• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to spike MK from grab release

TKD

Smash Lord
Warning: If you haven't been buffering your actions for awhile, this'll be very difficult to learn. People that are used to buffering their dash will get it down quickly.

A short time ago, I found out that grab release spike can be connected consistently on MK.

These are the requirements:
- A dash must be buffered from grab release.
- You must be hold all the way forward since before Marth is able to move, so he dashes full speed from the start.
- You must hold forward all the way through, so Marth maintains all dash momentum possible and jumps forward. This means you must input the spike with jump button + C-stick down while holding forward.

Tips:
- The buffer window begins very slightly before MK reaches the top of his release loop (the "n" path he follows when released), so as soon as MK's at the top of the loop, I like to tap forward twice as quickly as possible. Learning to time the buffer so soon allows you to hold forward the second time in time for Marth to dash fullspeed.
Buffering the dash and holding forward soon enough for Marth to dash fullspeed and reach MK is the difficult part. Master this and the timing for the spike is easy. As long as Marth dashes full speed from the start, he will reach mk in time to spike him.
- If you have regular controls, change your finger position so can buffer your dair. I use my middle finger to press "Y", and my index finger to press the c-stick downwards. MikeHaze calls this "clawing" it. You can also roll your hand a bit to press "X" with the lower part of your index finger, and press c-stick down with your thumb. I dropped this latter technique because it requires more concentration for me. If you have L, R, or Z set as "Jump", then you don't need to change your finger position for the spike.

WAYS TO PRACTICE:
- Control MK with a turbo controller. Set "grab" to turbo. This will make MK buffer his air-dodge and stand up quickly with a wake-up attack so you can try again.
- Have a practice partner that buffers his air-dodge (least recommended. it's a waste of time for your partner, and you'll probably need awhile and more than one session to get this down 100%).
- Without turbo controller and while alone, either buffer MK's air-dodge using your feet, or go buy a turbo controller. Any piece of garbage will do: you won't use it to play.

Summary (without covering the technical aspect or giving tips):
- Prepare to react to the release.
- Buffer your dash as soon as possible and hold all the way forward since before Marth can move.
- Input your buffered dair without while holding forward so Marth jumps forward.

To spike MK onto offstage: Marth slides forward a bit during jump start-up. You need enough running space (have grabbed MK far away enough from the ledge) to have room for this slide to happen. [Don't worry: Marth's tippers can't be SDIed anyway.] (Note: turns out they can, and there's probably more time to do it. SDI's effect is smaller on tippers though)

So yeah; Marth kills MK at 50 now. Do it if it's a given (if you grab him at the right spots). Maybe force it with a pivot grab, but that's it: don't let the idea of doing it split your concentration. The very fact that your opponent has to avoid these spots will limit him. And remember: it can be done consistently. It's all in the dash.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Can someone post images of the buffer window? Something like this would be helpful

but even an image of where it stops and ends would be nice.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
good thread TKD.

The buffer point is actually also recognisable just before Marth's sword reaches his side (legs), as its kinda above his head just as he releases someone.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
Forgot to say it last time, but thank you TKD. This thread was incredibly helpful.

Since Im just learning this I thought Id post a major pitfall to avoid on buffering the dash for anyone else practicing as well. It was briefly mentioned but I wanted to expand on it.

About buffering dash and continuing to run
"-flick the direction you want to run, then press and hold that direction again
once your character starts running."

From Michael Hey's blog on buffering. Flick the direction to buffer the dash, and then hold the direction after you start dashing to keep running. It's the equivilant of dashing and then running on the ground, but when you have to buffer it its more difficult. If you try to hold the direction through the buffer youll just end up walking. i.e. tapping and holding during the buffer wont work, and double tapping too fast/soon also will not work. Since your dash animation stays out for awhile and is the same speed regardless of the analog stick position, you have awhile to move the analog stick in the direction you wish to run after the buffered dash animation starts.

LooftWaffles

Smash Journeyman
Dont know what you mean by frame advantage, Marth has +20 on the initial release iirc. Theres a 2 frame window for the spike to be successful.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
are you sure he didn't just DI into the stage?

that being said dair tech chasing metaknight is sexy

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
consdering what you said...

why marth's tippers can't be SDI'd?

also, is not that difficult with a "normal" use of the controller (without clawing), as TKD said "it's all in the dash".
I found that you have to keep runing after the initial dash animation just a little more and then hit with a short hopped D-air, since I figured that out, I can do it almost 100% on tournaments.

C.J.

Smash Master
I remember Shaya saying he couldn't get SH to work in frame advance and that full hopping was necessary because it lets you accelerate horizontally quicker than a SH.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
sh is possible I think, just theres even less leeway. I may be wrong though. I don't recall exactly stating it like that.

Hairing (which I thought on stage dair was not possible) came prior to the realisation that you could do it, just need to be accelerating forward as much as possible during the jump.

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
maybe my way of doing it has less frame window?

anyway, it works ok for me and maybe it's a better way instead of clawing, who knows?

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
nope, NTSC

by the way, are there significant differences (if there are) between NTSC and PAL versions?

Top Bottom