• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hydrant Cancel

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
We were talking on the discord group about a new AT called... Hydrant Cancel.

To perform , when you are going to use the hydrant use jump and then Down B

Looking the framedata we can see ( http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/PAC-MAN ) :

Patch information:

@ Framedata it seems that it is almost same amount of frames, jumpsquad + air hydrant but when you try to perform it it seems that you can act faster. We think that FrameSpeedMultiplier clausule helps that it can be possible.

Zage did a comparision gif, check it out:

https://gfycat.com/LivelyKeenAllensbigearedbat

Let's talk about this guys, we think that it is important because you can act faster.

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you're able to act 5 frames sooner if you land on the hydrant with the aerial version of down-b.

Just to clarify though, you have to down-b right after the 5 jump squat frames are over, otherwise you interrupt them and get the grounded version. Speaking of which,I think most important question is if the extra 5 frames of start up in the form of jump squat is worth it. I don't see much application for this outside some combos that start with hydrant.

Last edited:

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
Nice dude!

With PAC-MAN being one of my pockets after I dropped him for Meta Knight, I may pick him up again and this could be my saving grace.

What I had seen is that you can do this out of jump-squat (which means out of shield or jump canceling I think), so from my stupid assumptions, this means its like a JC Up-Smash?

Zage

Smash Journeyman
JC is different because you have to cancel the jump squat frames into usmash to get the effect,

With this, you have to wait until Jump squat ends and you're considered airborne.

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Yeah, you're able to act 5 frames sooner if you land on the hydrant with the aerial version of down-b.

Just to clarify though, you have to down-b right after the 5 jump squat frames are over, otherwise you interrupt them and get the grounded version. Speaking of which,I think most important question is if the extra 5 frames of start up in the form of jump squat is worth it. I don't see much application for this outside some combos that start with hydrant.
An important note is that this means that OOS SH Hydrant is actually a real option, at least as real as any grounded Hydrant.

Frame Perfect SH Hydrant is probably the fullest, most correct name for this technique. There aren't any "cancels" involved.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend

Just to clarify though, you have to down-b right after the 5 jump squat frames are over, otherwise you interrupt them and get the grounded version..
How is this possible though? Does it mean Pac-Man is the only character who can cancel his jump with a down special? I thought you couldn't do this.

I'm not saying you're wrong since the gif is right there, but it's interesting if doing it early really gives you the grounded version.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
How is this possible though? Does it mean Pac-Man is the only character who can cancel his jump with a down special? I thought you couldn't do this.

I'm not saying you're wrong since the gif is right there, but it's interesting if doing it early really gives you the grounded version.
That's the most likely scenario.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I've been doing this as an OoS option for a while now, but I didn't know that it worked outside of shield as well.

This could be great for hydrant usage in nuetral altogether since we can jump away before an opponent tries to punish us much sooner than before.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Should you be visibly off of the ground when you down-b?
"Visibly" is kinda a misnomer. 5-frames is far faster than the human reaction time. Its something you'll have to execute with muscle memory.

But yes, PacMan will be "visibly" off the ground for a single frame when you do this technique.

Last edited:
Top Bottom