• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How'd you choose your main?

StatusC

Smash Rookie
I remember when me and two of my buddies were playing melee one day and we decided to play where we would choose each other's characters. I naturally chose a bottom tier for the guy I was choosing for. The friend that was choosing for me said," I'll stick you with someone awful, be Mr. Game and Watch." You could see the disgust on my face as we started the match. I had hardly ever tried him before but when I started to play, something just "clicked", and he's been my main ever since.

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
It's a beautiful thing when people can say why they main who they do, and not go onto ramble about tier lists sorely and solely affecting them in a high manner. One should always main who they think "clicks" with them, like StatusC said, and not main the character because they are predictably better.

Slow characters, both ground and air, always click with me because I feel that I have better control with them. They just always feel right to me, and they always have to have that exact speed that's slow enough for me, both grounded and aerial. Though Marth is my only exception to this, I mainly play characters who I feel work with me best.

Last edited:

Twilight Emblem

Banned via Warnings
I read umbreons drastic improvement thread and narrowed my choices down to the good characters only
Then I saw Mango and Dr PPs falco and realized how much speed and potential and innovation is still left in this character
I saw that on top of that falco has a lot of good online resources to help you learn the basics. I mean the falco discussion boards has a huge falco resource thread with dr pp actively participating in handing out advice and helping other falco players. Thats a really big helping hand compared to other top tier characters.

I saw that playing this character would require serious discipline being as technical as he is so I felt like it would be a great way to push myself to start exercising/getting enough sleep etc good life choices to help the absorption of that tech skill and gameplay falco has

Gravitirax

Smash Cadet
In something like 2005 or so, I had a friend with melee. That friend always used to play Marth, and I tried as well and figured out that he's really good. Skip forward about five more years, I suddenly get curious about competitive melee. Look it up and find one of the nicest communities that I had ever seen. Get involved, remember marth, main.

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
I always chose Mario as a kid for no real reason other than I always played Mario games. I'm kinda stuck with him now these days and I was thinking about changing my main, but then I saw the tournament videos for 64/Melee and thought "Why change now?" (Of course I now use Dr. Mario about 50% of the time now).

Last edited:

Reck

Smash Rookie
NNID
Never actually thought about it but i needed to find a character that i was good with so one by one i played each of them until i found one that was fun for me to play and i liked. and i found fox. i played as fox competitively amongst my friends. Roy was also a fun one in melee. ah the sweet memories.

Last edited:

Kitsune91

Lone Smasher
3DS FC
4270-1611-3292
I played Fox and Ness in Smash 64 as StarFox and Mother are top favorites when it comes to a Nintendo series. However when Melee was released I really enjoyed Fox's new speed and moves! Once I unlocked Falco and tried him out I enjoyed both moveset options so much I've stuck with them since (sorry Ness).

Last edited:

T-R3X

Smash Cadet
I liked to play melee a lot. Usually I would just play by myself though since my siblings weren't too interested. I wanted to be good so I looked up videos and pros and learned about tier lists and things. The first videos I actually watched were old Bum videos, but I was a big ken fanboy so I started with Marth. I couldn't actually do any techniques at the time but I messed around with him and tried to get good with that. This was about 6 years ago.
2 years later I'm still watching videos and trying to get decent but I luckily meet some dudes who also like this game, so we began playing a lot more. Basically whenever we hung out at my house we would play melee for like 5-6 hours, mostly just FFA. We all were kinda interested in the competitive scene so we all started learning the techniques and with the amount we played I was actually able to learn them hahaha. I was using marth, some puff (I was a mango fanboy also), but I wanted something a little more unique so I started using DK (remembering that the first videos I watched were old bum ones) and then transitioned to Ganondorf cause beating event matches with ganondorf was easy and I got used to playing him. Ganondorf was my main for a good 3 years. I got what I would say "good" with him, really learning match-ups and the character moreso then I had ever before. We played each other pretty much exclusively for a while.
Finally I start actually competing, and of course I get whooped (though not too awfully) I had played some marth, some spacies, falcon, sheik etc (I feel like at some point everyone messes around with other top tiers) so I figured I should maybe start maining one of those instead.
Which leads me to where I am now; stuck in some weird state where I'm not really sure who to main, though I feel like my marth, falcon, falco, and fox are all contenders. I still use ganondorf in teams : D and I've been practicing a little bit puff and sheik since the people I play with nowadays want help with those match-ups.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
When I Started playing smash in 2012 I used Kirby in SSB64 I always spamed B But When I played Melee I Learned advanced techs like shine jump and wavedash and i first played Ness but i switched to Fox & Falco after watching old school smasher PC Chris and then I Also played Falcon & Ganondorf as Secondarys and I Chose to just play Falco and A secondary Fox , In 2013 Brawl I couldn't choose my main so I played every Character and finally I retired My Brawl Ganondorf to Peach for Project M in 2013 I Saw Wizzrobe play at Zenith 2013 ****** M2K 2-0 and I Played Sonic in 2013 to Now

mysteryracer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Sacredrose
I had started out by playing Doc when I first got into competitive Melee, but I soon realized that I was a bit too aggressive of a player to be a Doc player. In the middle of a Smash club that I go to, the club decided to have us play a crew battle. Thinking I wasn't gonna do well, I picked Jigglypuff—which I only knew the core basics of at the time. I ended up doing really well with Jiggs, doing some basic combos and getting some rests down. I ended up scoring 6 points, facing two of the best players at the club. Just like that, two destinies met, and Jiggs became my main character. I am currently exploring a secondary right now, but Jiggs will always be the star of the show to me.

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Let me just put it this way. The dark lord calls to those who are worthy. The dark side of the tech is a pathway to many abilities, some considered to be unnatural.

CAPOEI

Smash Rookie
I used to main Sheik. Sheik dittos all day with my brother. Got really good with Sheik. Stopped playing melee, started playing brawl. Stopped playing brawl, started playing melee. Picked up Peach because she was so trollsy. Started playing her more and more. By the time I was playing Peach 50% of the time, I saw Armada play. "I HAVE to learn how to play this character.".

Peach ever since.

JDavisR (NIX)

Smash Lord
NNID
Robertson1
3DS FC
2337-4618-3776
Wow I had no idea anyone was still posting on this thread, I never received any notifications lol, but nevertheless great stories everyone these are really interesting

Radical Larry

Smash Lord
NNID
Crimson-Vulcan
3DS FC
1822-3761-9326
Wow I had no idea anyone was still posting on this thread, I never received any notifications lol, but nevertheless great stories everyone these are really interesting
Yes, the same thing happens when you wait too long on a thread for any such activity. People reply to threads, you just got to get back on the thread.

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
When I jumped into competitive ssbm, I picked Peach because she didn't click right away and felt the least natural to me. It made the game new and fresh to me again after playing it casually for years.

Villast

Smash Cadet
I honestly just choose whoever I think is low in tier. Turns out most of my mains are high tier though. xD

Hoodlum

Smash Rookie
I ended up choosing Falcon because he was faster and more fun to play than Ganon. I switched to Falcon from Shiek/Ganon because shiek is just so stale. With falcon I can move fast and have fun! Of course the knees are good too!

JimiMotive

Smash Rookie
I used to main Marth and played a lot of Smash at my campus this past school year. I could beat everyone except one guy who somehow would always come out on top no matter what I tried as Marth. One day, out of the blue when I was playing one of my friends, I switched to Sheik knowing she was high tier. I'd never played as her seriously, but she just felt right and I decided I should try he next time I played the guy I couldn't beat. I beat him fairly easily, and I've stuck with Sheik ever since. He hasn't beat me since either.

I found out the reason he wasn't able to beat Sheik was because he would spend a lot of time playing level 9 computers, and couldn't get Zelda to stay Sheik to practice on. I must admit it was pretty satisfying seeing him keep playing against Zelda in his spare time as soon as I beat him.

Fools Requiem

Smash Cadet
I main Link in Melee because I mained Link in SSB64. I mained Link in 64 because the Up B was a great "get out of jail free" move that cleared up some breathing room on both sides at the same time. Then I got good with the Boomerang. Even if I'm not all that great, people hate my Link.

Of course, Link is abysmal on Brawl so I moved to Lucas.

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
Link was my main prior to brawl because of how well balanced he was. Pikachu became my main in brawl when I beat two of my friends in a two on one stock battle.

TheHartChip

Smash Rookie
I chose Luigi before I even knew about competitive smash bros. I like his up b and his side b. I liked his side b because it feels like there is a natural timing to misfires that I can just feel sometimes even though they are random.Then when I saw the teir lists I decided that if I reach the top then I will use mid teir characters just to stick it to the man. :p

Thor

Smash Champion
I always liked Link and Falco, before I knew anything - Falco cuz he's cool and Link because Link felt sooooo good as a casual (up+B anyone? best camping cuz casuals can't really use lasers too = run away on big stages and then up+B them to death XD )

Then I picked up a bunch of Link tech - bomb jumping and working on making sure I can hookshot BF, ledge-cancelling dair, as well as some general tech (mainly L-cancelling).

I headed to a smashfest and my Link was leveled (predictably). Everyone was like "You should play Fox."

Me: I have no tech skill.

But then I realized what jumping out of shine was, and that Falco's shine has the perfect launch angle to make jumping out of it good. And also I like his dair and fsmash.

So now I play this mediocre (ok bad) Falco that also will pull out Link because the Falco didn't work for whatever reasons (Peach gimping Falco seems to occur with me a little much, but Link can actually try tricks to get onstage), as well as possibly picking up Samus later (most likely to be paired) with Falco cuz she's sort of like Link but better.

P.S: I should probably change my main icon at some point, but Link looks cool there so I haven't done anything with it.

Last edited:

BigMan23

Smash Rookie
Sheik. Been playing Melee since release, and I've tried everyone in the game at some point or another. Eventually, I went to sheik. Not really sure why, she just feels right. Seeing Mew2King's videos have definitely helped me improve as well. This is gonna be quite a fun journey!

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
I was only 9 years old
I loved Captain Falcon so much, I had all the games and the entire anime
I pray to Captain Falcon every night before bed, thanking him for the life I've been given
"Captain Falcon is love" I say; "Captain Falcon is life.
MrHazuki hears me and calls me a fagg0t
I know he was just jealous of my devotion for Captain Falcon
I called him a cuntt
He slaps me and sends me to go to sleep
I'm crying now, and my face hurts
I lay in bed and it's really cold
Suddenly, a warmth is moving towards me
It's Captain Falcon
I am so happy!
He whispers into my ear "Show me your moves"
He grabs me with his powerful falcon hands and puts me down onto my hands and knees
I'm ready!!
I spread my a$$-cheeks for Captain Falcon
He penetrates my butt-hole
It hurts so much but I do it for Captain Falcon
I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water
I push against his force
I want to please Captain Falcon
He roars in a mighty roar as he fills my butt with his love
MrHazuki walks in
Captain Falcon looks him straight in the eyes and screams "Falcon PAWNCH"
Captain Falcon leaves through my window
Captain Falcon is love. Captain Falcon is life.

Last edited:

milligraham

Smash Apprentice
My first real main was Captain Falcon. I love his fast speed, the crazy combos, and of course the knees. I always love watching crazy sets and combo videos from players like Hax, SilentSpectre, Darkrain , etc. Doing well with Falcon is one of my favorite things in smash. I eventually switched to Falco for a little while because I felt I could do better with him. Falco was one of my favorite characters when I was a casual, also for some reason I always preferred playing as him instead of Fox. One problem I had was trying to get the tech skill that's so crucial to playing a spacie at higher levels of play. After being a Falco main for a while a random idea appeared suddenly in my head. Sheik. I didn't know much about how to play Sheik. I had seen what some players like M2K, KDJ, and Isai could do with Sheik so I decided to give it a shot. I found the great grab game, simple yet effective combos, and less demanding tech skill compared to that of Falco to be a great fit for me. I also noticed that I could wavedash with her so easily so that was another bonus. Most the time I use red Sheik b/c that's the color Isai would use. I've been better about giving my Falcon some love recently too.

-=Untamed-Beast=-

Smash Journeyman
2003 - Unlock Roy. Sword, cape, fire. Main Roy.

2013 - Main Marth.

I'd imagine not much else needs to be said, except that videos of Ken @ MLG + M2K in the following years definitely helped.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
I've played smash for so long I don't even remember who I first played as. It honestly was probably Fox because that seems like the most natural and obvious choice
I would've made at ~8 years old. Probably used him consistently to unlock everybody else via 1 player stuff. Then I got Roy and played him for like six years straight because he was more fun than Fox and Roy's neutral B explosion and fire were cool as hell. Then I realized Marth was way better overall and switched (and also because Roy dittos got dull with my brother). Brawl killed my Smash gaming until 64 started being a thing in my friend circles; when that happened, all I did was shuffle through Fox, Pika, Kirby, Samus, and Yoshi. Never really got that into 64 but it was fun to chill out and trade characters around. Nothing like how I am now, playing one character constantly and only changing it up so I can refine that main one by using a character with a completely different ideological construct.

Now I play Sheik and Puff and am in the process of picking up Peach. Them ladies, man. I'll still occasionally use Marth but my jank mindset is kinda eternally bound there and I get frustrated whenever I get punished for f-smashes (which is a lot) and simultaneously lost my sense of counter camping. I don't get how to use his mobility (or Fox's for that matter) and Sheik stood out to me as being really fluid and having a winning projectile to learn how to do that without any predetermination issues going on. Plus watching m2k shino stall made me wonder about all kinds of mechanics of the game that I hadn't thought of previously. She's still my most solid option right now. Puff came from watching hbox stuff and also from playing four-for-all matches drunk one night and realizing that rollout and rest steal kills with minimal punishment (and top level laughs). Hbox seems like a good guy and everybody gives him a hard time for playing Puff even though he really does know her well and she's a hell of a time to play. Rest combos are so hype and I wish I were more consistent with her.

Peach came recently with Project M when I had my buddy come over and try it out with me; he picked up Peach and immediately challenged my Ivy. I always hated her for d-smash tomfoolery. But now I'm looking more into the character and having a sense of sheik and puff mixing where the ground game and spacing aspects are good, except I have a more rewarding panic button (d-smash instead of dtilt) and the aerial game is immaculate. Turnips are weird since I'm used to projectiles being linear, but now it makes me understand utility more.

I guess a lot of it is I just really wanna familiarize myself more with this game that I've been playing pretty singlemindedly for years, so I'm picking mains that shy away from what I did as a kid.

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
I played Smash 64 and that's where I was introduced to Link. Then I played a bit of OoT and liked the game, and as I started using Link I noticed he was my best character and felt most comfortable for me to use. So when Melee came out, I mained Link without question. Even to this day, Link still feels most comfortable for me to use and I main him in tournaments, his tier placement isn't stopping me from maining him.

OgiEthan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OgiEthan
3DS FC
2766-9108-2825
I always thought of Fox and Falco as the biggest badasses. I'm a huge Legend of Zelda fan, and since sheik happened to be pretty great in melee, it worked out perfectly. :')

OgiEthan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
OgiEthan
3DS FC
2766-9108-2825
Aaannnnddddd not to mention :marthmelee: is the man. He's always felt so fluid with his movement

_yuna

Smash Apprentice
I chose him because I like his design. And after playing "The Binding Blade" I appreciate him more. Other than that he's just a blast to play, despite being so bad. His movement is really juicy. His wave-dash, dash-dance, short-hop, and fast falling speed all contribute to him feeling really quick. And while he does have a shallow combo game - the few combos you have are very fun to pull off.
And D-Tilt on spacies is pretty great. :yeahboi:

Godwin_Point

Smash Cadet
When i was younger i used to play SSB 64 on my brother's computer. I used kirby because i thought that multiple jump + strong B up was the best recovery ever.
Then i started playing melee with a friend arround 2006, so i picked up kirby without knowing that he had been nerfed a little from SSB64...
I was tired of beeing utterly destroyed every time i played(i had no melee experience) so i bought the game and started looking arround for "advanced technique"
the first i leanred was wavedash and since luigi had the best one in the game i picked him up as a main.

I stopped playing melee for years but i just got back into it, and seeing vudujin play confirmed for me that playing luigi was fun and that he may be tournament viable, so i'll try to win some in France with him :luigimelee:

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
My group of friends would always play Smash. That was our go-to. Everyone pretty much played just because, but for me and this other guy, we at least wanted to go a little further, i.e. we would put some effort into researching and found out about l-cancelling, etc. I can't recall if I had a main at that point, but it would usually be him or I winning the free-for-alls. One day, he picked up Sheik, and I lost my ability to win. He would do these crazy combos and always end with Fair. I got so furious and I think I just started testing every character in the game for a counter. Peach comes out, and immediately I noticed one of her moves were special, her down smash. whenever he would approach, I just flicked my c-stick down and it vortexed him in and dealt over 20%. Keep in mind this was before I knew about concepts such as adaptation, punishment, DI'ing out of multi-hit attacs, etc., and I'm sure he was in a similar boat. I didn't even know about Peach's various idiosyncratic traits like float-cancelling or turnips. Nope, just down smash. I think I wacked him enough with it that he became scared of it, and it made it even worse for him to deal with the spam.

So that was the primary reason I fell in love with Peach. I also liked the fact that Peach is kinda tabuu in casuals with a bunch of guys and it made it funnier that I would win with her. All the things I picked up from her later, such as her float cancel just made me stick with her more.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
i just always wanted to play as zelda so when i seen that i could i just picked her and i was good with her i played as her so much i got her all star mode trophy with out even playing all star mode

Top Bottom