• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Shield Peach's D-smash

PCwizCube

Smash Cadet
I'd imagine this question has been addressed before, but I couldn't find it through searching so I apologize if I'm asking again :/

So almost every time I shield a Peach's D-smash, I get shield poked. And especially since Marth has a bad shield, it just happens a lot. What should I be doing to avoid being shield poked?

I understand there's this concept of "Shield DI", where, if I am in shield-stun from a move and I am holding a direction on the control stick, I will move in that direction while in shield-stun. So should I simply be just Shield DI'ing away during a peach D-smash to avoid getting shield poked?

But if I shield DI away, does that affect the angle of my shield? So if I am holding away, does that make my shield angle away from Peach, thus making it easier to get shield poked?

I would think if I angle my shield towards Peach and downwards, then it is less likely to get shield poked. But if I hold inwards and down towards peach during a D-smash, that will make me Shield DI inwards towards Peach, correct? Is that optimal to be able to be able to punish Peach afterwards? (I feel like not, because my shield would take every hit of the D-smash).

So it seems like the optimal way to avoid getting shield poked by Peach, is to first (before the d-smash hits), to angle my shield towards Peach and downwards, and while I'm in shield-stun, to shield DI away? Is this the optimal thing to do? I feel like if I had time to angle my shield inwards and downwards though, I wouldn't need to shield in the first place (like I could just roll away or something. I also don't normally angle my shield when shielding though, so let me know if that statement was just me being dumb).

I remember Mang0 having some commentary about his shielding in a match vs Armada from like 2013 (he's also really good at shielding Peach's D-smash I've noticed) but I didn't really understand what he was really saying. If anyone could provide some advice on how to best shield Peach's D-smash it would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

Sycorax

Smash Ace
So should I simply be just Shield DI'ing away during a peach D-smash to avoid getting shield poked?
yes
But if I shield DI away, does that affect the angle of my shield?
no because you're shield locked
Is that optimal to be able to be able to punish Peach afterwards?
you can wavedash grab afterwards, but the timing is tight, or sh tipper fair

Simply angling the shield downward before being hit is usually enough to avoid a stab if you also shield SDI and ASDI away after being hit. You could even angle it in if you want, or down and in.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
If you shield DI out you can get the opportunity to act while Peach still has hitboxes to spare.

Ironically I can play Game and Watch vs Peach and the move that will NEVER shield stab me is dsmash. It's one of those really good moves you have to acknowledge exists, and prepare counterplay to beat it every time and make it stop being good. That way, you force the opponent to start doing something else. Or lose.

Just move out of the way before you're in a position to have to shield the dsmash, if possible. Or hit or grab Peach before she's in range, or gets to use it.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
Also, because the hitboxes last a while, if you want, you could try forcing a clank with a slightly weaker move. If the attack you use is weaker, but not by more than 8%, you can act sooner than Peach. You you could clank, dtilt, gain ground, and potentially punish Peach mashing out another dsmash if she thinks you just entered a clanking war.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
For example, unstale tipper dtilt (10%) on Peach outer dsmash (unstale, 14%) lets you act 4 frames before Peach.

Unstale tipper jab (6%) on unstale outer dsmash lets you act 7 frames sooner. If you can somehow only hit the inside hits you can use weaker moves to get even more frame advantage.

Last edited:

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
For example, unstale tipper dtilt (10%) on Peach outer dsmash (unstale, 14%) lets you act 4 frames before Peach.

Unstale tipper jab (6%) on unstale outer dsmash lets you act 7 frames sooner. If you can somehow only hit the inside hits you can use weaker moves to get even more frame advantage.
Nothing relating to the actual thread, but please try to avoid multi-posting like this. Just a forum rule. If you have stuff you've gotta add, just edit it in.

ridemyboat

Smash Apprentice
yes

no because you're shield locked

you can wavedash grab afterwards, but the timing is tight, or sh tipper fair

Simply angling the shield downward before being hit is usually enough to avoid a stab if you also shield SDI and ASDI away after being hit. You could even angle it in if you want, or down and in.
What do you mean by shield locking? Is there further reading somewhere on how it works?

Sycorax

Smash Ace
What do you mean by shield locking? Is there further reading somewhere on how it works?
I'm just refering the the fact that the hits of Peach's dsmash come so fast that the subsequent hit of dsmash hits your shield before shieldstun is over. This makes it so you can't act between hits of dsmash.

Top Bottom