• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Play Brawl Like a Man (Episode 2: The Man Tier)

Dairun

Smash Cadet
Episode 2: The Man Tier

FINALLY! The second episode of "How to Play Brawl Like a Man" is here.

Episode 2: The Man Tier?
In this video, we learn about the Man Tier and how a document that took years to develop could possibly exist months after Brawl's release. See the REAL reason the second video got delayed. Is Marth secretly the manliest character in the game? Is there actually a point to the Man Tier? The Advice from the Sages is Horrible... Dr. Horrible. Also, I rip off a joke from Brawltasm.

How to Play Brawl Like a Man is a Machinima/How-to series that teaches players the REAL way to play Brawl and any other video game. It turns out you've all been playing games wrong the whole time. Why play like a Pro with skills when you can play like a MAN? People who ignore this video, aren't worthy of this awesome and potent knowledge.

If this is your first How to Play Brawl Like a Man Video, it is highly recommended that you watch the first video. It's better than this one anyway.

Episode 1 Here

Warning: The following show contains extreme manliness. Pregnant women and the feint of heart should turn away. Taking this series too seriously may lead to no sense of humor, looking like an idiot, and anal leakage.

As always, comments are appreciated on youtube or on the forums here.

Also, Episode 3 will be about Olimar. After him, I only have a few characters planned out and I want to save most of them for later. So, if there's a character you specifically want to see, leave a vote in your post or comment.

K10

Smash Apprentice
Great video. I was quite disappointed when I saw Captain Falcon was number 2 to who I thought would be SOMEONE else. Gladly, I was wrong :D Keep up the good work!

Dairun

Smash Cadet
Great video. I was quite disappointed when I saw Captain Falcon was number 2 to who I thought would be SOMEONE else. Gladly, I was wrong :D Keep up the good work!
Yeah. As much as the hardcore Falcon fans will murder me for not putting the Captain and his Paunch at the top, I just couldn't go with something so obvious for the number 1 spot.

MetaRidleyX

Smash Apprentice
AWESOMENESS! Seriously, your videos are really good. I was kind of surprised to see jiggs as number 1, but my friend will be happy about that. Nearly all of the characters I use are relativly high on the man tier. Although I think that Lucas should be a bit higher. I've got a way of playing him that I think could qualify as manly.
Imagine what the game would be like if the Falcon Punch really was like that :O wiis everywhere would be exploding the moment you pressed the button.
Cant wait for the next episode, solimar!

Dairun

Smash Cadet
AWESOMENESS! Seriously, your videos are really good. I was kind of surprised to see jiggs as number 1, but my friend will be happy about that.
The funny thing is LESS people are surprised to see Jiggs up there than I would have thought.

IF4MF

Smash Rookie
See, the people I play are all the top 5 manliest. Ike, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Bowser, Ganondorf. In that order :D.

K10

Smash Apprentice
Okay. I got a question. Say I'm playing teams with my friend and I random a Marth. I COULD just kill myself but I'd be letting down my teammate. What should I do?

Dairun

Smash Cadet
Okay. I got a question. Say I'm playing teams with my friend and I random a Marth. I COULD just kill myself but I'd be letting down my teammate. What should I do?
Okay. This was actually a hard question, and I talked it over with the sages. This is pretty much a worst case scenario (save 2 marths from random). You essentially have 3 options.

1. If your partner is not a manly fighter himself, you have no choice but to delve into madness and actually try to play Marth as manly as you can.

2. If your partner is a manly player, he'll understand if you kill yourself once to compensate. You'll still have to try to be as Manly as possible, but your conscience will rest a bit easier.

3. If all the players are manly... call it a mulligan and try again.

Edit: and Mario's unmanly because Mario puts a saddle on his friends and rides them.

K10

Smash Apprentice
It actually happened to me once with just me as a Marth then once again where my teammate and I pulled a worse case scenario and got TWO Marths! I figured there is NO way I can play manly as a Marth so I just spammed forward smash....and won.

UnSaxon51

Smash Journeyman
NNID
UnSaxon51
3DS FC
0619-3482-4034
Switch FC
SW 1864 9526 0695
This is truly excellent. While I do not enjoy playing as any of the top manly characters, your rules of manliness are truly advice of the gods.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
I'm glad Ganon, DDD & Wario are high on the man tier list, but I do wonder:

-Why is Mario so low? He does have a manly stache.
-Roy is manlier than Ice Climbers. Both of them.
-You forgot the bosses, my silly man. Ridley surely is manly, no? He grinds Samus' face against a wall.

Can't wait for Solimar!

Dairun

Smash Cadet
I'm glad Ganon, DDD & Wario are high on the man tier list, but I do wonder:

-Why is Mario so low? He does have a manly stache.
-Roy is manlier than Ice Climbers. Both of them.
-You forgot the bosses, my silly man. Ridley surely is manly, no? He grinds Samus' face against a wall.

Can't wait for Solimar!
To answer your questions...

-Mario also puts a saddle on his friends and rides them.
-Yeah. Unfortunately being unplayable hurts their actual potential for the player. Otherwise, Roy would be way high on the list.
-The video editing software was throwing a fit at 50. Adding another 25 would've just broken it.

As for Solimar, I'm hoping I can get around to it soon. There's some new stuff I'm trying in this episode and class has started (including my needing to write 10 page papers every week). So, it's going to be a lot of work, but I also want to keep the series fresh. So, we'll see how things go.

Dairun

Smash Cadet
How is Peach almost manly?
You ever known someone who's tried to fight in a ballroom dress and heels? Let's just say it's not easy.

Sure, she abuses toad and turnips, but she also beats people with with frying pans, golf clubs, and her own ***. Hell, she even threw away the height on her second jump, because she's just that dedicated to manly style. I mean, when you think about it, she's restricted her style so much that you can't really say she's taking advantage of her opponents.

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Thanx for answering my first questions :D

Although:

1. Ness is...26 spots above Lucas?

2. Mr. Game & Watch TECHNICALLY uses minions in his Up+B (other firefighters), his goldfish bowl attack & his Turtle Smash...should he be lower?

3. Is Zelda manly for the same reasons you listed above for Peach?

4. How can I make Lucas more manly?

Sorry, just curious. If you don't have time to answer, it's fine too. These will be my LAST questions, I promise. I love your series though, keep it up ;)

KcajandPopo

Smash Cadet
Episode 2: The Man Tier

So, if there's a character you specifically want to see, leave a vote in your post or comment.
It would be hilarious and epic if you did a Marth one. (Before ever watching your videos, I thought of Marth as the least manly player lol)
EDIT: You could call it "How not to Play Like a Man" then say "use Marth!" and the vid would be like 5 secs...you could also just list the reasons he isn't manly. You're also underestimating how un-many fox and falco are- especially falco!

Dairun

Smash Cadet
Thanx for answering my first questions :D

Although:

1. Ness is...26 spots above Lucas?

2. Mr. Game & Watch TECHNICALLY uses minions in his Up+B (other firefighters), his goldfish bowl attack & his Turtle Smash...should he be lower?

3. Is Zelda manly for the same reasons you listed above for Peach?

4. How can I make Lucas more manly?

Sorry, just curious. If you don't have time to answer, it's fine too. These will be my LAST questions, I promise. I love your series though, keep it up ;)
1. Yeah. The subtle differences are huge here. First of all, Ness, personality wise, is WAY more manly than Lucas. Lucas trips and runs away. Ness just takes things head on. Secondly, Ness's back kick is essentially just a more manly move than Lucas' entire moveset (although, a few come close). Also, Ness has a Bee shirt and a Mr. Saturn Shirt.

2. True enough, but Mr. Game and Watch is actually high because of a few key moves. The big one is Judgement. The fact that the 9 is so rare makes it all the more manly when it comes up. He has a few other strong manly moves (like his down air key attack and the bucket. They're both just incredibly stylish killing moves). He'd actually be higher if it weren't for the sausage. In short, Mr. G&W just has a style to him.

3. Similar. She's higher because her move set is most based on her standing her ground and not moving as much from her spot. Her smashes are all around strong, and the high heel rivals the knee in ridiculousness. Din's fire can be pretty unmanly, but used right, it can also be incredibly manly. Really her only extremely unmanly move is down+b.

4. I actually got asked this question on youtube as well. I'll just quote what I said there.
"To answer the other question about Lucas, choosing not to use PSI is one solution. However, some of his manliest moves (like the up smash) are actually PSI moves. At the very least, I'd avoid the tripping taunt and his throw since he uses someone else to do it. Otherwise, it's simply a matter of trying to follow the 12 rules as best as you can."

Lucas essentially lost a LOT of place for personality and style, but these are easily changed. Basically, Lucas has little manly potential as a character, but he's also one of the easiest ones to turn around. Think like a man and you can play Lucas like a man. He's actually one of the few ones that far down the list that you don't have to do something drastic to remedy. Just make Lucas your own and the rest will follow.

Oh, and don't worry about asking questions. I wouldn't check back on the thread from time to time if I didn't enjoy answering them. Besides, knowing what people have questions about gives me a good gauge for what I need to change or clarify in the series. So, ask away as much as you want.

It would be hilarious and epic if you did a Marth one. (Before ever watching your videos, I thought of Marth as the least manly player lol)
EDIT: You could call it "How not to Play Like a Man" then say "use Marth!" and the vid would be like 5 secs...you could also just list the reasons he isn't manly. You're also underestimating how un-many fox and falco are- especially falco!
Similar thoughts have actually crossed my mind, and it's only a matter of time before the fans demand a Marth episode and an explanation on why he's unmanly. I've actually gotten a lot of interesting ways to approach it including having Marth host that particular episode, using Ike's color swap, or if I actually decide to go the route of giving the third way sages a minor plot as part of the beginning of episodes, having a major event happen on that episode. Although, I oddly hadn't thought of this possibility. I'll add it to the list. Maybe I just need to do all of them eventually and release a new one every 5 episodes or so.

As for Fox and Falco, they've got a lot going against them, but they do have SOME potential. Falco's definitely going more in the right direction than Fox though. Besides, you forget about the manliness of the Landmaster Tank.

Top Bottom