• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to import OBJ into brawl

SomeoneThatExited

Smash Rookie
HOW TO IMPORT OBJ MODEL INTO BRAWL
yes, it is possibly to have OBJ in your brawl now but BEWARE it is limited
it is great for stages but not so good for characters :/ it add only one bone
this tutorial is most to 3DS MAX since I dont know about the other model program.

Things you need
§ brawlbox
§ SZS modifier
§ a mario kart wii stage.szs you can temporaly use (if you dont have any, try this stage: http://www.mediafire.com/?y2i1yym2m3q)
§ fortwaffles mdl0 porting program - all 3 (matfix, polyfix, headerfix)
§ 3DS max
§ a OBJ model (it can be any other model but at least the model program can convert it)

1. First, open up 3DS MAX and import your OBJ. if you want, you can create your own model.

2. then you're done, select your model and export as OBJ (wavefront).
you will see a settnings screen. MAKE SURE you have "triangles" on faces in the slidebar!
or else it wont work.

3. once you have exportet your model, reset 3DS MAX with a new file and import the model you exported! and this time make sure "import as a single mess" is on!

4. repeat step 2.

5. you are done with 3DS MAX, right click on you OBJ model you exported and open "notepad".

6. press "Ctrl + H" or "edit -> replace"

7. write down "." in the first and write down "," in the second. this make all the dots will be "," dots since SZS have extreme buggy to read "." and save

8. open up your SZS modifier and stage and choose one model from there. best choice is course model -> course since it is the biggest.

9. press file and select import and choose your OBJ and wait until it is finish.
(one tip. select all polygons or it won't be enough with space)

10. go out from the course and save if it asking you to save then you leave. now, SAVE or SAVE AS FIRST BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE! then you have done it. close and open up it again, select "course model" (or the one you picked) and right-click on it and choose "export raw data". make sure you naming it ".brres" at the end, or else it will be raw data.

11. close the SZS and start fortwaffle's mdl0 porting on the brres you exported from SZS.

12. open your brres in brawlbox and see your file.

13. TA-DAH!
(example and the first OBJ stage ever made in brawl :p)
your OBJ model is in brawlbox and ready to use in game.
I bet you know how to make characters / stages by you own x3
you maybe have to texture your model if it doesn't look good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2-Go_UWBfE video ex about the stage on pic above

Q and A
Q: my SZS saying the obj model is an "invalid file" what should I do?
A: you proberaly missed step 5-6, it is often that steps that fix the problem

Q: My SZS want to seek after MTH file, what should I do?
A: it is because the OBJ file is connect with MTH if you used or download the model and SZS can only open one file at the time. do step 1-6 and try again
Link to fortwaffles mdl0 porting program? i can't find it.

Aeroblast43o9

Smash Rookie
This post is probably dead, but lets give it a shot anyways.

So I have a custom model I want to import into Brawl. However there are some issues.
Guess I should describe the model's specs and such.
Model Specs
-----------------------------------
-All textures are ether 128x256, 256x128 or 256x256. Which should all be acceptable sizes for Textures.
-No textures during OBJ export warped or stretched to incorrect texture widthxheights.
-OBJ is 454 KB
-The Model has 5553 Triangles. (is that too much? I would think not since even f'ing N64 games can handle that if it isn't all so close in one space...)
-One Last thing is that the model was made in Sketchup. Here is a pic of it rendered in 3DS Max.(I also use 3DS Max 2014)
http://imgur.com/a/FapGt

------------------------------------
Issues I am having.
*I am 100% sure I am following all the steps correctly up until the part where we are replacing the Course model.
Many of the Issues ether come down to a
*Material Issues (Like mentioned, i am positive i am using proper texture proportions.
*Some big error all together (I dont even know)
*Too Many Polygons (If my model is too complicated, which I dont understand technically why it would be...Do you know the Polygon limit by any chance?)

Any other ideas?

Additional Edit: I made a more low poly stage and I successfully replaced the course model. I saved and exported the rawdata/with the proper extension like explained. how ever, can you explain to me how fortwaffles mdl0 porting program(s) are suppose to work? The download I found has these three different game maker converters and I threw the bress file threw each one of them but all I got is a split second pop up of a handful some random numbers. I tried opening the file in Brawlbox and it ether crashes or all the dictionary's are just a corrupted mess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom