• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how to play against the tornado spam in mk dittos?

ckm

Smash Journeyman
Very often, I see people claiming that when it comes to MT vs MT, all that matters is the time of the tornado creation--whoever makes the tornado last, wins. I have never tested this, but just from play experience I had a feeling it was more complicated than that... I dont have any matches recorded, but I really thought that it seemed tougher to predict than that. There actually was another thread around here where someone asked that question and this seemed to be the conclusion.

Another thing that I have heard is that MT gains priority as you keep pressing B. If this is really the case, then this "newer tornado wins" theory is clearly flawed. I recently made a thread asking about this, and got only one response saying "whoever presses b more wins".

So... long story short, im not too sure myself, but would like to know the answer. It seems to me that maybe both are true... if both players use the "normal" version of MT (just push b once), then the newer tornado wins... but if one, or both, players continue to press b, then the one with the most increase in priority due to pressing b wins.

Like i said though, this is just speculation, as I have never seen actual data or reliable info on this. Looking forward to seeing what other people say.

R1ngo

Smash Journeyman
to beat a MK who is spamming tornado... the best way is to dair him out of it, or shield grab it, there is a whole thread somewhere in here of moves that knock mk out of tornado

ckm

Smash Journeyman
to beat a MK who is spamming tornado... the best way is to dair him out of it, or shield grab it, there is a whole thread somewhere in here of moves that knock mk out of tornado
I thought he was asking for tornado vs tornado info...

Ringo gave good advice, if thats what you were looking for. I personally usually use Fsmash to hit an approaching tornado. If I expect it, I will sometimes just charge one up and when he comes in, smack him and hell go flying. Dair works nicely if you happen to be above the tornado, or can get above, but most good MK players wont start one up when you are high enough above them to dair. Usually its when you are right above them, or are on the ground (from my experience)

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
The highest MK. The priority of the Mach Tornado is something of a gradient. Down low has insane priority. Up high, not so much. Hit his tornado high and you'll knock him out of his. That's not to say you'll hit him or anything, but his will lose and die off.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Pressing B increases the priority, but at a certain point it doesn't help anymore, and the tornado begins to lose priority.

So how the tornado works is that it's weakest at the beginning and the end, and strongest at the middle. Think of the priority like a hill. It starts low, goes high, and sinks again.

As for the Tornado having different areas of priority, I think it isn't true. Any attack that goes through the tornado works anywhere on it. It's misleading because if you attack the bottom of the tornado, you see a bunch of clinks, but Metaknight doesn't get hurt. This is because his feet aren't actually there, and you're only attacking an empty hitbox. My list shows a diagram.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
The Tornado isn't one of Metaknight's higher priority attacks... Just slash him out of it. Tornado doesn't work against another Metaknight, or at least not my Metaknight.

M@v

Subarashii!
best thing to down is d-air him from above. Thats my main method. I dont usually try to do tornado wars.

Tin

Smash Journeyman
Lol, half the posts here either sugarcoats or completely ignores the OP's question.

I'll repost since I'm curious about this myself.

what are the properties of the tornado vs tornado battles, who has the priority and what causes this priority?? Thanks for the help

boom-man97

Smash Journeyman
this isn't tornado VS tornado info but,
if you just run away or shield it and dodge roll away you can just wait till the tornado ends and come in with an attack, it works fairly well if you can get the no-getting-caught-in-in-the-tornado part right XD

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
Lol, half the posts here either sugarcoats or completely ignores the OP's question.

I'll repost since I'm curious about this myself.
I answered this.

Pressing B increases the priority, but at a certain point it doesn't help anymore, and the tornado begins to lose priority.

So how the tornado works is that it's weakest at the beginning and the end, and strongest at the middle. Think of the priority like a hill. It starts low, goes high, and sinks again.

As for the Tornado having different areas of priority, I think it isn't true. Any attack that goes through the tornado works anywhere on it. It's misleading because if you attack the bottom of the tornado, you see a bunch of clinks, but Metaknight doesn't get hurt. This is because his feet aren't actually there, and you're only attacking an empty hitbox. My list shows a diagram.
Most of the time a newer tornado wins because it's in the process of gaining priority, whereas the older one is probably losing priority. If the two tornados are made very close to the same time, the new one will lose, because the first one will reach max priority sooner.

Top Bottom