• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to recover from getting juggled?

Loops

Smash Apprentice
Olimar seems floaty for me and sometimes his d-smash doesn't always follow top priority and i tend to get juggled sometimes which causes problems for me, other wise i'm fine. How would i counter these juggles especially lucas's u-smash with the ice.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Olimar seems floaty for me and sometimes his d-smash doesn't always follow top priority and i tend to get juggled sometimes which causes problems for me, other wise i'm fine. How would i counter these juggles especially lucas's u-smash with the ice.
Hi there, mate. I had the same problems as you, at first. A good way to break out of a juggle is to be unpredictable. Do something weird that will make your opponent go "What the?". For example, while you're in the air, and your opponent is under you, try moving left and right while you're floating down. Your army of Pikmin will trail behind you, making a pretty cool zig-zag sort of design. Your opponent will not be able to predict where you will land as easily, and you will finally have an opportunity to get back on the ground and PUNISH! :)

Another tip is to use Olimar's whistle while in the air. Spam it! Move left and right while floating down, and throw in a couple of whistles. The idea is to confuse your opponent, and he will probably be thinking "What is he doing?". That's exactly what you need to get out of a juggle.

With Lucas, just don't go directly above him. Lucas has an arsenal of attacks that he could do to pulverize people above him. While in the air, try gliding down towards Lucas's side, and attack him diagonally with a Forward-Air attack.

I hope that helps.

Loops

Smash Apprentice
hmm, i confused so i use the whistle at random or do i super armor :S.
I'll try out the zig zag thing thanks for the tips though.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
hmm, i confused so i use the whistle at random or do i super armor :S.
I'll try out the zig zag thing thanks for the tips though.
No, no, mate, don't use the super armor frames of Olimar's whistle to get through a juggle. It could work, but it is just so risky. PLUS, you will get hurt anyways. Instead, randomly use Olimar's whistle. To you, it will be random. To your opponent, it will look like you are preparing for something. Your opponent will see the rainbow around Olimar, and if he hesitates for just one second, that is enough for you to get past the juggle.

scalpel

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-1322-7073-9341
Air dodge is your friend.
I agree, mate. Air-dodging is another alternative to escaping a juggle and safely landing on the ground. However, for some reason, air-dodging is very different in Brawl compared to Melee. It just doesn't seem as dependable. You could definitely try to air-dodge your opponent as he jumps up at you and is about to hit you. You can also play mind games, like in my original post, and escape the juggle by being clever, too, mate! :)

ecstatic

Smash Journeyman
Within 8,000 miles of you, unless you're in space.
The air-dodge isn't dependable? Excluding WD, I think the air dodge is massively improved in Brawl. It's so easy to escape from juggles using it, it's not even funny.

The only person it's hard to escape a juggle from is G&W, but that's because of his uair blowing you up in the air again. It doesn't do damage, though, so I wouldn't count it.

NC-Echo

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if I agree with this mentality that Olimar is easily juggled. You can air dodge out and you can whistle armor out of juggling you can also just DI away and usually get out of it.

really_calm

Smash Journeyman
I'm confused about air-dodges

how long are you invulnerable for? And are they the beginning frames onces you send the input to air-dodge? Or is there a lag before you actually dodge?

Nosferatu

Smash Rookie
I found that air dodging with Olimar is almost as good as pointless
seeing as most of the characters i would have a problem with juggling me,
such as pit,
have multiple strikes involved, and its hard to use the air dodge right
with such a small and limited amount of frames it gives you to dodge

the zig zag tactic has DEFINITELY helped me out, it tricks a lot of people into heading one way and you can zoom the other and hit them with his F-air easily

I havent thought about using the WAC as a fake out...
that seems really smart
but again
the zig zag idea has worked best for me, and
Air dodging, if you can pull it off, go ahead
but i wouldnt recommend it
=/

Capt. Oli

Smash Cadet
I found that air dodging with Olimar is almost as good as pointless
seeing as most of the characters i would have a problem with juggling me,
such as pit,
have multiple strikes involved, and its hard to use the air dodge right
with such a small and limited amount of frames it gives you to dodge

the zig zag tactic has DEFINITELY helped me out, it tricks a lot of people into heading one way and you can zoom the other and hit them with his F-air easily

I havent thought about using the WAC as a fake out...
that seems really smart
but again
the zig zag idea has worked best for me, and
Air dodging, if you can pull it off, go ahead
but i wouldnt recommend it
=/
Well, SAF has even less frames than air dodge.

Nosferatu

Smash Rookie
Originally posted by Capt. Oli
Well, SAF has even less frames than air dodge.
I think you may have misunderstood

I dont use the WAC in the air as a dodging mechanism
the only time i use it in the air is if i get shot with a projectile strong enough to knock me out
otherwise, using it in the air is pointless

i was saying that using it as a fake out, meaning using it while you are falling down
to trick your opponent, was a smart idea

not using it to dodge/stay still from getting hit

maybe i havent mastered the air dodge right but
i cant seem to get it to work sufficiently
xP

Top Bottom