• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hypothetical Online Smash MONEY TOURNAMENT

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Here's an idea:

There will be a single paypal account made soley for these tournaments and players will send however much the tournament costs to this paypal account. based on tournament results, the total amount on that paypal account will be handed out to the players (there shouldn't be a venue fee in ANY of these type of tournaments and if there is one, don't join it)

The possibility of making BANK is more than enough initiative to bring out the inner competitiveness out of these sandbagging CHUMPS

People who don't pay can STILL enter but will not get any of the pot money.

Let's say GAV entered the tournament for free and got 1st place and frogles got 2nd and so on. Gav won't get the money even though he got first. Frogles will get the 1st place share and 3rd place will get the 2nd place share and so on.

I need a vote on who will most likely enter one of these hypothetical tournaments? I'm thinking of hosting one and the entry cost will be 1 dollar.​

#HBC | ѕoup

The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
oh my.

so, let's say i entered. (payed the dollar fee) now.. how would this money accumulate?

do you need money from players? or do you need donations? what would be the cap?

and most importantly, how much? :nifty:

anyways, i would join it for sure, money tournaments bring out the best of everyone.

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301
I've been thinking about something like this ever since i started smash. I would definitely join a money tournament. Half the server says they sandbag, I'd like to see them say that when money is on the line.

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
boom has a good point

whoever is the bank has to have a reputation to lose at least

Skrlx

Smash Champion
i will talk to malva about holding this position

surely we can TRUST HIM

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
you would basically have to make DL the only playable, or maybe just congo as counterpick or something, hyrule camping is bad enough already without cash on the line

Battlecow

Play to Win
i would pay/play..as long as I am not situated vs a player who refuses to play.
Yeah, you'd be unable to join these if I/some other sensible person decided I/they wanted to join. Sad. Thing about money tournaments is, johns get taken seriously.

Also this would have to be a NA only thing.

I probably won't join any. I wouldn't win, so it's a waste of money and it's not like offline tourneys where getting to play awesome people and getting all that camaraderie is well worth the entry fee.

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
First of all, when I was 16 I had tons of money from WORKING

Secondly, lol for a dollar I'd STILL sandbag

C) online tourneys take so long, you could probably make legitimate interest on the pot :p

NovaSmash

Banned via Administration
3DS FC
2079-8171-3301

C) online tourneys take so long, you could probably make legitimate interest on the pot :p
sandbagging all the time is an excuse for not being very good at smash

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Nova, simmer down son

And online money tourneys just seem silly. throwing around money to people you dont even know so you can lose it to Isai or boom later on...

then boom asks me "p2p" 5 mins later and im like...why did i pay for that?

keep real tourneys funded, online tourneys free :)

SilentSlayers

Smash Journeyman
I agree. You can't just put your money out to random people on the internet like that. And it seems only good for Boom and malva. XDD

DtJ Glyphmoney

Summoned from a trading card
BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
If I may offer my humble opinion, if you want people to not sandbag offer like a $20 prize for first place, don't make people pay in. Step up as a TO to make your tourney a success.

But what do I know.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
If I may offer my humble opinion, if you want people to not sandbag offer like a $20 prize for first place, don't make people pay in. Step up as a TO to make your tourney a success.

But what do I know.
I love your idea and i may personally do this.

I wouldn't be hard pressed to throw 20-30$ at a tourney to help competitive growth, if we can get a good count, active players... and of course the S tier players should join :D

The only issue really is everyone who joins would have to have an active paypal...or something of the sort. Wouldn't they?

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Well back when I ran tourneys, I'd offer $20 worth of wii points/xbox whatever/paypal. Just some means of getting them their prize ha

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Well back when I ran tourneys, I'd offer $20 worth of wii points/xbox whatever/paypal. Just some means of getting them their prize ha
yep, I won a wifi tournament on another forum for a prize back when I played brawl wifi.

offering a prize>payment as people will sign up.

I am very tempted to make a tournament with giving a prize.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
yep, I won a wifi tournament on another forum for a prize back when I played brawl wifi.

offering a prize>payment as people will sign up.

I am very tempted to make a tournament with giving a prize.
If you are also interested in throwing some down...maybe we could get together and make a decent prize :o

Battlecow

Play to Win

Hey man, I got hella legit bank. I have a job.

It just seems unamerican to me to pay for something you could get for free. If I have no chance of making money and the tournament's nothing special, I don't see why I'd throw money in. The only way to make tourneys like these reasonable for us nubs is to:

1. Make them so awesome we'll pony up the cash for 'em.

2. Make us think we have a chance at glory/cash.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Haha you have legit bank gangsta? I got one of dem infinite money cards ya know what i mean playa?

i don't even know why i'm on ma hustle an grind, stackin that paper, when i just swipe the card mayeng if i want something, ya heard?

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
ok then...either way

If we had a pot of 50$ that you didn't have to pay to get into (but you do require a paypal, or some other means to get the cash / points) how many people would be interested in playing?

This kind of tourney would be live...and by that i mean there would be a date for people to show up and who ever is there, that registered...plays.

Online tourneys drag out to much and DQs become awkward when time is the factor in a money tourney.

Also there would have to be a no tolerance lag policy as well as some very firm location limits (5 frames is not very good for cash games and this would be p2p only)

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Haha you have legit bank gangsta? I got one of dem infinite money cards ya know what i mean playa?

i don't even know why i'm on ma hustle an grind, stackin that paper, when i just swipe the card mayeng if i want something, ya heard?
You realize joining a website for super smash brothers is about the least gangsta thing you can do, right?

Skrlx

Smash Champion

I fixed your post so that Glyph can understand it.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Ahh, you'll have to excuse me. I should have looked into your post history before passing judgment.

Statement withdrawn.

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Heh that's what I get for trying to be sassy in a community I didn't know yet.

As an apology here is a song.

<object width="0" height="0"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMRDRycFJ-8?fs=1&autoplay=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WMRDRycFJ-8?fs=1&autoplay=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></embed></object>

DtJ Glyphmoney

BRoomer
NNID
Tip_Tappers
3DS FC
1032-1228-5523
Clearly you are not hustlin

Top Bottom