• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A How to Wreck *****es with Ganon?- Linguini Q&A Thread

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
so what do you guys do for solo practice? im tired of whacking on cpus.
Lots and lots of wavelanding practice, especially on platforms. I practice dashing in the opposite direction that I'm facing, dashing after I hit with an aerial to continue a combo, implement platform movement practice on a cpu, practice reverse ledgedashing, practice chain grabbing spacies and Sheik, practice tech chasing after a downthrow on fox with side-bs and dairs, practice doing uair resets if my opponent doesn't tech on a down throw (which can be done if you chain grab them once, they may miss the tech the first time and after you reset, if you do it properly, you can dash and get another grab), I practice my offstage game, my recovery, my ledge-teching, my ledge-dashing and ledge hop moves, I practice dash dancing out of range of the cpu then going in for a grab right after he does a move, I practice hitting with the tip of fair and spacing my moves really well, I practice converting off of jab as well as jab spacing, I practice short-hop wavelands into f-tilts, and I practice sweet-spotting the edge.

That should be a good list of things.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I'd like to think that any matchup is winnable. It's the mentality that counts. Just cause your character is good doesn't mean that I don't have a chance to outplay you.
i agree 1000%. people today are so negative about any character that's not the top 3. people aren't good enough on average for the 20xx **** to actually matter yet.

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
yeah i practice waveland techniques from platforms or onto the ledge. Just practice tech skill or like skytch spacing my moves to see where the hitboxes come out and stuff.I usually just set the the cpu to lvl 1 for the least interference. I don't do level 9s because i don't want to develop bad habits

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
i think i should secondary either link or samus. I am leaning more toward link, even though i hate the guy. Always breaking into my castle. He is just jealous of my power

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. What is some good recording equipment to get? i would love to record some matches, show you guys my ganon

The PikMan

Smash Cadet
I'd recommend picking up peach as a secondary but it doesn't really help the Puff or Sheik matchup (assuming you have issues with them) and she's also a ton of fun and slowly pulling me away from the dark lord

and just get a Dazzle, it's cheap and essentially plug n play

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Ganon v Peach isn't too hard imo, down-smash can be annoying though.
Ganon v Puff is alright, just gotta space moves and ****. If Ganon doesn't work out then I counter with Young Link.
If push comes to shove I'll play Falcon vs. Sheik and Peach.

Last edited:

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
lol id rather ganon against sheik than falcon. I am used to having that range haha and i feel way more comfortable with ganon than any other character

Last edited:

The PikMan

Smash Cadet
I wasn't talking about the matchup, I just meant picking her up as a secondary has been really fun (in response to cptjiggles mentioning he was thinking about link or Samus)

Spralwers

Smash Ace

Coastward

Smash Lord
i guess there's not much solo practice you can do with ganon, i pretty much do a lot of everything that you guys suggested. time to clone myself and enter the hyperbolic time chamber.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
I'd recommend picking up peach as a secondary but it doesn't really help the Puff or Sheik matchup (assuming you have issues with them) and she's also a ton of fun and slowly pulling me away from the dark lord

and just get a Dazzle, it's cheap and essentially plug n play
Do you find it easy transitioning between her and ganon?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
Falco Rant time:

I can't ****ing get in the way that I want to with this guy. Like seriously, lasers shut me down too much and it really ****s up my momentum and movement. I get real annoyed when he hits my shield yet I'm not able to shield grab cause he's just barely out of the way. I have to play a totally different style to beat Falco while Falco can just do whatever the **** he pleases. I just want to grab him ya know? I can get good conversions off of grabs, but just getting them is the ****ing hard part. I could try to tomahawk him, but he practically never shields. Doing a runaway shorthop to backwards waveland to grab won't work cause lasers just interrupt that. How that **** can I grab this guy?

I can't even time my jabs correctly cause I'm getting pelted with lasers. Jumping over them is easier said than done, and wavedashing in between lasers takes a lot off effort and Falco will probably just dair/nair you anyway. I even did several frame perfect ledgedashes and he is still able to hit me just barely out of my invincibility frames. He wrecks me on Yoshi's, wrecks me on Fountain, FD, Dreamland, practically every stage. Even just trying to keep my distance from Falco doesn't help cause he can still just laser my bair or uair or fair.

I'd really like to know how you guys deal with lasers, cause I need a lot of practice in that regard.

The PikMan

Smash Cadet
Do you find it easy transitioning between her and ganon?
Yea it wasn't too rough of a transition, besides getting used to her being such a counter-intuitive character they're actually pretty similar. Peach is pretty slow and really needs to always be aware of spacing (especially with the float adding a whole new dimension) but when she hits, she hits like a truck. Her punish game is pretty absurd and it's fun being able to toss spacies around while essentially being able to ignore Falco's lasers (which is the main reason I picked her up, my locals have two very good Falco's and it felt like going Ganon against them was just giving myself a glass ceiling) But F-Air hits hard, B-Air spaces, and N-Air and D-Smash are amazing defensive and offensive options, I'd really recommend giving her a shot

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Falco Rant time:

I can't ****ing get in the way that I want to with this guy. Like seriously, lasers shut me down too much and it really ****s up my momentum and movement. I get real annoyed when he hits my shield yet I'm not able to shield grab cause he's just barely out of the way. I have to play a totally different style to beat Falco while Falco can just do whatever the **** he pleases. I just want to grab him ya know? I can get good conversions off of grabs, but just getting them is the ****ing hard part. I could try to tomahawk him, but he practically never shields. Doing a runaway shorthop to backwards waveland to grab won't work cause lasers just interrupt that. How that **** can I grab this guy?

I can't even time my jabs correctly cause I'm getting pelted with lasers. Jumping over them is easier said than done, and wavedashing in between lasers takes a lot off effort and Falco will probably just dair/nair you anyway. I even did several frame perfect ledgedashes and he is still able to hit me just barely out of my invincibility frames. He wrecks me on Yoshi's, wrecks me on Fountain, FD, Dreamland, practically every stage. Even just trying to keep my distance from Falco doesn't help cause he can still just laser my bair or uair or fair.

I'd really like to know how you guys deal with lasers, cause I need a lot of practice in that regard
Well first off any stage with platforms is your friend. Or even double jumping. Powersheilding can help too. I Believe you can jump right of shield too. If you are on fd, probably use full hop jumps. Try not too do it too much. You want it for getting closer that's it. Losing jumps with ganon means you are are getting comboed. Especially falcon,sheik and marth. Honestly though, i use ganon's power to eat away at shields and then if they end up sheilding, grab them. A lot of times you can sheild grab falco since you have the range. Not always though, they may actually space moves, i guess it depends on the falco. I should elaborate, for platforms wavelanding is the quickest way forward. Jabs are not always the best, but great for sheild pressure once you are close.

Last edited:

Renth

Smash Hero
made a video of beating classic on very hard 1 stock no continues with ganondorf for my friends gaming channel will be put up when he gets done doing whatever editing he wants to do

www.facebook.com/leanongazebos - i'll link the video here once it's done

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Hey skytch i updated my reply. Hope it helps more. I will try to come up with more ideas for you too. Oddly enough my friends who were at one point high level players , they still are , don't seem to know how to get out of falco's combos, just keep trying aerials like up air or neutral air. lots of di too. Playing ganon forces you to be good if you want to make it anywhere haha

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Shield grabbing only really works if you shield DI properly, or else you'll easily get shined when you try to grab.
yeah haha i know that. it depends on the situation, you can sometimes do it though before he actually lands. or you can sheild grab after the shine , i think there is enough time.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
My god, tm, that puff plays like a DOUUUUUUUUCHE

On another note, I need to learn how the hell to DI. Just rewatched this vid and it's absolutely killing me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbIte-ERkKc

edit: tm, vs fox, you have to stop approaching so much I think. And he baited you really well with those dash dances. Wavelanding on a platform is a great way to increase your range on the fair, but your problem was that he was actually baiting out THAT range, rather than just the standard fair range... if that makes sense. Also, after you miss a dash attack or get the weak hit, ftilt is a great way to stuff him because he shouldn't have gotten those punishes after your dash attack. Check my above video at 9 minutes and 30 sec for a good example.

Nice job vs. the falcon!

Last edited:

dERO!

Smash Apprentice
Shield grabbing only really works if you shield DI properly, or else you'll easily get shined when you try to grab.
i think that to grab falco and most top tiers we should first put pressure on the shields and look aggressive when they're not, scare them into shielding, then grab
don't you think ?

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
Vids.

vs Rayquaza (Puff)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dY1s7o9TOc
vs General Heinz (Falcon)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv1BCbE9-Og
vs Blake (Fox)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcUzYUt0FXY

As always, criticism appreciated.
hey tm good stuff. I am no pro and i don't want to sound like a douche. I do feel that the puff was forcing you into spots, like when he is high up, maybe try and go out and up air . not too far out. Having no jumps is a bad thing against puff. Puff is fast so jumping out of sheild will never work. jab if you have to. your play was great but i would say favour the up air instead of bair, i think it covers puff more than one spot with the bair. Also , that is the campiest freaking puff i have ever seen lol. So you did great against that. He must be a patient patient player

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
tm against falcon when you get him off edge, stomp. And be prepared for the meteor cancel. Tech chase with stmps too. falcon has a short roll.

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Jiggles, you can't always just stomp because there are people out there who can tech/meteor cancel flawlessly. In tm's case, I think his edge guarding was near perfect. Eddie spike or back air- might be boring, but it's easy and it's effective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q1gBZUx31c

Did a run of very hard one stock no continues bloopers at the end are hilarious.

Watching your guys' sets now

LOLLLL that was hilarious. I loved the bloopers

Last edited:

cptjiggles69

Smash Journeyman
yeah but people forget about the weird hitboxes on it. Agreed, you can't stomp all the time, i jsut like tech chasing with it if the oportunity presents itself and sometimes off the edge. not always though. I like it is a shield poke though.
Pseudo sorry for the way i worded it. it makes it sound like every move you do should be stomp and only that lol. My only thought is that there were opportunites for it.

Last edited:

PseudoTurtle

Smash Champion
Oh, definitely go for the stomp on the tech chase lol. Have you seen that bizzaroflame match where he got like 6 consecutive stomps in a row?? Too funny. And yea, stomping is ok, but usually the eddie spike is a way better option because it can't be teched (usually)

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
vs fox you are sh way to much and the fox is just punishing you for it by out prioritizing you. you should approach on the ground more and fh aerial more in the neutral, as you have more options. if you are going to sh, do bairs more. you can actually sh bair --> dj bair. idk if that was common knowledge, but it's really good. only sh fair for punishes or retreats, try to avoid approaching with those.

Bizzarro Flame

Smash Lord
Yo, guys, I'm sick of ganons missing edge-guards against spacies who side-bs perfectly right under the ledge. Have any creative ideas?

Tipman spike obviously does not work unless if they get nervous and miss their perfect side-b recovery.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Yo, guys, I'm sick of ganons missing edge-guards against spacies who side-bs perfectly right under the ledge. Have any creative ideas?

Tipman spike obviously does not work unless if they get nervous and miss their perfect side-b recovery.
Maybe try stomp

irl

on their toes

so they drop their controller

It should work.

Top Bottom