• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to win at Rock Paper Scissors

okiyama

Smash Ace
The first deck I ever made was a burn deck and I bought each card individually from a store and I thought that the max # of a certain card per deck you could have was 3, not 4 so the deck sucked a ton of ***.
Good for a first shot though.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
My first deck was a rift elemental deck. I actually won a tournament with it! And it was a local tournament with players that I figured out, are like. Bad players. One guy didn't counter my arc blades, then he realized. Oh shiz, I just took 18 damage from two cards :)

Then I went to dragonstorm, and haven't gone back yet.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I agree with the 'memorize a list' method.

The first deck I ever made was a burn deck and I bought each card individually from a store and I thought that the max # of a certain card per deck you could have was 3, not 4 so the deck sucked a ton of ***.
Good for a first shot though.
My first deck was a rift elemental deck. I actually won a tournament with it! And it was a local tournament with players that I figured out, are like. Bad players. One guy didn't counter my arc blades, then he realized. Oh shiz, I just took 18 damage from two cards :)

Then I went to dragonstorm, and haven't gone back yet.
First deck I ever bought was an 8th edition green deck.
Rhox is like, my favorite Card ever. 5/5 green. Costs 5 to play, 3 mana to regenerate, and the ability 'If Rhox were to become blocked, you may choose to deal all of that damage to the defending player instead' - Best ability ever. Give that mofo blanchwood armour ftw.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I ams very lucky - I somehow manage to not lose much at this game.

I see scissors so many times, is is crazy. I never see anyone start with paper. I personally start with rock.

EDIT: Every sentence except this in my post started with I...:ohwell:

Grunt

Smash Master
I never bought any cards, but I know how to play magic.
My friend's deck consisted of a bunch of elves that gave me a crap-ton of forests, then some other thing which turned them all Red to power fireballs. I don't think I ever lost out of the 3 times I played it.

Ojanya

Smash Ace
I read about a big RPS tournament (yes they really have those) and everyone came in with their crazy strategies and mindgames, but you know who won? The girl who always picked randomly based on something outside either players' control. That means every single strategy invented for rock-paper-scissors is a losing one, and random chance wins (talk about a competitive game).

Your avatar wins.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Lately I have been getting into vintage, which some people call is like RPS, but is so skill intensive.

I <3 Magic

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
I have a friend who always start off with rock. Figured it out since 4th grade and he still hasn't figured out he does it I always laugh when we I win what ever we are playing for.

What happens if you and your opponent tie? will they lead with the same thing? switch to what would loose to his previous thing hoping you try to beat it? or go with what would beat his previous choice?

.Marik

is a social misfit
This game is random. I have no strategies, and no advanced techniques. Because this game is completely based on one-second thoughts, and luck.

So yeah. I let the Brawling do the...... "selecting" of winners. x]

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Game theory says random choice is the best.

However game theory assumes that everyone else is at least thinking to try to win.

The very discussion of strategies proves that people don't. A strategy has a counterstrategy. That's why random is the best, but as long as other people are using strategies, your best option is to try to counter.

Also Rhox costs six. :rolleyes:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
He costs 0 with mind's desire :D
I just got my full foil playset for extended :D

Genoisdabest

Smash Cadet
I would go to an EXTREME ROCK PAPER SCISSORS tournament.

That is, (GO WATCH KAIJI, NEWBS), each player gets 12? cards, 4 of each (Rock, Paper, Scissors), and plays matches against people and have a 'life bar' of 3 points which they bet in matches.

When a card is used, it's removed from the players hand forever.

Epic mindgames ensue.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Game theory says random choice is the best.

However game theory assumes that everyone else is at least thinking to try to win.

The very discussion of strategies proves that people don't. A strategy has a counterstrategy. That's why random is the best, but as long as other people are using strategies, your best option is to try to counter.

Also Rhox costs six. :rolleyes:
But wouldn't being random be a strategy in way? Since a strategy is plan for winning, and your plan for winning is to be random.

th0rn

Smash Lord
Use a watch, and when it's time to throw down... if your second hand is from 12-4 throw rock, 5-8 throw scissor, or 9-12 throw paper. That's how some guy won a large tourney.

BladeRadio0

Smash Apprentice
It's crazy how the seemingly simpilist thing can become one of superb complexity... Mind games are the best...

GofG

Smash Champion
Rock Paper Scissors becomes incredibly intense and competitive when you make the following adjustment:

Winning with Rock gives you 10 points.
Winning with Paper gives you 2 points.
Winning with Scissors gives you 1 point.

The best option on a per-round basis is to choose rock every time, as you will win 1/3 of the time, as will your opponent, and you will gain 10 to his 2. However, he'll soon learn to just pick paper every time, so you have to switch to scissors, he'll pick rock and get 10 points...

The yomi layers go on and on :D

Top Bottom