• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It might just give you a visual cue that subconsciously makes you react faster, seeing as going from any aerial's animation to the regular falling animation is a quick and jarring switch and thus much easier to notice.
Nah, it's really not about reaction time. You have to have inward DI throughout the entire DJ regardless or you won't be able to land on the platform/waveland. Something with the edge cancel seems to widen the actual window where you can hit R and waveland though (when wavelanding off the ledge, you have to hit R at the peak height of your dj, but with the edge cancel, you can waveland by hitting R one frame before your dj hits its peak height, seemingly), and I think that is either from a slight increase in height that the dj sees, or, it could be that you have less outward momentum to counter when you edge cancel an aerial (when you waveland offstage, in contrast, you are quickly going offstage and this could be why inward DI throughout the entire dj is essential to getting the waveland). Not exactly sure though.

Upke

Smash Journeyman
So Kirby is better than Ganon. I just used Kirby as a CP against Sheik just because, and I was able to win a few from pure jankiness/unknown matchup.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Ganon used to win matches the same way haha. If enough people played Kirby that matchup wouldbe halfway mastered by average player also. Sheik isn't impossible for Ganon.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Sheik vrs Ganon is bad, but it's still fun. If you get the grab it should be a free stock. Your combos on her are usually til death. I'd still rather play YL against her than be Ganon if I can help it. Even though the match up is the same I can at least try and circle camp Sheik into doing stupid stuff.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Next tournament I go to (at this point it's looking like it will be Impulse for Melee) I'm going to get KK to play me in some Sheik vs Ganon friendlies.

For the experience. And the challenge.

Superspright

Smash Lord
Chain grab him. Your best bet is to just get a grab. If he gets a grab he doesn't even need to chain grab you to kill you. If you get a grab you can turn it into a stock. Good luck.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
But if you learn SDI.. you can avoid all standard combos. No matter what move you get hit by, you can smash your joystick away from her, she can't follow up. Actually this works for every matchup, learn to smash your joystick!

evan56780

Smash Rookie
Wow its been a while since i posted in here. So like schools done and i'm back in Toronto been going out to weekly friendlies and I find my self going up against people like unkown and other really really good smashers. I can usually take like 1-2 stocks off the guys but I just don't know how to deal with there pressure its crazy. Just wondering how I can deal with it using Ganon. Like I realize I just need to get better just looking for some pointers.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Well, what kage said. Obviously sdi is amazing, I have trouble with it tho... You said you frequently play unknown? Again, fox is one of my worse matchups, but I say just don't approach. Like at all. Just spam uairs, retreat fairs, tilt and jab... Just try to keep him from getting all up in yo ****, that fox pressue is too much for ganon to handle. Kage plays the fox matchup kind of aggressively, but he's really good... If I ever approach I get punished, your best bet is to bait him into throwing out a move and punishing it.

Oh and if he pushes down b you're gonna lose.

evan56780

Smash Rookie
ahahaha like not often just in friendlies and thanks ill try to keep that stuff in mind against fox's

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
I chaingrab sheik in friendlies sometimes. I got to play amsah at pound 5 (after **** load of ganon dittos with linguini), he was about to 2 stock me at low% but he whiffed a fair at the end of a combo and I was able to uair out. Got the grab and took another stock before he got me. Had I not cg' d him, there's no way I could have taken the stock. Although ganon can combo her to death it is easier said than done. You will most likely only get 1-2 openings per stock against someone that good, gotta make them count.

Against fox, try to generally control the center of the stage if at all possible. practice techchasing, on open stage and with platforms. go guaranteed damage unless you have a gimp opportunity. check the techchasing guide and my edgeguarding thread. in techchasing, I don't let this get predictable but I love to cover the option where he rolls away, if he will be close to the edge. one fair can be a stock if you have your edgeguarding game down, something to think about. one of my go-to edgeguarding strats: sh just before you think fox will dj when he's offstage, while in mid air, finger on the C-stick ready to bair the illusion. a split second goes by and if he hasn't made a break for the ledge yet, end the sh with uair, no fastfall, and l-cancel into pivot low ftilt ("the stank leg"). It covers a ton of options.

evan56780

Smash Rookie
I normally do the sh upair on the edge followed by the pivot downward ftilt but I never thought of doing the bair there thats really smart thanks dude. And samus can be beat my best friend is a samus main just gotta learn the match up. You just gotta be able to predict were there going to shoot there power missiles and wave land around them, Jab if they shoot at you and pressure with a crap ton of fairs and ftilts. I'm sure you probably know that though ahaha I feel like the only character Ganon really cant beat is a falco who is just going off the lasers are just to much.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Punch missiles all day. the key is patience and consistency. one slip up and you get gayed. And yeah vs Fox a well-timed bair is perfect if he is recovering onstage or above stage, illusion or up-b. if he's sweetspotting, uair spike (only dair and reverse uair can hit sweetspotters).

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Simple SHFFL'd fairs and bairs seem to work best. If you really know your hitboxes you can do almost anything to cancel them out but fair and bair are really easy to do it without trading.

Renth

Smash Hero
After a trip to the hospital and a lot of pain, I have a stomach condition that I do not wish to publicly talk about. The condition has flares and some flares can be directly related to stress and anxiety that being said. I doubt I will ever travel to an event outside of a local area smashfest/event again.

Thank you all I've had a lot of fun but until I get this under control I may not be seen for a long time.

Top Bottom