• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Recover.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I thought we could get a recovery discussion going. Feel free to talk about how you recover or what you think on how I/other people recover.

Diddy has 3 'jumps' he can use off the stage. He has his midair jump, his side b, and his rocket barrels. The side-b is good for horizontal recovery and the up-b can be either horizontal or vertical. If you use the side-b kick, you won't be able to up-b afterwards, but you can still midair jump.

Unlike characters such as Mario or Ivysaur, Diddy doesn't need to save his midair jump. It is a good idea to save it though if you want more control over your recovery when you get close to the stage so if you go flying off the stage the best thing to do would be to side-b, mid air jump, and then rocket barrel if you need to. If you use your side-b first, you are giving up your slim chance to diddy hump your opponent (unless it's a character like MK who will get close to you off stage).

If you are forced to use your rocket barrel recovery you should ALWAYS go for the ledge unless you're opponent is on the ledge. If your opponent is on the ledge or you think your opponent will pivot drop onto it, then you should aim your barrels so only 1 of your barrel's hitbox is aimed for the ledge. Often times, this will either hit your opponent and you may get a stage spike with it if they stay on the ledge, if they roll back up, depending on your angling, the barrels can go almost parallel with the stage and you slide away on the stage while you're landing lag disapears, or if they do a quick get up either you will grab the ledge or you'll slide away again. This is pretty safe, you just have to work on angling your barrels for BARELY missing the stage to get little lag since you'll slide away.

Lets say that you are directly below the ledge and you're trying to recover. A good way to recover is to stall your barrels from firing by charging them so that your opponent loses their invincibility frames, but be careful because they can predict this and wait until you're right at the edge of death and jump on it.

The best way to DI for Diddy is to Smash DI to the opposite side of the direction that you were sent in. From here you should either bair and then midair jump as fast as possible. The bair will knock you out of your hitstun quickly and then you can start recovering with your midair jump. If you don't have a midair jump, use your Side-b. If you have a banana in your hand, it's even better because instead of bairing you should throw the banana in any direction (forward would be best because you might hit your opponent) and midair jump (side if you don't have it). You can live even longer which is great for Diddy players because we tend to die fast.

Discuss.

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
some diddys use side b THen the mid air jump. others use their mid air jump then the side b which is better?

Pegachris

Smash Apprentice
side b then mid jump is better. Its also good to save your mid jump whenever possible.

Also lately people have been trying to gimp diddy's upb recovery alot more so what I try to do is vary my charge time when im charging my upb. It tricks the opponent and makes it harder to be gimped.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
I use b foward, reverse b to the right, jump, b down, b up onto the ledge. For an example of what i mean watch this video at 4:34
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_-5AKzfhlc

Things you need to know about diddy's recovery.

1. Make sure you know what angles your b up can go and how long you charge will make a difference. For those who don't know, Diddy can go under FD.

2. Learn how to use the b foward effectivly and learn the timing for when you can push a button and not do the b foward kick.

3. Learn how to reverse b and use banana's off the edge.

4. If people try to gimp you, do your b up quickly or just don't do it near the ledge. Mix it up with banana's and peanut popper gun so you can grab the ledge.

5. If people try edgehoging your b up don't be predictable with your b up and charge it longer or shorter.

Diddy Kong is very hard to gimp when handled by a good player unless its either MK, Jigglypuff, or Kirby.

I mained Jigglypuff in Melee and I never had to worry about recovering until I started maining Diddy in Brawl and i've got a good idea on it.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Don't forget the reverse charged peanut gun. gives you a little push backwards, so if you reverse it you gets some momentum towards the stage (of course). Decent if you're hit high/DI up when you're knocked offstage lol

Dzan

Smash Rookie
The best way to DI for Diddy is to Smash DI to the opposite side of the direction that you were sent in. From here you should either bair and then midair jump as fast as possible.
side b then mid jump is better. Its also good to save your mid jump whenever possible.
So which is better to survive horizontal knockback? the side-B or mid-air jump?

Pegachris

Smash Apprentice
Diddy can go under FD.
I have a replay from 3 days ago on Smashville. My upB was gimped by Lucario's Dair and then he grabbed the ledge, so quickly I decide to go under the stage and return to the other ledge.

sideb + jump + then upb.

Was pretty amazing at the time. Wouldnt have been able to do it with no midair jump saved..

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
So which is better to survive horizontal knockback? the side-B or mid-air jump?
id say the side-B but probably not by much, however this is the first move you want to do in recovering because whereas you recover both the side-band up-b every time you get hit, if you waste the mid-air jump you dont get it back even if you are hit. Therefore, save it for until youre in the clear.

Player-1

Smash Legend
When you're sent flying off the stage at like...140% by a Lucario Fsmash then you want to bair and midair jump. If you're like at 60% damamge but you're still away from the stage then you should side b then midair.

Fluke

Smash Journeyman

Also lately people have been trying to gimp diddy's upb recovery alot more so what I try to do is vary my charge time when im charging my upb. It tricks the opponent and makes it harder to be gimped.

It also prevents you trying to accidentally flip kick when trying to get the up b out of the side b ASAP. I usually mid jump-> up b , or side b, mid jump, up b.

Also, don't forget the walljump/wallcling for stages like FD,Battle Field and Yoshi. It mixes up the timing of you getting back to the stage, so they don't edgehog at the right time for the invincility frames against your recovery.

mastermiind

Smash Apprentice
i alwasy try to do my back air 2 slow myself down then i do my forward b to stop me freom flying back anyfurther it works very well at high damage

and if im at mid amouts i back air fastfal then mid air jump and fro there i will side-B and then upB if neccesary

DFEAR

Smash Hero
reverse peanut gun ftw O_o? well for vertical knockback i always dair into an airdodge for horizontal i usually do a shmid-airjump then reverse peanut gun then side b o-o then up+b when i need to.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Yea only use midair jump when you are at high percentage after a bair. But remember to DI correctly. Or else you just used up your midjump for no reason. But for any other thing use your side b first. You can control your DI with your midair jump better so it's harder for your opponent to predict where you are going. I like this guide P1.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
The simple idea about Diddy's recovery is to side-B and charge his rocket barrel. It's simple yet effective. If so use your air jump and then follow that procedure. Note that one must not side-B while they are very close to the lip/edge of the stage as that will cause them to go right under it without a chance for recovery. As a result the fact that his Rocket Barrel's angle of impact can be changed so we could use that to make his recovery more efficient. However using this will cause him to go to the side and downwards more than travelling upwards thus it is not the most reliable solution. Use side-B before the Rocket barrel only when far out from the stage. I can't really say anything else

Player-1

Smash Legend
The simple idea about Diddy's recovery is to side-B and charge his rocket barrel. It's simple yet effective. If so use your air jump and then follow that procedure. Note that one must not side-B while they are very close to the lip/edge of the stage as that will cause them to go right under it without a chance for recovery. As a result the fact that his Rocket Barrel's angle of impact can be changed so we could use that to make his recovery more efficient. However using this will cause him to go to the side and downwards more than travelling upwards thus it is not the most reliable solution. Use side-B before the Rocket barrel only when far out from the stage. I can't really say anything else
Yes...that would have been helpful back in March.

The Sex Puma

Smash Lord
reverse peanut gun ftw O_o? well for vertical knockback i always dair into an airdodge for horizontal i usually do a shmid-airjump then reverse peanut gun then side b o-o then up+b when i need to.
ive seen some diddy's use pivot peanut gun for a recovery lawl

TreK

Is "that guy"
Huh is it true that side B can be smashed to gain horizontal distance ? I read it like 5 months ago but i don't really use it :/

Top Bottom