• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hut of the Move Tutors: Mewtwo's Combo Compendium

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Here's a cool combo/string i have been using alot lately that often ends in a KO if the opponent doesn't escape the confusion correctly

(Jab) > Dtilt > fh Fair > Aerial Confusion > dj Fair > Fair (or Shadowball if you read a airdodge/attack)

(Works at around 20 - 40% on most characters)
That is actually a really good combo string. Fair-confusion isn't true, but I think there is only one option to get out. and the confusion-rising Fair true combos, IIRC, and the SB/Fair links. I will try to learn this combo, it seems to work really well.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
That is actually a really good combo string. Fair-confusion isn't true, but I think there is only one option to get out. and the confusion-rising Fair true combos, IIRC, and the SB/Fair links. I will try to learn this combo, it seems to work really well.
Keep in mind this was a Roy, who is a fastfaller. I wouldn't try it with everyone.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Works with everyone. I put up percents for rosa earlier
The one oddity i've seen so far is Jigglypuff who is almost always knocked too far away/too high from the first Fair for the Confusion to connect. Otherwise it seems to work well on everyone from what i've tested!

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I think these are some good Uair combos that i didn't see listed in the OP. The sourspot hitbox of Uair is difficult to hit with reliably but it's easy to hit with Tipper and Sweetspot especially out of a shorthopped airdodge.

(Note that these don't necessarily need to be fastfalled)

Combo ---- (Percents where it combos in general) ---- (Damage it deals)

shff Sweetspot Uair > Fair (50 - 80%) (24% dmg)
shff Sourspot Uair > Fair (60 - 105%) (22% dmg)
shff Tipper Uair > Fair (75 - 125%) (20% dmg) Works well as a KO setup

shff Sweetspot Uair > Dtilt > fj/dj Sourspot/Tipper Uair (35 - 55%) (23 - 25% dmg)
shff Sourspot Uair > Dtilt > fj/dj Sourspot/Tipper Uair (45 - 60%) (25 - 27% dmg)
shff Tipper Uair > Dtilt > fj/dj Sourspot/Tipper Uair (55 - 70% (21 - 25% dmg)

shff Sweetspot Uair > Dtilt > fj Fair (40 - 55%) (28% dmg)
shff Sourspot Uair > Dtilt > fj Fair (45% - 60%) (26% dmg)
shff Tipper Uair > Dtilt > fj Fair (60 - 75%) (24% dmg)

shff Sweetspot Uair > Grab (20 - 55%) (11% + Throw dmg)
shff Sourspot Uair > Grab (30 - 65%) (9% + Throw dmg)
shff Tipper Uair > Grab (70 - 100%) (7% + Throw dmg)

shff Tipper Uair > Dashattack (90 - 110%) (17% dmg)

shff Tipper Uair > JC Usmash (85 - 105%) (23% dmg)
shff Sourspot Uair > JC Usmash (75 - 100%) (25% dmg)
shff Sweetspot Uair > JC Usmash (45 - 80%) (27% dmg)

While not a true combo shff Tipper Uair > F-smash links well above 80% and often KO's though i haven't tested how reliable it is with DI yet.

Also, a Footstool Shadowball Lock Setup:

Jab > Weak Utilt > Footstool > Dj Cancel Shadowball Charge > Shadowball Lock > Anything (Works best from 60 -70% up) (11% dmg)

EDIT: Fixed the percentage ranges and added some more combos

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

I think these are some good Uair combos that i didn't see listed in the OP. The sourspot hitbox of Uair is difficult to hit with reliably but it's easy to hit with Tipper and Sweetspot especially out of a shorthopped airdodge.

Combo ---- (Percents where it combos in general) ---- (Damage it deals)

shff Sweetspot Uair > Fair (50 - 80%) (24% dmg)
shff Sourspot Uair > Fair (60 - 105%) (22% dmg)
shff Tipper Uair > Fair (75 - 125%) (20% dmg) Works well as a KO setup

shff Sweetspot Uair > Dtilt > Sourspot/Tipper Uair (35 - 55%) (23 - 25% dmg)
shff Tipper Uair > Grab (70 - 100%) (7% + Throw dmg)
shff Tipper Uair > Dashattack (90 - 110%) (17% dmg)
shff Tipper Uair > JC Usmash (85 - 110%) (23% dmg)
shff Sourspot Uair > JC Usmash (75 - 105%) (25% dmg)

While not a true combo shff Tipper Uair > F-smash links well above 90% and often KO's though i haven't tested how reliable it is with DI yet.

Also, a Footstool Shadowball Lock Combo:

Jab > Weak Utilt > Footstool > Dj Cancel Shadowball Charge > Shadowball Lock > Anything (Works best from 50% up) (11% dmg)
How easy is the Uair-Usmash? That seems crazy that it would work at KO Percents...

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
How easy is the Uair-Usmash? That seems crazy that it would work at KO Percents...
It's quite easy to combo as long as you can aim for the right hitbox with the Uair and initiate the Jumpcancelled Upsmash afterwards with correct timing! I gotta test it more with DI in different directions though as i just looked at it briefly, but it seems like a nice KO setup!

The Uair combos Works well in conjunction with SHAD imo as its a quite Safe way to initiate the combos in a battle.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

It's quite easy to combo as long as you can aim for the right hitbox with the Uair and initiate the Jumpcancelled Upsmash afterwards with correct timing! I gotta test it more with DI in different directions though as i just looked at it briefly, but it seems like a nice KO setup!

The Uair combos Works well in conjunction with SHAD imo as its a quite Safe way to initiate the combos in a battle.
It seems like it will not work on any character smaller then Mario, on account of Mewtwo's large size. However, this combo should work on all the top tiers except Pikachu and maybe ness, and this combo should be really easy on CF and Shiek.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
It seems like it will not work on any character smaller then Mario, on account of Mewtwo's large size. However, this combo should work on all the top tiers except Pikachu and maybe ness, and this combo should be really easy on CF and Shiek.
Yeah that is true and the characters a Uair can hit grounded is very similiar to Captain Falcons Uair. Uair is very weird in that the hitbox comes out much later than what the animation looks like.

After a bit more testing i think that the Tipper Uair to Usmash combo doesn't work against Sheik (and possibly other lightweights) at KO percents if she DI's away, but im gonna look more into it.

I now added some additional combos in the post i made before, maybe Uair combos doesn't seem that useful at first but i think it's good if all true combos we can find for Mewtwo is written down.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Yeah that is true and the characters a Uair can hit grounded is very similiar to Captain Falcons Uair. Uair is very weird in that the hitbox comes out much later than what the animation looks like.

After a bit more testing i think that the Tipper Uair to Usmash combo doesn't work against Sheik (and possibly other lightweights) at KO percents if she DI's away, but im gonna look more into it.

I now added some additional combos in the post i made before, maybe Uair combos doesn't seem that useful at first but i think it's good if all true combos we can find for Mewtwo is written down.
These combos are going to shape Mewtwo, even though they are hard, people should still learn them.

What is that new jab lock combo like? It seems relatively easy. It also looks like it can kill, does it true into disable? Or do they have time to shield?

I will be doing a rather major revamp to this thread pretty soon, I won't be able to add more characters for a while longer, but I will test combos and make it all look pretty. (Or professional, doesn't really matter.)

I added some of the combos you listed into the combo list in the meta game thread, but I haven't updated this one quite yet. I am going to work on that now.

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
These combos are going to shape Mewtwo, even though they are hard, people should still learn them.

What is that new jab lock combo like? It seems relatively easy. It also looks like it can kill, does it true into disable? Or do they have time to shield?

I will be doing a rather major revamp to this thread pretty soon, I won't be able to add more characters for a while longer, but I will test combos and make it all look pretty. (Or professional, doesn't really matter.)

I added some of the combos you listed into the combo list in the meta game thread, but I haven't updated this one quite yet. I am going to work on that now.
Nice to hear that the thread is being worked on! Was just gonna ask about that.
I think it would be a good idea to add percentage ranges and damage to the combos in the OP if it isn't too much work.

If you need any help with testing and percentages or such i would be happy to help.

Here's what the Shadowball lock combo i came up with looks like:

Jab > Weak Utilt > Footstool > Dj Cancel Shadowball Charge > Shadowball Lock > Disable > Any move

The opponent has no window to shield disable so yeah it's a good KO setup if you can learn to do it consistently. As with all footstool combos the timing is pretty tricky though.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Awesome, thanks for your help. I was just thinking of putting General Percents up, for example we take the average of a medium, light and heavy character and average it to find a general percent window.

I have been doing a lot of work in the meta game thread and on the diddy boards recently so I haven't been able to do much in this thread, but I will try to revamp it.

Percent wise, if you could do the footstool combos then that would be great, I am not quite adept at those yet. I can do all the other Percents. If you want to, you can also work on the character specific combo Percents, and I will add those to the OP and give you credit for them. I have 46 more characters to go... Any help is appreciated. However, I am using a phone to write so I won't be able to do anything major until Monday or possibly Sunday, but I will definetly get any Percents or combos into the OP. I just can't do any lobbing for a bit.

Is the jab-Utilt true? It looks like there might be a few open frames... However, I think it is no more then 2 or 3, and I might be wrong...

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Yeah i tried to do general percents for the combos i listed, and i think it is a pretty good idea to add to the thread since then it's easier for people to understand when to apply the combos. The damage the combos deal isn't that important but it would also be nice to be able to see.

I'll see what i can do regarding the percents! 46 characters sounds like quite a challenge so i can start looking at some of the ones you haven't listed yet.

Jab > Utilt doesn't register on the combo meter, but i think there are no move/jump/airdodge fast enough to interrupt it. It's also hard for the opponent to react to it so even if it's not true it chains very well.

I'll have to test this one a bit more though, but i thought the idea was cool :p

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I think it would be a good idea to add percentage ranges and damage to the combos in the OP if it isn't too much work.

If you need any help with testing and percentages or such i would be happy to help.

Jab > Weak Utilt > Footstool > Dj Cancel Shadowball Charge > Shadowball Lock > Disable > Any move

The opponent has no window to shield disable so yeah it's a good KO setup if you can learn to do it consistently. As with all footstool combos the timing is pretty tricky though.
You sure the opponent can't just roll away after the shadow ball lock? Then again I don't know much about those...

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
You sure the opponent can't just roll away after the shadow ball lock? Then again I don't know much about those...
Nope but it's a pretty common misconception. After a footstool the opponent can't tech and if you hit the opponent with a weak attack right as they land they are forced to do a normal getup allowing you to get a free followup attack. (Mewtwos only attacks that can lock are shadowball and down angled Ftilt)

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Nope but it's a pretty common misconception. After a footstool the opponent can't tech and if you hit the opponent with a weak attack right as they land they are forced to do a normal getup allowing you to get a free followup attack. (Mewtwos only attacks that can lock are shadowball and down angled Ftilt)
If there is a 2-3 frame gap, then the combo still links. As air dodges are usually frame 4-5 and only one or two characters MiGHT have an aerial that is fast enough.

I tested Jab-Utilt when finishing withUsmash was a thing (didn't work) so the opponent shouldn't be able to get out. I was just wondering if there was enough time between the Utilt and footstool, looking back at my post I can see that I posted the combo wrong. Sry. It looks like it works and Utilt should deliver enough hitstun, but I am wondering how fast Mewtwo has to act to get the footstool, I doubt it is frame perfect, so there might be a handful of frames that allow Mewtwo a bit of breathing time.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 Yeah i don't think it's frame perfect. There might actually be a small window after the Utilt where the opponent can act but like i said it have to look a bit closer if this is the case or not (might be a bit different depending on percent too).

The hard part about doing this (and Mewtwos other footstool lock setups) is footstooling without using your double jump since you need the double jump cancel (most other characters can mash the jump button to get the footstool) but after you get that down it's not so difficult to time!

Btw, here is another true combo that uses the Tipper Uair (Similiar to @pikazz combo)

shff Tipper Uair > Dtilt > dj Tipper/Sourspot Uair > Fair (34% dmg) (seems to work at around 55 - 75%)

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Hey Metalex Metalex , about that shadow ball lock... what happens if you try to do it with a fully charged ball in your hands?
If you try it with a fully charged shadowball you will shoot it before Mewtwo is able to fall down to the ground and miss the opponent. If you have a shadowball at say 75% charge you will still be able to hit the opponent, but it will not lock since there is too much knockback from the Shadowball so there isn't really any reason to attempt it. (at very low percents im fairly sure a semi full charged Shadowball can lock though!)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If you try it with a fully charged shadowball you will shoot it before Mewtwo is able to fall down to the ground and miss the opponent. If you have a shadowball at say 75% charge you will still be able to hit the opponent, but it will not lock since there is too much knockback from the Shadowball so there isn't really any reason to attempt it. (at very low percents im fairly sure a semi full charged Shadowball can lock though!)
Couldn't the charged ball work well as killing move in the combo if it were done close to the edge?

Also, could you replace the disable after the lock with another jab to potentially restart the sequence? Or can they DI to avoid the utilt or footstool at some point?

Last edited:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
meleebrawler meleebrawler Yeah it could, but i think it's more rewarding to get the lock and then do a disable into Smash attack but it might be useful in some cases.

And yep you can defeínitely do another Jab after the lock to do it again! The damage you get from it is pretty small though but it's interesting to think about if it really is inescapable.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

meleebrawler meleebrawler Yeah it could, but i think it's more rewarding to get the lock and then do a disable into Smash attack but it might be useful in some cases.

And yep you can defeínitely do another Jab after the lock to do it again! The damage you get from it is pretty small though but it's interesting to think about if it really is inescapable.
If you master this combo and know kill Percents then this could be a possible infinite, being able to do it until you run out of stage or they get to too high of a percent.

I will test it out to see the applications of this combo.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
If you master this combo and know kill Percents then this could be a possible infinite, being able to do it until you run out of stage or they get to too high of a percent.

I will test it out to see the applications of this combo.
Yeah, the thing im thinking about is if the opponent can DI from the Jab to get hit by the stronger hit of Utilt if they are prepared for the combo when you try to do it a second time to break the combo, but ill test it.

The applications of the combo is pretty straightforward imo as it is such a low risk/high reward move coming from a Jab.

In a way i kind of hope it's not a true infinite though as Sakurai tend to remove them and mess up the moves in the process (like what happened with links Jab after the infinite were discovered)

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yeah, the thing im thinking about is if the opponent can DI from the Jab to get hit by the stronger hit of Utilt if they are prepared for the combo when you try to do it a second time to break the combo, but ill test it.

The applications of the combo is pretty straightforward imo as it is such a low risk/high reward move coming from a Jab.

In a way i kind of hope it's not a true infinite though as Sakurai tend to remove them and mess up the moves in the process (like what happened with links Jab after the infinite were discovered)
Well fastfallers at least aren't open to followups from jab unless you catch them in the air until they reach a certain percent so it's not like it'll be a zero-death or anything like that... usually when I jab such a character at a low percent or I catch them at the very end of jab's range I just go for the multihit.

Sonicninja115

Tomorrow I will try to do the combo list for R.O.B., that will allow me to calculate the average percents that the combo will work. I took a 4 characters, each ten slots apart, and I should be able to find the average using them.

redcometchar

Smash Journeyman
I feel like dtilt footstool isn't talked about enough. You can definitely get guaranteed footstool setups for a long time, at least 40% on heavy and mid weight characters. On some fat characters guaranteed 90%+ are possible. I tested dk specifically just now. Dtilt to footstool tirple shadow ball lock works until around 70, then dtilt to dj nair to fair leaves you with anywhere from 90 to 100% on dk, depending on charge of shadow balls and move staling.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision

Managed to pull this off in an offline match! : D
-I tried like 10 times though, and yeah, you need some crazy precision for this! D:

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Managed to pull this off in an offline match! : D
-I tried like 10 times though, and yeah, you need some crazy precision for this! D:
That's cool to hear! :) I also thought it was really difficult to do in the beginning, but now i can do it almost every time so just keep practicing the timing

Sonicninja115

Oh, so I had a couple of things pop up, so the update is sometime next week.

Also, I am starting a community/community approved Mewtwo guide, and that might be up tomorrow, so make sure to look for that.

Sonicninja115

Hey Metalex Metalex , I looked into the footstool combo, and found that if the Jab is improperly spaced then it is possible to DI out, however, it is not punishable so still worth.

And when doing Phase-Uair-Usmash, I found that it is possible to buffer the Uair out of the Phase, making this combo really easy and simple to pull off!

With the footstool combo, is there a way to predict which side the opponent will land on? I find it very hard to be facing the character with the SB for the jab lock and was wondering if there is a way to predict it or move Mewtwo.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
Sonicninja115 Sonicninja115 Yup that's what ive discovered too, and it could probably be cause Jab 1 seems to have 2 hitboxes (set the opponent to 999% in training and you will see that if you hit close the opponent will not fly far, but will be KO'd if you hit with the tip of Jab 1). The closer hit of Jab 1 is probably not possible to DI from though but not sure.

And yeah i've also started experimenting with buffered Uair out of a Phase and like you say it's probably one of the safest ways to hit a grounded opponent with a Uair! It's really nice.

As for a way to predict which side the opponent will land on i've figured that is probably the hardest thing with the combo. If you jump very slightly backwards before and after the footstool it's more likely that the opponent will land in front of you (I think i did that in the example shown higher in the thread). Otherwise you need to predict that the opponent will land behind you and and do a B-reverse shadowball charge. I agree that it's quite a problem though so i will look more into it...

Sonicninja115

Hey, update on the update, I am going to get started on that. I have had so many things plus school.

I am taking up PM for a bit in hopes of learning more smash fundamentals, I will however, still be working on data for this thread.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Wouldn't Shadow Ball to Dash Attack be a combo? I've done it many times on humans and CPUs. If you're close then you can do it.

Sonicninja115

Wouldn't Shadow Ball to Dash Attack be a combo? I've done it many times on humans and CPUs. If you're close then you can do it.
Possibly, it might depend on where they are and how you throw the SB, but it is a possibility.

I am going to be away from my Wii u for a couple of days so someone else would have to test it.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
Possibly, it might depend on where they are and how you throw the SB, but it is a possibility.

I am going to be away from my Wii u for a couple of days so someone else would have to test it.
I've tested it already multiple times. I don't think it'll work on a super floaty character like Jigglypuff, but against fastfallers, it's a true combo.

If you're close to them and you're on the ground then it'll combo. It's also pretty decent since it does around 36%.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

I've tested it already multiple times. I don't think it'll work on a super floaty character like Jigglypuff, but against fastfallers, it's a true combo.

If you're close to them and you're on the ground then it'll combo. It's also pretty decent since it does around 36%.
Full charged? And it might break shields... Or cripple them.

Metalex

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mettalex
3DS FC
2509-3509-1078
I can't get FCSB or Small shadowball to register as a true combo into Dashattack whatever im doing, what distance from the opponent do you need to be?

Edit: After further testing im pretty sure that it doesn't combo, but would be cool if it worked.

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I can't get FCSB or Small shadowball to register as a true combo into Dashattack whatever im doing, what distance from the opponent do you need to be?

Edit: After further testing im pretty sure that it doesn't combo, but would be cool if it worked.
Hmm. They may be able to air dodge it. So I don't think it's true, but it can work.

Top Bottom