• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would you make Starfox Games better.

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
Starfox, a game which most people know or heard of. It's one of the games to earn it's place in the Smash Bros games. But after Starfox 64 there games have been not too impressive. They seem bland and somtimes annoying in parts. This is some ideas they should put in future games.

1. Have your teamates actually do something other then give you items. Use an AI sytem where they see an enemy then they go after and shoot it. If you look closely in none of the games do they do anything. They could also actually watch your back as your in a heated dogfight.

2. I like the Air, Land, and Tank idea on Assault but they gave the controls rather glitchy. If they would fine tune it a bit it would be great.

3. Incorparate an underwater level like in Starfox64. That was fun.

4. Give free range to go through the solar sytem with an interactive enviroment that changes as you play the game. e.g. you save Coneria and when you return one moment they will be rebuilding and another it would peaceful.

5. Drive the Greatfox enough said.

6. Do like they did with Zelda (namely twilight princess) and put in a bunch of minigames and puzzles that were fun to play.

7. IMPROVE on the graphics. I found it wierd that Adventures has better looks then Assault and Command.

Milkyway64

Smash Journeyman
In addition to the things you stated, they need to add a few more of the on-rails shooter levels, and, most of all, ADD ALTERNATE ROUTES!

That's all they need to do. Add some of the elements that made SF64 so great that they got rid of, then focus on newer elements.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Here's an idea. Get rid of that stupid vixen that is Krystal and reinstate Peppy the Hare as the fourth member of Star Fox. Everything was fine with the series until she came along.

Have controls that are actually good. I dont know why they messed up the Arwing in Adventure and Assult. It was perfectly fine before. Command went back to the old way, but you had to use the stylus which I never really liked.

More battles like the one with that flying saucer in 64.

More easter egg secrets. Maybe hide powerups in more inventive places.

Better level design. All the new games, and sometimes even in the old ones, have terribly bland levels.

Again, get rid of that Krystal.

Milkyway64

Smash Journeyman
I don't see why they should get rid of Krystal. It's not her fault the games began going downhill, it's Nintendo's for throwing the series around to third party developers. All they have to do is improve the gameplay and, like you said, level design/creativeness, and you have a winner.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Seriously, the AI needs improving, I don't want them to steal every kill but I don't want them to fly around like handless monkeys.

They need better enemy AI as well, the AI only proves difficult in large numbers. Cut down the army and make them a little better.

Add co-op already, the game is begging for it.

Stop making the game a soap opera, if it means getting rid or Krystal so bet it but when the game tries and horribly fails to be a tear jerker it takes away from the experience.

ZeldaFox38

Smash Lord
I really don't mind the whole space opera-ish stuff going on in the background. It kind of gives a sense of urgency to the series of events. Then again, character development and story line are very important elements, but maybe only in my opinion. I wouldn't want to see Star Fox go down the Halo road. Blah.

First off: the Command art style has to go. I hated it. They looked so weird. I understand there are graphical limitations on the DS, but did we have to go so unrealistic? At least Assault and Adventures had some kind of a sense of realism.

Second complaint: Mary Sue overload. Anyone get this feeling in Command? We had a girlfriend and a daughter of two main characters pop out, and then we de-pinked Katt Monroe? What the hell! She was pink in Star Fox 64! I want my pink Katt back.

Third complaint: Frankly, the games are just too short. Unless we're going back into RPG land, we don't need to be 30+ hours long, but I need some replay value.

And I want Peppy back, but I don't want to get rid of any other team member.

Could we go back in time? And could I get a real fight with General Scales? :rocket:

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
Improve the AI, because they always say stuff like "Fox, help me! I'm being chased by some drones!". If Fox (You the player), can do barrel rolls and flips, why can't they? I often find myself either a.) letting them die and complain to me b.) save their *****

And co-op mode would be nice.

Blazer

Smash Ace
1. Better AI. I cannot emphasize this too much. "Fox! I need help!" "Fox get these guys off of me!" "Fox help!!!" if Navi were to meet the Star Fox team noone would ever play video games again I guarantee it. Also, the games enemies are defeated far too easily with the exception of Star Wolf only because you have to save your team from them. Improve the AI in all areas and we no longer have Falco getting killed by Leon and me saving him only to be hit from behind by Wolf but rather, Falco having a good battle with Leon while I fight Wolf and occasionally go to help Falco get an edge.

2. Every level needs to be off a rail choosing your own way of completing the objective. I know that I'm gonna have complaints about this but rail levels are not as fun. Star Wolf battles are my favorite parts of the games because they offer a challenge usually and allow me freedom. Rails are great but I don't like following one path EVERY time. I'd rather be fully all-range.

3. Better ground combat. I thought ground combat was great personally but it's complained about all the time. I'd like to see it be more effective in a lot of cases though. I can't for the life of me kill someone in an Arwing or Wolfen without the use of predator rockets and a homing launcher which are both easily countered by jumping out of the ship. In one player killing the random Cpus that fly through the air is too much on-foot too since they just fly out of range when targeted. Make on-foot somewhat efficient and give it better contol and we're set. A Star Wolf battle that goes all in all forms or at least foot and Arwing is my dream.

4. Co-op. There's 4 members of Star Fox why can I only use one? The only way co-op works is in all-range though so it's all-range or no co-op which is one more reason to support all all-range levels.

5. Story. The story bombs after 64. Assault tried really hard but honestly. (I've not playred Command due to my lack of a ds BTW)

6. Length. Make it longer than 10 levels on three difficulties. Geez. It may have seemed like a lot but I can destroy Gold like nothing so I obviously can do bronze too.

7.Alternate story. I want to play on Star Wolf's side more than you can ever imagine. Give me a Sonic type thing where I can do both sides and then onre big final shebang and I'll be ecstatic. It'd add to replay value too.

8. TC's number 4 is what I thought of next. It'd be great to be able to explore the areas afterwards. Make it RPGish if you must. I just want to have that freedom.

I know I'm gonna get attacked on some of these ideas but they're what I want in the series. It's one of my favorites if they'd just do it correctly.

Dark Link 1045

Smash Rookie
Personally i think they should go back and start from scratch. Post-64 sucked mostly becuase it left the cockpit we all know and love. Assult tried to reincorporate this but had trouble with its story line. Ive never played command so is it worth buying???

I Think they should try to reamake the 64 and SNES game.

Link'sShadow

Smash Journeyman
Wow I have to say excellent idea everyone. I definately agree with blaze on most things but the rail flying (Which Command took out to let you know). The rails were a classic part starfox in general and it allowed you to focus on the shooting more so. It also gave a more cinematic scene to the game.

Now for the Co-op. They could do this but they would have to give each teammate a path to fly on (this could be separate, together, or both). Also they need to give each player an actual mission (Slippy can't just sit in the corner of the base and go "Wow this place is huge.").

Oh yes and let's look at the multiplayer. Take away that F****** dimond that showed where you are even through walls. I hated that. You couldn't snipe or hide. It would give the On-foot player an advantage instead of the Arwing being the best.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Lol I forgot about that diamond, it basically says, "HEY! Shoot here! Forget your radar and all that **** you have a diamond now shoot it!!"

That killed everything lol. They should make the AI in SF as strong as the ones in Kingdom hearts 2 [I can't think of the correct way to put this, it's 2am lol] , they were as least 1/3 of your strength, I think, so they could hold there own while offering you a little support until you finish your target. I wouldn't want all powerful backup that owns everything without even trying, that'd be as bad as the ******* on auto-pilot we have now.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
1. All on-rails, [almost] all the time. At MOST only 20% or so of levels should ever be all All-range mode. Save all-range mode for boss battles and a few full levels. (Sorry for you crazy people who think all-range mode is really fun. But, throughout the Star Fox console series, All-range mode levels are always the most boring levels. Too bad that you like boring stuff.)

2. Arcade style play again. (Goes with the on-rails.)

3. No more Krystal. Peppy can be replaced I guess, but with someone not as completely moronic, boring and unoriginal as Krystal.

4. Alternate routes.

5. Fox never gets out of his vehicle. Ever. And for God's sake he never sits on anybody else's plane to shoot stuff down.

6. Fix how the Arwing handles. If they didn't worry about the totally lame stuff like more all-range mode levels, ground combat, and making Krystal a furry lover's wet dream, then the Arwing might handle like it was actually a vehicle in a GOOD game.

7. Don't put in puzzles and mini-games. Ever. Because that idea sucks.

8. Creative level concepts and designs that are FUN. Venom 1, Area 6, Macbeth, Solar, Zoness, and Sector Y all come to mind as great, genuinely fun levels. If I had to I would choose Venom 1 (or any of those levels I just mentioned. Actually ANY level from SF64) over the entire Star Fox series after Star Fox 64. That level is that much more fun than any of those crap games.

Basically Star Fox has a lot of the same problems as the Rogue Squadron series has with Rebel Strike. Too much worrying about crap nobody wants, and then making all that crap nobody wants absolutely suck anyway.

applejack

Smash Journeyman
Fox doesn't get of a his vehicle. The controls from assault hurt.

Replace Slippy with Peppy, or a two year old. Both would be more useful than Slippy.

Make the Arwings controls better.

Add easter eggs like in 64. (going through hoops to get alternate routes, keeping your party alive to get a secret ending)

More free form battles. Star Wolf, Saucer, Brain Andross (don't know his real name).

Play more on characters strengths. Falco is the best pilot, Peppy is aged and expierenced, Krystal has...don't know, forgot. Slippy is cannon fodder. Fox has...heart? Also better AI.

Online, or offline, co-op.

Better level design, textures, buildings, damage.

This franchise could have been as big as Zelda and Mario, but recent games have made it very minor (ironic then that fox is so good in melee). Give this game back to first party developers.

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Adventure Mode:

Just like Assault in this mode, but give it a good side (Star Fox Side) and a dark side (Star Wolf/Andross side). Give the controls a fine tuning, many more than ten levels each, and a full 2-4 player co-op option.

Classic Mode:

Just like StarFox 64 in this mode. Yeah. No Command nonsense. All Range Mode only for some levels and most bosses, and (I can' think of what it's called, you know where you just flew straight) most of the time and for some bosses.

Vs Mode:

Both a Starfox 64-ish mode and an Assault-ish mode.

Online Mode:

Have either online co-op or Vs battle. And hopefully a more Xbox live-ish version with more lobby-ishness than friend code-ishness.

EDIT: On split paths, I think the classic mode should have them, but the adventure mode shouldn't.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I like Meleeruler's suggestions the most, instead of making Starfox a one mode campaign game, it'd be a many mode [like melee] campaign game.

And the other term you were looking for [as opposed to all-range] is on rails.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
I like Meleeruler's suggestions the most, instead of making Starfox a one mode campaign game, it'd be a many mode [like melee] campaign game.

And the other term you were looking for [as opposed to all-range] is on rails.
Except for the fact that if we ever want Star Fox to be good again, going back to basics is the way it needs to go. Why make an Assault Mode if Assault is a disgrace?

You can make it more involved, have a longer campaign that doesn't have to be finished in one play through (like Rogue Squadron and Leader, superb games.) But it should be entirely different from Assault. Levels should be classic Star Fox, not Assault bullcrap. Too much hopping in and out of Arwings, horrible control of Arwings, too many tedious and boring fights with Star Wolf (and all-range mode levels in particular), and completely uninspired level designs should be enough to convince you that Assault mode is not the way to go.

Plus, in the multi-mode types of games, most of the time there are definitely certain modes that are very lackluster. I mean, All-Star Mode in Melee? Nobody liked it. And a lot of people I think found Adventure pretty boring (myself included.) Focus on one mode before trying to do anything fancy ( and in the case of Assault, fail.)

Anybody who thinks anything should be "just like Assault" is... well... they're insane.

Co-op mode isn't a bad idea. The series would have to move out of strict on rails for a co-op mode though, in my opinion. (Not strict on-rails, but still somewhat linear, not a small area where your options are extremely limited, which all Star Fox all-range levels are like.) But they should really just fix everything first, back to basics, fix controls, all that stuff.

The Rogue Squadron series (Which I hold as a kind of high water mark when it comes to flight games) as I mentioned earlier has the same problems that Star Fox has. Not a terrible decision to go on foot, but the execution was terrible. The saving grace of Rebel Strike was that it featured Rogue Leader's campaign with co-op, and also that the levels, though they had too much on-foot stuff with bad controls, still featured much better levels than anything appearing in Assault. Star Fox no longer has anything good going for it. They can't try and salvage anything, they have to start from scratch and go simple.

Armygeddon Bomb

Smash Ace
Here's my ideas:
1. Co-op, enough said about that.
2. Have the Star Fox 64 branch leveling.
3. More Blue Marine missions (Aqua mission).
4. More Landmaster missions.
5. Customizable Arwing/Landmaster (mostly cosmetic).
6. Multi player has an occasional boss for special items it holds.
7. A mode that replaces enemies destroyed with a score.

These were all the ones I could think of.

greenblob

Smash Lord
There should be four main modes: arcade, arcade co-op, multiplayer, and campaign. Arcade and arcade co-op are on rails, while multiplayer (mostly vs.) and campaign are free-roaming. Of course, all of these would be Arwing modes. And perhaps there should be an unlockable top-down 2D Star Fox game, just as a bonus.

SehkmetCLS

Smash Cadet
So I got assault...I'm happy...game starts off great...oh hey look it Starwolf...I was ready getting my *** kicked by Wolf and his gang...you know, the wherever you go I shoot you to a pulp kinda feeling he gave in SF64...

Falco goes: omgwtf teh lizard owns me...

so I fly to falco...save his but...turn to face Wolf, only to find him at the other side of the level, circling around a standard path...not even reacting that much when I came near.

That hurted me the most actually, the AI went from decent for the time, to insanely suck for the time.

I really don't have much to say, you guys kinda did it for me.

And I agree, Starfox could have been as big as Zelda and Mario.

Blazer

Smash Ace
Starfox could be bigger.

To all you all range mode haters by the way, no. All range mode is freedom to fly as I want. Flying on a rail doesn't appeal to me nearly as much. The levels need to be a lot bigger for all range and less "FOX SHOOT THAT THING FOX!" then moving to the next thing and shooting it to death and more fun oriented. I want the chance to actually fight something challenging not be chased by a horde of enemies and either turn around and own them or get owned as I run. That's no fun. I want All-range like in Star Wolf battles where you actually feel the competition to some small degree.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Starfox could be bigger.

To all you all range mode haters by the way, no. All range mode is freedom to fly as I want. Flying on a rail doesn't appeal to me nearly as much. The levels need to be a lot bigger for all range and less "FOX SHOOT THAT THING FOX!" then moving to the next thing and shooting it to death and more fun oriented. I want the chance to actually fight something challenging not be chased by a horde of enemies and either turn around and own them or get owned as I run. That's no fun. I want All-range like in Star Wolf battles where you actually feel the competition to some small degree.
If that's your opinion on the direction Star Fox should go in, then you don't really understand what kind of game Star Fox is.

As someone who's played through Star Fox at least a hundred times, the all-range levels have little to no replay value, and the on-rails missions are so much more creative and well-designed that they're much more fun to play over and over.

FreakyVoiceDude

Smash Apprentice
There's a bit of a canyon between being a good pilot, and being able to tap the A button ten times a second. Make flying the Arwing an actual skill, where a dogfight in multiplayer is more than just circling each other and doing somersaults and brakes. Multiplayer matches always got pretty repetitive because of how the things handled, there wasn't any way to get better since keeping up with the other guy just meant breaking when he did and hoping he'd fly under you.

The levels in multi...Great for the ground, but those blocky simple stages were complete utter jokes for dogfights. It was like boxing in two fighter jets in a football field, there's just no point. The on-foot and tank engine was more effective than the flying was, a real shot at the roots of the game.

One thing I'd enjoy...Free-flying. I don't care if it's an unlockable, an extra mode, etc, but I want a simply gigantic area to fly around in and enjoy the scenery, target and move practice if I feel the need, shoot the breeze with friends in multiplayer, this would be the mode to add mp3 compatibility to.

If they really want to show off what the Wii can do...creating all-range one player mode with small continents, island chains, oceans, small planets, would really show off what the developers have to work with. To the point that free-flying without enemies or in training mode is somewhat enjoyable on the side. Imagine mixing in an element of Star Fox Adventure, making things semi-exploration based as well as a serious game.

Let's say...You're going through one-player, you have a gigantic Cornerian city plus the area around it. Flying through it all takes a bit of time, even boosting. They send you back and forth to do this or that, then the boss appears, onto the next level. Later you head back to the same level, rebuilt or otherwise, and you can just explore every inch of it at your leisure on foot, by air, or even with a civilian vehicle of some kind. Talk to the people running around, unlock secrets, get custom paint jobs, get to understand how their canon universe works. Mini-games and quests can pop into this besides the main game, similar to the Zelda system.

Plus, it gives you a miniature world within itself. I'd personally love to walk around through some desert ruins, beam down a Landmaster to clear the way through a canyon, then finish off in an Arwing headed back for an outpost city to sell the junk I found for a custom paint job.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
That sounds cool. One thing that I hated about SF is how quickly everything ended and how similar it was the second and third time. On rail levels are fun, but not when that's all you can play. There is little to no real AI on rails, they just fly in a set path, maybe speed up at high damage and that's it. It feels like going through a target practice area with a couple of hazards but nothing to make you feel like you're dog fighting.

Unless SF expands it won't even be worth mentioning as one of Nintendo's best franchises. Also note how just about every other flagship series has evolved. Mario, Zelda and Metroid. SF is still struggling to find the right spot.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
That sounds cool. One thing that I hated about SF is how quickly everything ended and how similar it was the second and third time. On rail levels are fun, but not when that's all you can play. There is little to no real AI on rails, they just fly in a set path, maybe speed up at high damage and that's it. It feels like going through a target practice area with a couple of hazards but nothing to make you feel like you're dog fighting.

Unless SF expands it won't even be worth mentioning as one of Nintendo's best franchises. Also note how just about every other flagship series has evolved. Mario, Zelda and Metroid. SF is still struggling to find the right spot.
It's not supposed to feel like you're dog fighting. Because, I don't know if you actually know that much about video games, but Star Fox is not a "flight simulator" it's called a "shoot 'em up," which are scrolling games where you usually control some kind of aircraft that flies through a set path and shoots at the enemies that pass by.

The horizontal shoot 'em up Gradius, which, I don't guess you've heard of cause you don't seem to know much about video games outside of first party Nintendo, is an extremely hard game, as well, so, ya, there's challenge there. (Specifically Gradius III is a really hard game, and it's on Super Nintendo, so wow. There's that, maybe you'll play it.)

Also, how much has Zelda evolved? I know exactly what to do in every Zelda game I play, just because there is so little real evolution, and literally all the puzzles are easy to figure out. Just because I know how Zelda works, how it's set up, and the logic of the puzzles. Also, how much has Mario evolved? Specifically since the transition from 2D to 3D? Same with Metroid, how far has the Metroid series evolved since the transition from 2D to 3D? (FLUDD in SMS? The Dark World in MP2? Wolf form? All gimmicks that work within the same basic format, basically saying add gimmicks and special things to the game format, which, for SF is the shoot 'em up format.)

The point is, they haven't grown at all. Zelda, Mario, and Metroid did the "leap to 3D" which changed a lot of gameplay elements (not too many, really, essentially still the same games, except for the collection in Mario) and the thing about Star Fox is it started in 3D, so it didn't have to "Evolution point" of jumping to 3D during the 64 days.

Oh ya, and have you ever played Venom 1 on Expert? Because, that's pretty much a challenge (a lot harder than anything I've ever done in a Mario, Metroid, or Zelda game). Shoot 'em ups can be extremely intense and rewarding.

All Star Fox needs is more power-ups (nothing wrong with going the Gradius route for power-ups), more classic on-rails and a ramped up difficulty level.

Blazer

Smash Ace
What if people don't want just power ups? Not everyone agrees with you so stop stating your opinion as fact please.

Also, if you don't think those games have changed tyou have a bit of a problem.

All-range mode is freedom which is what some people want. I've played SF a heck of a lot too and my least favorite part is sitting waiting on enemies on my stupid rail based line. I liked running through an area and killing things on foot and shooting things from the sky while freely manuevering the Arwing. And whoever said dogfights in Multiplayer are too easily done, no. I used to have CRAZY matches with friends. The outcome was really random until I figured out their strategies (I learn psychological things quickly and so this was not long of course.) Even now I can still get shot down just because I make a single mistake in manuevering and get shot one time too many. It doesn't come to who can somersault more it's about who can think and react the quickest and who knows how to do what and when to do it.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Well, wasn't the original concept of Star Fox to be a 3D version of your classic 2D arcade top-view flight shooter?

Anyway, I think that there should be two main modes: arcade/classic and campaign. Arcade mode is mission based, on-rails with a few branching paths. The entire play-through is relatively short, but there should be a lot of replay value, just like your generic arcade flight shooter. Campaign is free roam and more story-driven, with semi-permanent powerups and save spots. The overall game shouldn't be clearly defined by missions, but be flowing.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
What if people don't want just power ups? Not everyone agrees with you so stop stating your opinion as fact please.

Also, if you don't think those games have changed tyou have a bit of a problem.

All-range mode is freedom which is what some people want. I've played SF a heck of a lot too and my least favorite part is sitting waiting on enemies on my stupid rail based line. I liked running through an area and killing things on foot and shooting things from the sky while freely manuevering the Arwing. And whoever said dogfights in Multiplayer are too easily done, no. I used to have CRAZY matches with friends. The outcome was really random until I figured out their strategies (I learn psychological things quickly and so this was not long of course.) Even now I can still get shot down just because I make a single mistake in manuevering and get shot one time too many. It doesn't come to who can somersault more it's about who can think and react the quickest and who knows how to do what and when to do it.
I'm not stating any opinions as fact. What I'm stating as fact is that the Star Fox genre is a shoot 'em up, just like the Zelda genre is an adventure game, and the Mario genre is platformer. If you don't know that, then you don't know the first thing about video game genres in general, obviously.

The point is, the current Star Fox games are not in line with the series original genre (and the only great Star Fox games were 3D shoot 'em ups.) While games like Zelda stay within the original genre (sure, little things change, but to say they've evolved into something completely different is completely ignorant.)

I'm sorry that you don't know what you're talking about, and multiplayer matches don't matter, because multiplayer in a lot of flight games is lacking, especially in Star Fox.

Ya, sorry, I don't have a problem, you just don't get it.

Sir James

The Doctor
Just go back to the old school star fox. Ground combat is what KILLED the Star Fox series. Fox should never leave his Arwing and the levels need to go back to the rails system. All-range mode is great but it should only be used during boss battles or the occasional epic fight (sort of like the SF64 level with the mothership attack).

Star Fox 64 was the best in the entire series. Developers need to look at that game and try not to screw up again.

Eight Sage

Smash Lord
in the range of 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255
Just go back to the old school star fox. Ground combat is what KILLED the Star Fox series. Fox should never leave his Arwing and the levels need to go back to the rails system. All-range mode is great but it should only be used during boss battles or the occasional epic fight (sort of like the SF64 level with the mothership attack).

Star Fox 64 was the best in the entire series. Developers need to look at that game and try not to screw up again.
That's exactly what I think...

But the idea of the same type of Star Fox game would be like the same, so...

Why not join Star Fox 64 + Graphics + New world + New Awesome story + No characters walking! + More massive fox team battles + Online = Best Star Fox EVER!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The horizontal shoot 'em up Gradius, which, I don't guess you've heard of cause you don't seem to know much about video games outside of first party Nintendo, is an extremely hard game, as well, so, ya, there's challenge there. (Specifically Gradius III is a really hard game, and it's on Super Nintendo, so wow. There's that, maybe you'll play it.)
You know this for certain? I mentioned first party Nintendo games to make a point. I have a PS2, I had a Gamcube and I play other people's Xboxs, I don't why you'd automatically assume I only play first party games.

SF's single player was never really fun. You play it a few times and suddenly you know everything that's going to happen. I don't know about you, but just because something is hard doesn't mean it's fun, God of War on God mode for example.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Why not join Star Fox 64 + Graphics + New world + New Awesome story + No characters walking! + More massive fox team battles + Online = Best Star Fox EVER!
Thats about it right there.

Although one thing i did like was planning your attacks before fighting in Command. It added a little something to the game. This could be easily done with the Wii remote, but might pose a problem for on-rails stages. Assuming the next SF is made for the Wii, I wonder how the controls will affect it...

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
You know this for certain? I mentioned first party Nintendo games to make a point. I have a PS2, I had a Gamcube and I play other people's Xboxs, I don't why you'd automatically assume I only play first party games.
I don't know if you've ever heard of hyperbole. It's a wonderful new concept.

SF's single player was never really fun. You play it a few times and suddenly you know everything that's going to happen. I don't know about you, but just because something is hard doesn't mean it's fun, God of War on God mode for example.
Haha, so now SF's multiplayer is more fun than SF's single player?

I rest my case, you don't know jack.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Although I do not believe that the single player in SF "was never really fun" I will say that it did get old after a while. There is no need to be arrogant bendu. Im not sure who you're trying to impress. Also know that hyperboles are rather difficult to detect through text. It's best to keep sarcasm to a minimum.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Yeah, having a patterened AI that always showed up in the exact same way did get kinda boring.

Neone though about plotwisde where starfox will go plotwise? It was confirmed a while ago tat there would be no chronological sequel to Command and that there was no true ending.

A remake of the lost starfox 2 perhaps?

vonfinell

Smash Apprentice
Getting rid of Krystal is optional, but still highly recommended.
Here's the simplest way to get the Star Fox Series back where it was on 64 (trying to move forward at the same time as returning to the roots would be too hard, so let's spend a whole game catching up.)
This game of catching up would be:
STAR FOX WII! That's right, another complete clone of the original, just like 64 was for the SNES version.
Obviously, you want new levels, more variety in the way levels can end, maybe a few more endings at the like, but in the end we don't need to continue the story.
It's like the Hulk movies. They realized the first one sucked, so are they going to run with it and try to make more of them to make up for it? NO! They are going to start over and hope nobody remembers the first one. Star Fox should do the same thing. Forget Adventures or Assault ever happened and just go back to the basics.
I'd like to see more things like Bill and Kat, except not joining your party, just popping in like they did in 64. I think an expanded Multiplayer and a Cooperative Story mode could also round out the game into something great. If they could somehow design Player 2 rail levels for each area, than as long as a party member was alive the second player could run through. They might cross paths occasionally, but it couldn't be on the same rail, because that would end in too many clumsy collisions. It's a half-baked idea, but one that just might work if executed correctly.
Landmaster is fine, Blue Marine should be used more often, but NO FOOT MISSIONS! Fox is NOT a martial artists, nor is he a Solid Snake sharpshooter ! As well as that persona works for Smash, it doesn't work for him in his own universe. Therefore, foot missions should be removed entirely or at least kept to a minimum.
I would also like to see an expanded system of your impact on the planets you visit. For example, if you shoot a building on Corneria, it might explode. You might get berated by General Pepper or your other teammates for it, and it might come back to bite you in the *** later (say, maybe if you were too reckless on Corneria you don't get as much funding from the army and so your ships aren't repaired as much in between missions?)
I also liked the Zoness idea of stealth. Shoot out the security systems so that they don't see you coming in on radar, than when you reach the bulk of the level they won't know you're there. There might be a whole level where you try to stay stealthy, and if you fail than on the next planet there will be an armada waiting for you.
These are all ideas, people!!!

The ideal would be that if they manage to not screw that up, they should make the classic Starfox Armada that they were planning on. Controlling your team and large fleets throughout the Galaxy to thwart Andross' plans, protecting planets and getting more funding for better performance so that Pepper will let you hire mercenaries or make addons to your ships.
Buy new ship models and upgrade them with the money given to you by Corneria (or looted from conquered planets) while also taking diplomatic approaches towards other planets that you don't want to raid.
It could be a whole game of "Sector Z"s and other space battles, with the additional addons of planetary combat if that came to it.
Once you gained enough respect a good enough leverage on the galaxy, you could call for an assulat on Venom, and the better you did during the game the more backup you'd have during Area 6 and the Venom Assault. There is an endless amount of possibilities that I could get into for hours, but I think that that is the track that the Starfox games should head towards.

I don't know, maybe it's just me.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
If you think the Star Fox multiplayer is better than the single player than you don't deserve to have an opinion on the matter. You can say that the whole game sucks, but if you say that the multiplayer is somehow better than the single player... you're just completely wrong and that's all there is to it.

SF's multiplayer is bare-bones and boring.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Am I the only one that LIKED Assault's gameplay? The ground parts were nice but they just need to take emphasis off of it. But seriously, why can't we have everything?

Top Bottom