• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How well do you play with your main character?

FearTheTree

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6153-4921
When I'm playing by myself on Melee at home, I usually set up a game against a level 9, on a fairly simple stage, no items, and 4 lives. Lately I've been getting a lot better, and I'm on a 40+ game win streak against random level 9s. I usually end up with 2 lives at the end of each round, but it varies. Sometimes I end with 3, rarely 1, and only once I won with 4 lives (playing as Pikachu against Jigglypuff). I feel like this is some of the best I've played, but I was wondering, how well does everyone play with their main character? Are you like me? Or is it a disgrace if you let a level 9 CPU KO you once? I'm curious because I'd like to know how I'd fare in the competitive scene. Please reply!

Zizou

Smash Rookie
I just really started practicing the technical side of this game and after a few days im starting to get the hang of it, the hard part is actually implementing it into an actual game against another person, which will come naturally with more experience. Unfortunately for me, I dont know the people in my area so im stuck practicing on AIs more than actual people. I dont know if this will help you out, but i got this advice a while ago, when youre playing AIs dont put them on level 9 you keep them at level 0-1 and just practice your movement with your character, try to dodge everything, see how far your attacks can go and connect, and just try to take as little % as possible while implementing techniques liike L-cancelling, short hops, wavedashing...etc

Edit: I was essentially the same as you but now AIs are a joke pretty much, if i lose a stock is because im just testing my gimping skills and/or seeing if something is possible.

Varist

Smash Lord
pretty much everyone does what you're doing when they start out. when you've been playing for a long time you realize that beating a level 9 is just a disconnected minigame and has little to no bearing on how well you'll do playing against humans. i would say don't even bother practicing this game until you have some people to play with. find the scene near you, put yourself out there. if there is no scene near you, look farther. every state has a scene, so then decide whether or not you have the time to travel.

you can play level 9s as much as you want but if you knew how much better practice you would receive with real people you'd see how much of a waste of time it is to fight level 9s when there is a scene just waiting for you to join it.

PreacherDudeRox

Smash Journeyman
My main in 64 is Ness, and I was king with him - I even gave myself the mantra "Ness is the best, die like the rest."

My main in Melee was Falco, and that was mostly because I loved the Star Fox series, and I thought Falco was cooler than Fox. I was pretty good too, but I never actually owned Melee.

My main in Brawl was also Falco, and this time around, I actually managed to be pretty competitive with him. Luckily, Falco is a great technical character in Brawl, and his air agility suits my play style of "smash them into the air, chase them down in the air, meteor smash."

hydrobatmann

Smash Rookie
NNID
hydrobatmann
Switch FC
5010 1440 3947
Well, in my case i do have two main characters: Fox and Mario. With Mario i usually do wavedashing to make more efficent the translation of the character over the platform or stage. Also i throw a lot of fireballs to do some spacing and then i try to aproach to the other player or i dashdance a bit for a grab. Sometimes it works, or it doesn't work if the other player hits me xD. The jabs are useful when you want to do space a bit if you're with the other player so close.

With Fox i do wavedash,dashdancing too, but with this character the reflector is a useful attack to deal some damage on the other player and connect hits. His up smash it's powerful to use when the other character has around 85%-90% damage because you can take your opponent flying out of the screen :p. Also the blaster are great to deal some easy damage to the opponent , and the jabs helps a lot to make combos too!

I often play with people (friends, brother, smash brothers' comunity in my city, etc) ,but when i want to practice, i play with my little brother or the AIs to test attacks or movements as Zizou does (:

I think i do well with Mario and Fox, these are easy to use and great characters :D

"YOLO"

Smash Cadet
CPU's are a joke compared to humans. But you can practice some things being alone, you can relate to other characters falling speed after a hit, the heavy they are agaisnt attacks at certain percent, that means you should practice agaisnt lv 1- 3 CPU's, and don't fight them to death like a real battle, because they can create you bad habits that might work well agaisnt computers, but a human will read that pattern easily and punish you to dea.

But you can practice TONS of tech skill, watch this video to see what tech skill is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE), this will improve your game beyond imagination when mastered.

FearTheTree

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3024-6153-4921
CPU's are a joke compared to humans. But you can practice some things being alone, you can relate to other characters falling speed after a hit, the heavy they are agaisnt attacks at certain percent, that means you should practice agaisnt lv 1- 3 CPU's, and don't fight them to death like a real battle, because they can create you bad habits that might work well agaisnt computers, but a human will read that pattern easily and punish you to dea.

But you can practice TONS of tech skill, watch this video to see what tech skill is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n4s5yB7ZkE), this will improve your game beyond imagination when mastered.
Thanks for the video link! I'm already getting better at wave dashing, wave landing is really hard still though

Top Bottom