• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hub House III - San Francisco: 5/1/10

pockyD

Smash Legend
in light of having a few tournaments already scheduled upcoming, probably not

i really just want to do these when there are 2 week no-tournament gaps

pockyD

Smash Legend
Ok, updated the first post

Of note (in yellow)...

STAGES:
-NOTE: IF BOTH PLAYERS/TEAMS AGREE, you can use whatever rules you want for selecting the stage, including random, random with resets, strikeout with stadium and KJ64, playing on hyrule, etc. These are the "official" rules which will be used if you cannot come to an agreement with your opponent(s).
-Game one will be chosen via stage strike. Use RPS to determine who strikes first (if controller port is an issue, then the person who loses the RPS gets to select their controller port first). The players alternate striking stages from the Stage list until there is one stage left, which will be used for game one. ALL LEGAL STAGES will be used for stage striking. In singles, as there is an even number of stages, the first player to strike will strike TWO stages. The players will then choose their characters for game one AFTER the stage has been selected.
-Dave's Stupid Rule: No player may choose the stage they last won on
-After game one, counterpicks will be standard with the advanced slobs format. Winner bans a stage, Loser chooses a stage, Winner chooses his character, Loser chooses his character
-As opposed to the previous tournament, this time we will be trying an extremely conservative stage set, based on the set of pound 4 stages with one exception.

Legal Stages:
Final Destination
Dreamland 64
Battlefield
Yoshi Story
Fountain of Dreams (Singles only)
Kongo Jungle 64
Pokemon Stadium
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Flatzone (Game one ONLY)

Why is Flatzone on?
It's an experiment on the practical merits of stage striking. If you don't like the stage, strike it. If you don't like the ruleset, don't come, or hope your opponents dislike it equally (in which case you can choose not to play it by the first Stages rule)

Remember, Flatzone is NOT a legal counter-pick; it is only eligible for the game one stage strike.

This is a one-time experimental rule that will not be used in future tournaments and is merely here to satisfy my curiosity. Deal with it.

Why are all legal stages used for striking?
There is no perfectly neutral stage, and the purpose of stage striking is to find a happy medium within the existing set of "fair" stages. All stages deemed fair enough to be played should be fair enough for game one.

This will very likely become a permanent rule at these tournaments.

Stage theory is one of my favorite things to talk about smash-wise, so if you would like to discuss it, feel free

Adam M!

Smash Lord
although you never explicitly spell it out, i gathered that you're using all CPs for the game 1 striking system too?

sounds like it's gonna take too long

tinkering too much is dumb. the last thing id want to do is take 5-10 minutes to decide what stage to play on.

pockyD

Smash Legend
these are like 20-man house tournaments

i'd never 'try it out' at a CGC or anything, even if i had the power to

adding 4 extra stages to strike in game 1 probably adds about 5-10 seconds per set, since those extra stages are implicity less 'fair' than the 5-stage set and are likely no-brainer strikes

if time is the issue, then the real solution is to go back to the random system (except get rid of resets) or do BATTLEFIELD ONLY (which I like in theory but the boredom+complaint factor is huge)

Adam M!

Smash Lord
if you take 5 minutes to stage strike, you and/or your opponent are dumb
a lot of it is "automatic" anyways
adding 4 extra stages to strike in game 1 probably adds about 5-10 seconds per set
i can't take you guys seriously until you stop using ridiculous insults/hyperbole to refute what i said

do i REALLY have to paint a freaking scenario of why it could take longer than you think

get real guys, maybe it's because norcal has 1 tournament a month

socal has already had like 2 tournies where we used p4 rules

pockyD

Smash Legend
stage striking moves very quickly in my experience

and the best way to determine how well that would scale up to a larger stage set is to try it, which is what i want to do

Adam M!

Smash Lord
i know in the big picture it's not a big deal, i'm just whining because it annoys the **** out of me

god even in teams without stage striking, i am constantly annoyed at how it takes ****ers, especially noobs, to counterpick. omfg you're going to lose anyway just pick a stage

ender

open your parachute
BRoomer
we dont get many noobs at these tournaments since there is no promotion outside of smashboards so they move pretty quickly since everyone knows the general rules.

Rosedemon

Smash Champion
The only time I get ticked off by someone counter picking or stage striking is when playing with/against Rey.

He takes way too **** long to pick stages. Even when it him + Vanessa.

NintendoKing

Smash Champion
I know I said Kevmoney and I were going try our best to come down for this tournament, but I got to thinking...

We're traveling all the way from ABOVE Sacramento to go hang out with a few friends, play smash, and enter in a small tournament. Regardless of the skill-set of the people that go, it's still a small *** tourney.

If we're gonna make the trek all the way down to SF, or the bay for that matter, I really want it to be at least kind of an event. And, honestly, a small tourney doesn't sound enticing enough to persuade us to shoot down there.

So I'm gonna reschedule our trip down there to fit one of the larger tournaments instead. Hopefully pre-tournament overnight housing will be in the mix so we can party it up or "hangreeferout"

We'll definitely be down there before 09 is up though, you can guarantee that.

<3

Top Bottom