they will probably start hopping over them. In this way I think of street fighter, when people usually hop over hadouken spams if they don't have a projectile to clash with and just like Ryu's hadouken's speed can be altered if you press, weak, strong or fierce punch, our aura spheres travel at different speeds depending on how much they are charged thus making the hopping game a bit harder and when they get close it's time to punish.

----- To be continued once I wake up. I have a lot more on my plate, but it's **** near 4 in the morning.

I do plan on finishing this. Expect me to cover jabs, tilts, approaching, recovering, and a whole lot of other ****.

Browny

Smash Hater
lol... walking up to him and PS'ing aura spheres

thats the perfect example of when not to use them. I maintain my belief that BAS is made redundant by FCAS and should rarely, if ever be used.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
FCAS is one of the best moves when they're offstage.

Top Bottom