• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS How will you set up your controls for the 3DS version?

SpiderJerusalem

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NewBabel
3DS FC
4124-5499-0990
I think grab should be shield + attack, or either just one button, like R or X
Two buttons seems inefficient, I think it'd be best if one trigger was shield and one was grab. I'd place shield on left button and grab on right since the z button was on the right side of the GC controller, so kinda muscle memory

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Two buttons seems inefficient, I think it'd be best if one trigger was shield and one was grab. I'd place shield on left button and grab on right since the z button was on the right side of the GC controller, so kinda muscle memory
This is what I ultimately want too, and I haven't even played (that much) on a gamecube controller

Azorax

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1650-1673-0287
Probs the same as some other posts, but

A - Attack
B - Special
X - Jump
R - Grab
L - Shield
CPad - Movement
D-Pad - Smash/Taunt if I find out CPP is supported.

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
I will probably configure mine like this
A: Jump
B: Attack
X: Jump
Y: Special
Circle Pad: Movement
D Pad: Taunts
L/R: Shield
If CPP is supported: Smashes

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Hoping that smash 3DS expands upon brawl's button mapping.
X:Jump
Y:Jump
A:Attack
B:Special
R: Shield
L: Grab
Dpad: Smash
If the game has touchscreen support it would be very useful for smash attacks.
If I got a circle pad pro, I would use the circle pad for taunts and the extra triggers for grabs.

pwnzorz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ABlackMage
3DS FC
0103-9129-9741
A - Jump
B - Atk
X - Jump
Y - Sp Atk

L/R - Shield/Dodge
D-Pad - Move/taunts (I'll have to see)
Circlepad - Move
Touch Screen - Taunts/Display HP or % and stock

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
Circle Pad- Move + Jump
Y - Special attack (It's kinda in the same position as GC Controllers B button)
X - Standard Attack (Same position as GC A button)
A- Grab
B-Shield
L button - Smash attack -LEFT
R button - Smash attack Right
Circle Pad up +L button - Smash attack UP
Circle Pad down + L button Smash attack down

D-PAD - TAUNTS

It sounds uncomfortable, but im pretty sure it's really comfy. Lots of people think that if you set the buttons like GC it will play excactly like the GC controller, but people... They arent in the same position!

Last edited:

cpt-brandon

Smash Rookie
D-pad: movement
A: attack
B: special
X: grab
Y: grab
L/R: shield and dodge
Circle pad: c-stick

I like the d-pad for precice movement and it allows for faster reactions for attacking, since there is a small amount of time for the circle pad to move back towards the center for it to read another command. I set the X and Y as grabs since the thumb is adjacent to two buttons at a time and this way there is always an adjacent grab button for less time spent on reaching over to buttons that are further away from the thumb. I might set the L button as a taunt, since two dodge/shield buttons is not required and neither is a taunt.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
I think the first control set mentioned would be fine.
I also wish from a special place in my heart that we could connect the wii u pro controller to the 3ds and also connect the 3ds to a bigger screen at the same time. That would be amazing

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
Same way I have my PS3 controller set for Project M:

B: Jump
Y: Attack
A: Special
X: Grab
L/R: Shield/Dodge

TheMiddleVeen

Smash Cadet
A: attack
B: special
X/Y: jump
L: Shield
R: Grab
Circle Pad: Move
D-Pad: Taunts?
I would love to see the touch screen do something. Maybe they could do the smash or taunts.

Moczan

Smash Rookie
If CPP is supported, tap jump off:
B - attack
Y - special
A - jump
X - jump
ZL - shield
ZR - shield
R - grab
if there is no CPP support I will probably get a grab at X and use d-pad for c-stick. I could even use a virtual c-stick on touchscreen if we get similar options as in MH3U (size, position, x/y proportions).

CaSTEELO

Smash Rookie
NNID
CaSTEELO
3DS FC
0963-0535-1293
B: attack
Y: special
X: jump
A: jump
L: shield
R: grab
Circle pad: move
D-Pad: taunt

Pixxler

Smash Cadet
I bet the d-pad will replace the c stick ... don't know how to taunt then :D

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I'd probably have to play to see how comfortable it is, but for now I say:

B: Special Attacks
A: Normal Attacks
X: Jump (preferably no tap jump)
Y: Grab
L/R: Shield
Circle Pad: Move (obviously)
D-Pad: Taunts

I can live without the C-Stick, doing an uncharged Smash by letting go of A is just as quick, if not quicker anyway.

SoaringDive

Smash Cadet
NNID
SoaringDive
3DS FC
2148-8150-1379
I'm a bit weird...

A-attack
B-special
X-grab
L-shield
R-jump

Y can be whatever, maybe Smash attacks (I forget how setting a button to Smash attacks worked in Brawl, does it do whatever direction your stick is tilted?). Tap to jump will be off.

Last edited:

CrazyChaos

Smash Cadet
A-attack
B-special
X-Jump
Y-Jump
R-shield
L-grab
C-pad-Movement
D-pad-Taunts
I will generally try to leave most of it at the defaults, and remove circle-pad jump possibly. I have had incidents with side-scrolling games on the 3DS where my character would ground pound suddenly whenever I used the circle-pad. I am not sure if it is my own issue, or if the sensitivity for the circle-pad is too broad. So I am worried that the same thing may occur with jumps if I leave that on. I general do not use that for jumps anyway.

Abcat1337

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sirach
3DS FC
3539-9738-8755
This thread is to discuss different possible button layouts for the 3DS version of the new Super Smash Bros.

Important to note is that, at this stage, nothing is confirmed regarding this subject. Not if it will be possible to utilize the Circle Pad Pro, or if the controls even will be cuztomizable (although we take for granted that they will be).

Personally I'm going for...

Moving Attack to the middle button is the closest you can get to the GameCube controller, which means the button to the right lets you jump and the button to the left lets you do specials. L and R being grab and guard feels natural to me at least.

---

Below I've saved a few other suggestions.

I haven't referenced any quotes because a lot have suggested the same moveset and it just becomes a hazzle. This is simply a databank, in any case. Hopefully it will inspire others!

Personally I prefer attacking with the X button and Shield with R. Monster Hunter will make you do that. Y would be special, and B would be grabbing, while A is to jump (obviously).

Abcat1337

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sirach
3DS FC
3539-9738-8755
I'm honestly not sure. Honestly now that I think about it I'm thinking Smash may be a bit awkward to control on a 3DS given the twitchy nature of the thumbstick. Maybe I should invest in a circle pad pro too, so I can have a C-Stick...
IKR. The C-Pad is jumpy like a *****, hard to play some Street Fighter on it.

Arti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Arti31415
3DS FC
2621-3001-2960
+ pad: Taunts
Circle pad: Move
A: Normal
B: Special
X/Y: Jump

DjSmashFreak

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2277-6627-5571
Mine is gonna be:
Circle pad= Move
Directional pad= Smash
L/R= Shield
A= Attack or Jump
B= Special or Attack
Y= Jump or Special
X= Taunt

wafflini

Smash Apprentice
Circle pad- movement
Dpad- smashes
L- shielding
R- specials
A- standards
B- jump
Y- grab
X- taunt

Thor

Smash Champion
If I don't like defaults:
A: standard attack
B: special attacks
Y: grab (or maybe jump and I'll only shieldgrab)
R: Shield (perhaps grab if I need two jump buttons and can learn to shield with L, which isn't something I do on a Gamecube...)
D-pad: Smashes (if no option for that... not sure)

I think this will (if I only shieldgrab) give me a Smash64 feel (minus the whole "only shieldgrab" thing).
No taunting for me, I guess.

Last edited:

Light-Kratos

Smash Cadet
A - Attack
X - Jump
B - Special
Y - Grab
R - Shield
L - Grab / Jump (depending of the character)

I'll wait to see if the extra circle pad can be used effectively for smashes and if so, I'll probably get one.

geo1088

Smash Rookie
I'm thinking this:
Circle Pad - Move
A - Attack
B - Special
X, Y - Taunts
L - Shield
R - Grab
D - Pad - Smash

Also, why does everyone want to use the CPad Pro? Wouldn't that make it hard to reach the buttons? I've never used it so I wouldnt know but it doesn't make much sense to me...

Saikyoshi

Smash Master
NNID
KarmaPilcrow
3DS FC
0344-9771-0514
I'm already used to the Classic Controller, so I'm going to keep the default.
Also, why does everyone want to use the CPad Pro? Wouldn't that make it hard to reach the buttons? I've never used it so I wouldnt know but it doesn't make much sense to me...
Apparently, the C stick was important. I never used it, so I don't care, but...

Last edited:

Deviddo

Smash Journeyman
A: Normal Attack
B: Special Attack
Y: Jump
L: Shield (Air dodge)
R: Grab/Shield (Air dodge)
D-Pad: Taunt

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Probably default for me, since I use the Classic Controller in Brawl it seems easy to transition...save for L to grab and R to block. I'll have to get myself used to that.

geo1088

Smash Rookie
Apparently, the C stick was important. I never used it, so I don't care, but...
Actually, I use that thing pretty regularly in Brawl (which is why I use the D-Pad for smash instead of taunts). The only thing I could see you doing if you used the CPP tho would be using ZL and ZR (pretty sure it has those) as Attack / Special. It's just so awkward to hit ABXY with that thing on.

Last edited:

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
My R button is going bad, so I want to just be able to switch it over to Y. That is all I ask.

Nstinct

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3626-0477-8909
If the game has touchscreen support it would be very useful for smash attacks. If I got a circle pad pro, I would use the circle pad for taunts and the extra triggers for grabs.
I agree, the touch screen could be an interesting "c-stick". They should add that as at least an option, the hand motion would be somewhat similar to the Gamecube/Playstation controllers with analogs under and to the left of the standard buttons. Albeit it'd be a further reach but people could adjust to it if they wanted to.

geo1088

Smash Rookie
I agree, the touch screen could be an interesting "c-stick". They should add that as at least an option, the hand motion would be somewhat similar to the Gamecube/Playstation controllers with analogs under and to the left of the standard buttons. Albeit it'd be a further reach but people could adjust to it if they wanted to.
I agree, using the touch screen would be cool. Personally though I'd probably use it for taults and the D-Pad for smashes, I just like having something physical for important things (that explains why I don't like traditional games on touch devices). It would be cool if there was a d-pad on the touch screen that you could move around or something, so you could put it on the far right if you use it for smashes or something... Actually that might make more sense anyway UI-wise, since then the left side could be used for other controls instead of having to have a big d-pad in the middle and a bunch of other stuff surrounding it.
Speaking of the touch screen, what do you think it'll be used for other than possibly a c-stick or 2nd d-pad? I'm thinking along the lines of chat for onlinebattles or something.

Krazy4Krash

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SpongeBev
I've used the Classic Controller for Brawl a little bit, so the diamond layout isn't too much of a stray for me. If I think of the 3DS layout as similar to it, I'll be using A for standard attacks, B for specials, and X for jumping, while completely ignoring the Y button. This is how I see the face of the GCN controller. It has the X button on the right which I never use. Of course I will be making L Shield and R Grab, so all I'll be doing to customise my controls aside from that is disabling tap jump if it's default.

D

Deleted member

I'll probably just stick to the default controls, the only thing I'd change would be..

L - Shield
R - Grab

CoolPalMitch

Smash Cadet
NNID
mitchgamelover
I'll probably set it up as

B: Jump
Y: Attack
X: Special
A: I really only need 3 buttons so I don't really care

That's basically what I use for my Classic Controller in Brawl/PM, and it'll be how I set up my Pro Controller for when the Wii U version comes out! (I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the world who actually doesn't like the GCN controller for Smash)

Last edited:
Top Bottom