• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to make brawl like melee without hacking!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
Just as the title says there is a way to do this without hacking. Note that this will be like a very extreme version of melee.

What you do is first you go to special brawl. Put it on fast speed and heavy gravity. Then set the damage ratio to 1.1. And your done! It wont be as perfect as hacking but it is a good choice if u dont want to hack your wii. Some characters such as Captain Falcon really benefit from these changes. High gravity and the dmg ratio at 1.1 increase comboing capabilities making it almost like melee combing. The new dmg ratio increases hitstun.

All credit goes to DarkAura for this idea. Trust me, I had a lot of fun when playing like this.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Good idea.

I've thought about this, but never really used it in a game. Guess if could be for lulz.

Jonas

Smash Champion
Increased gravity is pretty funny, but it doesn't work that well without l-canceling D:

And yeah, damage ratio is too low in regular Brawl. I suggest 1.1 or 1.2.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm actually better at brawl than melee so i'm gonna keep it like it is, but maybe i should give it a shot.

Noobicidal

Smash Master
All credit goes to DarkAura for this idea. Trust me, I had a lot of fun when playing like this.
This has been suggested since... March?

Anyway, it's a fun change of pace from traditional Brawl, that's for sure.

*Puts in Melee* /problem

JUDGE

Smash Lord
NO L CANCELLING; NO AIRDODGE LIKE IN MELEE= NO WAVEDASH

but still pretty nice idea^^

R3d X

Smash Rookie
>_> srsly? this is actually being considered? this isn't a viable idea considering there's no L canceling, no wavedashing or anything like that. If you want to play melee then just play melee. people should stop wasting their time trying to make a game into a game that's ALREADY been made. just go buy it if you don't have it. Jesus man brawl is BRAWL not BRELEE... -_-

metaXzero

Smash Champion
At this point, you don't even need the Homebrew channel (which was already harmless) to use hacks in Brawl anymore, so their is really no reason why anyone wanting Melee out of Brawl wouldn't use hacks.

Of course, if they truly want Melee, they could just.....take Brawl out....and.....put Melee in.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I like Metal Brawl with a 1.6 damage ratio, but I'll have to give this a try. For the lulz. Cause I have Melee, and if I want to play that, well...

BOB SAGET!

Smash Lord
this just combines the 2. u have the fun fast paced melee combo action. with all your favourite brawl chars. sucks theres no wavedashing and LC. but at least u can combo. and i discovered u can sweet spot the knee way easier. same with sheiks ko moves. which makes these chars buffed. almost like melee. for the air dodging just dont do it. if your facing a cpu. just set it to 5. they almost never airdodge.

§leepy God

Smash Master
There's still tripping and no L cancelling.
LMAO, that automatically make's it not like Melee. XD

At this point, you don't even need the Homebrew channel (which was already harmless) to use hacks in Brawl anymore, so their is really no reason why anyone wanting Melee out of Brawl wouldn't use hacks.

Of course, if they truly want Melee, they could just.....take Brawl out....and.....put Melee in.
I agree with this post.

As for me, I really don't want a sequel game to play the same except for the core of the game. But that's just me.

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Tried it out last night. Too fast for my tastes....even faster than Melee. Just kept Heavy Grav. with 1.2 dmg ratio on.

I will say this: I think it makes Meta Knight a bit more broken. Sure, he can't jump as high, but he has the best recovery in the game still AND has attacks that combo into themselves with hitstun. Plus, dsmash. Captain Falcon feels better, but no where near Melee good. Ganon got a bit of a buff too. Sheik's ftilt into usmash feels great with this. Jiggs gets ***** because the attacks launch farther, but she can wall of pain easier.

It's fun, but I prefer Metal Brawl with 1.6 dmg ratio because it feels slightly faster(without the speed boost) and is a bit more balanced. Plus, Meta Knight recieves a major nerf in Metal Brawl. Still, I need to play around with this more.

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
There's still tripping and no L cancelling.
Here's something you might want to try :bee::
-Giant
-Fast
-Light

The increase in your size makes comboing much easier, while the faster speed lowers the "lag" on all of your attacks. In reality, the faster speed is merely compensating for the fact that being larger slows you down by a noticeable amount. The "Light" setting compensates for other negative effects of Giant Brawl including increased gravity and nerfed recoveries, while still letting you combo with much greater ease. Played on a proportionally larger Battlefield created with stage builder, this game mode provides the same core Brawl gameplay with a considerabley faster pace. Other effects regarding special attacks are present such as increased projectile speed and slower momentum based specials. (I.E. Sonic's spindash or MK's drill rush) Unfortunately, the scope of Stage Builder blastlines makes the battle much less centralized around recovery/edgeguarding. This will of course benefit and cause trouble for different characters.

My buddy and I have not played this with more than a few characters, however nobody we have tested thus far seems incredibly broken. I can expect to see problems with Falco, Toon Link, and other heavy projectile users however :urg:. Oh, and much more c-stick spamming since the startup time of all your smashes and tilts is reduced. I have also never experimented with modified damage ratios, so someone might like to try that.

Tell mewhat you think. :laugh:

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Tried it out last night. Too fast for my tastes....even faster than Melee. Just kept Heavy Grav. with 1.2 dmg ratio on.

I will say this: I think it makes Meta Knight a bit more broken. Sure, he can't jump as high, but he has the best recovery in the game still AND has attacks that combo into themselves with hitstun. Plus, dsmash. Captain Falcon feels better, but no where near Melee good. Ganon got a bit of a buff too. Sheik's ftilt into usmash feels great with this. Jiggs gets ***** because the attacks launch farther, but she can wall of pain easier.

It's fun, but I prefer Metal Brawl with 1.6 dmg ratio because it feels slightly faster(without the speed boost) and is a bit more balanced. Plus, Meta Knight recieves a major nerf in Metal Brawl. Still, I need to play around with this more.
I played around with Metal Brawl with 1.6 damage ratio. It's definately at bit faster, and there's more comboing. On the other hand, gimping is easier. Some characters like Lucario can just f-throw someone off the stage and they'll have a very hard time recovering if they use someone like Ike or Ganondorf. Kirby can combo in countless ways. Falco has a special d-throw to dash attack patterned combo that can be escaped, but it's not likely with the timing on the grabs being very simple.

Yeah, Meta Knight and Pit are extremely stage dependant. Once their off stage, they're probably not getting back on.

Other than the Ice Climbers, all CGs going longer than 4 grabs are gone (I think). I'm not sure if Falcon would be better or worse cause he still has his priority issues. If you can read someone well, then Falcon definately got better.

Overall, it's pretty good. Almost every character has high comboing chances but with the nerfing in recovery chances, I wouldn't count on it being taken seriously for competitive play. It's still something to try out and explore though. :)

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
Link got incredibly buffed in Metal Brawl. Sure, his recovery is nerfed further, but he has trouble getting back anyways.

Anyways, I'm talking bout the Gale Boomerang. After like 20% or so(been a while since I've played Metal Brawl), hitting your opponent in the air with it is like getting a free foot stool jump from a distance. That more than makes up for his horrible recovery in my opinion.

In fact, I think the only character that plummeted down to bottom tier is Pit. Meta Knight comes close, but he still does okay in some areas. Oh, and Charizard...but I doubt that he would be used much anyways. Tether Recoveries have a slightly harder time recovering, but I think this is most noticable with the ICs.

EDIT: Small tidbit- Dedede's down throw is useless in Metal Brawl. As in, your opponent gets a free hit if you use it. No more chain grabs from him.

Oh, and sorry bout highjacking the thread with Metal Brawl. I guess there are two advantages to play with heavy gravity instead: character voices(and as a result, audible clues[Snake's down special]), and the ability to have costumes. Yeah.

GunmasterLombardi

Smash Champion
Link got incredibly buffed in Metal Brawl. Sure, his recovery is nerfed further, but he has trouble getting back anyways.

Anyways, I'm talking bout the Gale Boomerang. After like 20% or so(been a while since I've played Metal Brawl), hitting your opponent in the air with it is like getting a free foot stool jump from a distance. That more than makes up for his horrible recovery in my opinion.

In fact, I think the only character that plummeted down to bottom tier is Pit. Meta Knight comes close, but he still does okay in some areas. Oh, and Charizard...but I doubt that he would be used much anyways. Tether Recoveries have a slightly harder time recovering, but I think this is most noticable with the ICs.

EDIT: Small tidbit- Dedede's down throw is useless in Metal Brawl. As in, your opponent gets a free hit if you use it. No more chain grabs from him.

Oh, and sorry bout highjacking the thread with Metal Brawl. I guess there are two advantages to play with heavy gravity instead: character voices(and as a result, audible clues[Snake's down special]), and the ability to have costumes. Yeah.
Jigglypuff is the worse Metal Brawl character while Rob is the best due to the best recovery.

Lemon?

Smash Apprentice
It makes brawl different thats for sure, but if you want to make it more like melee, just eject the brawl disc and put in melee. Problem solved

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
NECROMANCY!
THIS THREAD HAS RETURNED FROM THE DEAD!
BACK TO WHERE YOU CAME FROM!

and pls dont bump ded threads pls ty :) /lock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom