• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to improve faster as fox?

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
As the title says how does one improve faster as fox. I wonder how Mango, Leffen, and Armada got so good with fox.

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
down b

but seriously, first you have to be able to move your character, and because fox is one of the most technically demanding, you can't afford to make errors there.

After that, start assessing his options in situations you don't like, and look for better ones. Eventually you will find the best option for a good amount of situations you come across. Then you use your prior knowledge to start looking at even more possibilities as you polish your tech and learn new things, which is theorycrafting.

Now all that's left is experience vs humans.

It's really basic, but there are much more detailed things written about it.

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
Basically to get really good with fox, is to grind tech skill out 8 hours a day and learn from my mistakes and fixing them. I'm a beginner and still learning fox.

Last edited:

Padre!

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4356-0947-3275
Grind out techskill in 20XX and keep going to tournaments. There really is no fast way to get better at Melee, you just have to grind, get beat, and put the work in to get better.

Sp1nda

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
Honestly it depends on how fast you're able to learn as a person, understand the game, and adapt to playstyles. In my experience I started playing Fox in November, and back then I lost to a Pichu, (lmao) but now only a few months later I am getting really close to beating some of the best players in my region. Every tournament I write down notes and things that work, little things about approaches and shield pressure and stuff. Writing notes has helped me improve so much faster than I probably should be. But I never really sat in my room and practiced techskill, I practiced moving around platforms and wavelanding everywhere, since that's what I'm based around. Techskill is important, I suggest learning how to cleanly waveshine without problems, shine out of shield, running upsmash, short hop aerial without problems, just so you get the basics down, then I'd focus more on learning more advanced techskill after you learn how neutral game works, mixups, and how to followup smoothly. Knowing the fundamentals and the way the game works is hella important, miles ahead of the importance of techskill. (See: Borp)

Last edited:

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
Appreciate the info Sp1nda Sp1nda . When I first started playing in weeklies I lost to a pichu lol. I haven't had time to grind tech skill lately. But I'm learning fox still. Should I worry about neutral game I'm just curious?

Ciex

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glaciex
Appreciate the info Sp1nda Sp1nda . When I first started playing in weeklies I lost to a pichu lol. I haven't had time to grind tech skill lately. But I'm learning fox still. Should I worry about neutral game I'm just curious?
Learning the neutral game is going to be useful to you in not only Smash, but every fighting game, even if it's played differently: So yes, you should worry about neutral game IMO. It's just essential for all of the fighting games.
There are no shortcuts to becoming better, some improve fast and some improve slow. Also remember that you're starting out as Fox who isn't really the easiest character to start out playing the game as.
Also try to get that knowledge, read here on Smashboards and watch videos and tutorials etc.
Personally I watch SSBMTutorials on YouTube every now and then, sometimes over and over just to take in the information.

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
Great advice Ciex Ciex I watch a lot of top players Mango, Armada, Lucky, I want to improve faster at my neutral game and punish game.

mysticfedora

do your f*cking sh*t and LET'S GO!
The question at hand is one that makes me angry, because the top players I'm friends with have bred me to be that way. But I'll withhold my emotion in order to help you out.

The question you ask is a simple one; so therefore it must have a simple answer, and it does.

In order to get better - faster, one must work harder. That's it, the harder you work, the faster you'll improve. To add to that - work smarter as well.
Really, just learn as much as you can about the game - and how to improve as well! Also learn what it means to be a good competitor. You just gotta be a sponge and soak up all you can :) but it would also be a very good thing to learn to think critically. You can answer every question you have about the game yourself, you just have to put the work in and find the answer within you.

So there's that. Learn theory, learn frame data, learn the mental game, and practice practice practice! You wonder how Armada, Leffen, and Mang0 got good with Fox? It's how anybody got good with any other character. There's no such thing as magic.
So play a ton, and if you need a starting place I'd say tinyurl.com/meleelibrary is an invaluable resource. Get going!

MJfan725

Smash Apprentice
Basically to get really good with fox, is to grind tech skill out 8 hours a day and learn from my mistakes and fixing them. I'm a beginner and still learning fox.
Make sure you take breaks and stretch your hands though. Its better to start now and prolong your hands for the future

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
Great advice i really appreciate it.

Last edited:

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
One question how do you capitalize on dair to shine tech chases and how do you shine grab what inputs should I use to shine grab?

Adamante

Smash Rookie
To shine grab : Down b -> x/y -> z, just like a waveshine but pressing z instead of R/L

Onmitsu

Smash Apprentice
Albany/Leesburg area (yes, they're so small it's j
So advice my friend gave me other than work on certain tech skills. Fox is a character that combos by hitting the opponent and chasing them instead of setting up his combos. You have to learn how to stay on someone. Practice your tech skill and play scrubs to learn how to do that. Even bad players can punish, so your neutral game will get work in too.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Grinding tech skill 8 hours a day is absolutely not the best way to get better faster with fox, practice your punishes yes, but what you really need to practice is getting in with fox and having really good ground movement. That is what will get you a grab or a nair or some kind of combo starter. Practice your punishes on 20xx so they are consistent, when playing against humans rotate between trying to tech skill them to death and just getting in on them to get a launcher punish of any kind.

Top Bottom