• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

DippnDots

Feral Youth
I used to love poke stadium as ganon, but it's definitely not somewhere i'd go against a sheik or fox. I've always seemed to have luck on that stage when playing against falcons.

SiD

Smash Master
For some reason, I never even think to full hop aerial. Thanks Linguini

What's a good way to not get locked down by Falco's lasers/pillaring?

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Linguini, we need to get into a tournament and team together for real, it would be so fun loll. Especially when both of us are under the influence... At pound 4, it was amazing lol. We just knew what would happen all the time.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Linguini, we need to get into a tournament and team together for real, it would be so fun loll. Especially when both of us are under the influence... At pound 4, it was amazing lol. We just knew what would happen all the time.
Lol Come down here to FL Kage, so we can MM. I've always wanted to G-dorf ditto you. :laugh: I'm where the challenge is.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
hmm. i was also contemplating going to GAMME; PP and a few other NC guys are going, and i was thinking about riding with them. i'd really like to get some matches in with a lot of you guys to see where i stand in the ganon community.

even though ganon dittos are kind of weird...at least to me anyway...

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
yeah, i know. i'd much rather show myself through tournament matches of a high level. i gotta start by moving up the ranks in NC. i've made so much progress these last 6 months, and i hope i can just let it all show at my first big tournament (be it GAMME, APEX, or Airship, whenever it happens).

i just wanna see where all the advice i've learned and try to put into my game would stack up against competition outside of NC.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
thats what pp does lol. his ganon is so funny. his falco is so...not funny :(

the more i watch linguini's vids against him and shiz, the more i realize how much work he does to stay out of his shield. its like you almost never take two straight lasers to the shield; youd rather get hit trying to uair oos than to get pinned in shield for up close shield pressure.

it always seems so much easier to just stay in shield...untill the falco's shine-dairing behind your shield and your only option is to roll away even though the falco can easily react to the roll away and then combo you until you finally tech something correctly while not on a platform.

i'll try to never get caught in my shield again...

spider_sense

Smash Champion
Nah it's not that bad Kage. lol I can definitely tell when Guini's trying. He's trying when we play. But yeah man, I want to play another good Ganon main to see where I stand.

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
im way better at ganon dittos than i am at probably any other ganon matchup

i remember when i first played you kage i pretty much went toe to toe with you in some ganon dittos, then thought, "this guys overrated", then you beat my falcon even worse like 3 times in a row

and spidersense couldnt handle this ganon even though he wrecked the **** out of my falco, who i used to beat everybody else there

spider_sense

Smash Champion
im way better at ganon dittos than i am at probably any other ganon matchup

i remember when i first played you kage i pretty much went toe to toe with you in some ganon dittos, then thought, "this guys overrated", then you beat my falcon even worse like 3 times in a row

and spidersense couldnt handle this ganon even though he wrecked the **** out of my falco, who i used to beat everybody else there
Lmao I'll play you again for real. MM $2?

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
how should i practice at home by myself? what should i practice?
are you asking for general practice or character specific practice?
as in
general - how to wd, lcancel, incorporate
char specific - char specific

BigD!!!

Smash Lord
i mean yeah i'll mm you for $2 but we live really far apart dude

your turn to come to me in cincinnati, and lets be honest, cincinnati is not worth it

SwizzyUK

Smash Journeyman
swizzy, any vids of your ganon? i'm pretty interested to see what your ganon looks like.
I uploaded one to show you ages ago, and meant to get at least two more up but it seems to be taking me forever so I'll just link you to the one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwE3FFzL-XE

That was my first or second day playing smash in 6 months, so I'm a little better than that (for some reason I couldn't ledgehop that day) other than that though, that's me :)

Question for you guys: can anyone link me to some good threads on techchasing (Specifically falco and captain falcon), or just give me advice. I struggle a lot with those two matchups

Divinokage

Smash Legend
well I cant link videos from work but I have some interesting matches vs Falcons... You can go watch Me vs Mango Falcon, Darkrain, Hax$. Just type in on youtube. 1st to 3rd match vs Hax is probably how the matchup works normally, its so funny. =P

spider_sense

Smash Champion
I uploaded one to show you ages ago, and meant to get at least two more up but it seems to be taking me forever so I'll just link you to the one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwE3FFzL-XE

That was my first or second day playing smash in 6 months, so I'm a little better than that (for some reason I couldn't ledgehop that day) other than that though, that's me :)

Question for you guys: can anyone link me to some good threads on techchasing (Specifically falco and captain falcon), or just give me advice. I struggle a lot with those two matchups
Yeah there's a thread entirely dedicated to techchase, it even provides gifs and demonstrations for each given scenario provided by Magus.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=256382

studly

Smash Ace
im sure this has been asked like a million times probbly even by me before.

but hell ill ask anyway. whats the best way to do ganons rising Up air?
best way to space it against Falco or Fox?

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I would say to space SH Fair > Jab and quickly follow up with retreating SH Uair against Fox. He should be afraid of the Fair Jabs and will try to approach with a full hop Dair. That's where he gets hit by the Uair. Your goal is to force Fox to approach by pressuring him towards the edge with the Fairs. If you don't space the Fair right, you'll be punished so just practice.

Against Falco Full hop Uair out of shield. This will keep you over his lasers and if he was approaching behind a laser, he'll be hit by the Uair.

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
So is there a vid or gif file of Ganon's grab range. I sware i do perfect sheild pressure on ganons, but then they still grab me out of nairs/dairs (as falco).

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
I've fought some good peaches, but never one as good as Xelic. He was 3 and 4 stocking everyone at the table except for this guy called Yu.

I just need to play him more and I'll be ready.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
I discovered a new technique vs Fox. It's not a sure thing and is very risky, but it is fun to do in friendlies.

Ok, so this fox player is waveshine happy. I figured out that if I start tapping jump just before he gets me off the stage, most of the time I'll get a ledge cancel from shine stun and then I can go immediately into a Fair. I hit him with it twice for the kill. He was shocked, haha.

Of course this doesn't work if the waveshine perfectly.
i'm not really one for reposting, but i noticed nobody really discussed this. I find it really interesting, but i've yet to get a hold if a waveshine style fox to try it on.

also, i played against a falcon yesterday ($mike, for those who know NC Smash at all), and although i took a few matches off him at one point, he seemed to turn it on after that and completely lost me. Although i've shut down all nair approaches with cc jab of the the first or second hit of the nair, he can still almost freely approach with a well spaced dair (that, if i shield, i can't grab him because he'll land behind me), or knee's, which at really low percent, i can cc jab if he messes up the l cancel -> grab, or grabs, which get me combo'd quickly. Sometimes i could get a lot of retreating bairs, and those same bairs would even trade favorably sometimes, but generally, after i won those few matches, i couldn't quite get those hits in.

so i want to know, is there anything you can do about that kind of dair approach that passes you? i'd try reverse up B out of shield, but usually when he lands, he keeps running in the direction and starts dash dancing at a safe distance until he can run through me again.

Are there any suggestions on getting back onto the stage from the ledge? It took me a long time, but i found that a simple ledgestand under 100% really did me some good. if he came at me, a jab or a tilt came out before his attack, often times. any other suggestions are welcome

At what percent can you stay grounded after falcons side B? cause cc jabbing through those saved me from a few combos, but not many. i'd like to know when that can and can't happen, and when i need to just DI away/shield when i see the flaming fist.

How to I put falcon on platforms? I realize now with the matches i won, they were strongly due to techchases on platforms. once falcon is above me, the kills just take care of themselves; a simple aerial puts you at an edgeguarding position. But all things considered, i'm not sure how to put him there on purpose. I'm guessing mid% uthrows, along with the well placed uair oos, but a more experienced and seasoned smasher could probably give me something more to try to implement.

I recognize that this is a lot, but i tried to be as specific as possible, and i've tried to show that i've been thinking about the matchup, and have even tried to supply half-answers where i think i might be on the right track, but just need some blanks filled in. I'm not expecting instant answers from all you top level ganons, but i do hope you take this as a serious question that can spark some good falcon discussion.

Cuz i'm good at learning, and tired of losing. :chuckle:

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
indeed, i was planning on finding one of them at billfest, be it foxy, karn, spoon if he goes, or moophobia would be sure to try to shine me off the edge as well. NC has plenty of options lol.

haha i bet gofg's fox would too. or joshs...man basically all of NC can waveshine like a boss except me :(

Linguini

Smash Master
also, i played against a falcon yesterday ($mike, for those who know NC Smash at all), and although i took a few matches off him at one point, he seemed to turn it on after that and completely lost me. Although i've shut down all nair approaches with cc jab of the the first or second hit of the nair, he can still almost freely approach with a well spaced dair (that, if i shield, i can't grab him because he'll land behind me), or knee's, which at really low percent, i can cc jab if he messes up the l cancel -> grab, or grabs, which get me combo'd quickly. Sometimes i could get a lot of retreating bairs, and those same bairs would even trade favorably sometimes, but generally, after i won those few matches, i couldn't quite get those hits in.

so i want to know, is there anything you can do about that kind of dair approach that passes you? i'd try reverse up B out of shield, but usually when he lands, he keeps running in the direction and starts dash dancing at a safe distance until he can run through me again.

Are there any suggestions on getting back onto the stage from the ledge? It took me a long time, but i found that a simple ledgestand under 100% really did me some good. if he came at me, a jab or a tilt came out before his attack, often times. any other suggestions are welcome

At what percent can you stay grounded after falcons side B? cause cc jabbing through those saved me from a few combos, but not many. i'd like to know when that can and can't happen, and when i need to just DI away/shield when i see the flaming fist.

How to I put falcon on platforms? I realize now with the matches i won, they were strongly due to techchases on platforms. once falcon is above me, the kills just take care of themselves; a simple aerial puts you at an edgeguarding position. But all things considered, i'm not sure how to put him there on purpose. I'm guessing mid% uthrows, along with the well placed uair oos, but a more experienced and seasoned smasher could probably give me something more to try to implement.

I recognize that this is a lot, but i tried to be as specific as possible, and i've tried to show that i've been thinking about the matchup, and have even tried to supply half-answers where i think i might be on the right track, but just need some blanks filled in. I'm not expecting instant answers from all you top level ganons, but i do hope you take this as a serious question that can spark some good falcon discussion.

Cuz i'm good at learning, and tired of losing. :chuckle:
To deal with those dairs, or any of falcon's aerials for that matter, a well timed uair will def. do the trick. If your shield is already up and he goes past you,throwing out a dair or bair oos is never a bad idea, even if he gets away.

Ganon has a a lot of options when on the ledge so don't restrict yourself to one method. Wavelanding from the ledge is usually the most safe and effective option, but the other(get up attack,normal get up,ledgehop,etc.) ones can be effective depending on the situation and how well your opponent is reading you when you are on the ledge.

As for getting falcon on platforms, thats kind of hard to give guidance on; but in my case I usually get it with uthrows. Aerialing once they are on the platform is great, personally, I like to switch it up and waveland techase because it always works and looks mad sexy.

Magus420

Smash Master
i'm not really one for reposting, but i noticed nobody really discussed this. I find it really interesting, but i've yet to get a hold if a waveshine style fox to try it on.
You could also try fastfalling right as you slip off the edge. If you time it right you can get the edge no matter how close to the edge you were on the last shine. Even though you're still stunned you can use air control, FF, and grab the edge after getting shined off the platform. Hold towards Fox on the last shine then as you're about to leave the ground quickly flick down&towards or down to FF then back to holding towards to get some air control towards the edge and to allow an edge grab so you don't FF past it.

If you FF too late or don't let go of down fast enough expect to die though since you'll go pretty far down before you can jump. You're allowed to FF a bit late and still get it when you're not directly at the tip of the edge when you get shined since you slip off at a slower speed.

If there's a bit of space between you and the edge on the last one (like a little less than a body width), you can just hold towards Fox/the stage and you'll grab it though you probably want to FF ledgegrab anyway so they don't catch you in time.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
whoa...that fastfall stuff looks pretty awesome. i think i've done it a few times trying to CC the shine, but i didn't know it was something that could be done with any real timing.

thanks for that knowledge, magus

Top Bottom