• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

::: How to only hit Down Smash's First Hit.

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
Okay.
I've done some testings here.

Sorry any english mistakes, because its isn't my first language.

The first hit from Toon Link's Down Smash, is a quite powerful. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=rbFnHBI-kts)
• Isn't a One-Hit KO (only if your opponent doesn't know of it, or the edge of the stage is near the KOing area).
• Also, the first hit have a fixed knockback for every damage. The knockback in 0% is equal the knockback in 999%.
• This knockback suffers diminishes if being stale.

There three things that affect the link from the first hit to the second hit of Toon Link's Down Smash.
----

1) Surface

The surface under Toon Link heavily affects the sequence.
Like Marth's Forward Smash in Melee, Toon Link's Down Smash also gets angled if the surface is a slope.

Any angled surfaces will make almost sure that only the first hit connects.
Edges from Yoshi's Island, Corneria. Roofs from Onett. Even the whole Lylat Cruise.

example: http://youtube.com/watch?v=lXCtYbM97C8 (00:29)

2) Directional Influence

Even in flat surfaces, you can pull out this. But this depends of your opponent's DI.
Strangely enough, the DI that makes this is a Down DI.
So if you opponent is crouched or going to do a Down Smash/Tilt he only suffers the first hit.

This doesn't work everytime, and is very situational. Also is very dependent of third factor.

3) Opponent Size and Weight

Its easily to pull this out, if your opponent's character isn't big as a Bowser, or heavy as Samus. Enough said.

----

PS: At low % (until 20%) the Second Hit's Knockback is so minimal, that the First Hit's one is the only that counts. This is a awesome way of killing Ikes.
Do a Down Smash and jump in his Forward B in order to kill him if he DIed.

Wardub

Smash Cadet
Wow awesome find, I just unlocked Toon Link and he feels really fluid and awesom. I think I will second him. Any other tips on being Toon Link, I suppose the game hasn't been out long enough though.

TaurToph

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I love you. You make me want to buy a Wii just to play Toon Link and be better than you.
(don't worry i'm very competitive)

HeroXL

Smash Journeyman
wait ****it sorry for this horrible question...but the downhit is the one thats a OHKO? is that right? Why do we only want to hit with the first. Crap I'm usually not this slow

Clink

Smash Cadet
I've noticed this as well but not put much though into tryin to time it much. But I have used the method of that attack pretty frequent when the situation is right. Even if you don't get that KO the chance to get in the Bair after teh second hit is one way to cover up that KO you missed

MIRN

Smash Cadet
Wow, thanks for making this vid. I will have to try this out later today. I've been maining Link for years, and I just unlocked TL last night, so I'm still getting used to his playstyle. It's quite different from Link, a bit reminiscent of YL from Melee, but better (I use to interchange playing the two of them.)

Stelfe

Smash Apprentice
(If this has been said before than nevermind)
Sorry for the bump, but I found something important here.

My theory here, as I was testing this in training mode, is that if you charge the d smash to it's limit, he will hit the second time, but if you charge his d smash about half way, it'll kill them. Might be wrong... Someone else can test it also.

Tahtah

Smash Apprentice
(If this has been said before than nevermind)
Sorry for the bump, but I found something important here.

My theory here, as I was testing this in training mode, is that if you charge the d smash to it's limit, he will hit the second time, but if you charge his d smash about half way, it'll kill them. Might be wrong... Someone else can test it also.
ill try this when i get home but i have did this AT like 3 times but none of them were charged.

Stelfe

Smash Apprentice
So we're trying to hit them when they're crouching to affect DI? Or maybe I don't know what DI means. Can someone explain it?
Yea, basically you hit them when they're crouching.
DI means directional influence.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
omg kizzu thanks. ive been doing this for a while but never really found out how to do it and that the DI was down. how weird

Top Bottom